• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do specialty oil canola plants freeze easier than regular canola?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do specialty oil canola plants freeze easier than regular canola?

Had a -2 frost a few days ago and almost every field around of Invigor L258HPC is wiped out and the Invigor L340PC fields are hardly touched. All seeded side by side with the same drill on the same days.

The Invigor L258HPC is the healthy oil. Wondering if there might be issues with some varieties being less frost tolerant than others?

Mostly cotelydon to 1 leaf.

New invigours have been bred up into GMO Frankenstein monsters.

They will be the first thing growing right after Putin drops the big one.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
      Had a -2 frost a few days ago and almost every field around of Invigor L258HPC is wiped out and the Invigor L340PC fields are hardly touched. All seeded side by side with the same drill on the same days.

The Invigor L258HPC is the healthy oil. Wondering if there might be issues with some varieties being less frost tolerant than others?

What was seed size difference ?
      Where was country of origin on seed tag ?
      Just curious.
      I have seen significant differences in conditions like this over the years

Comment

Nexera is usually a wuss around here. Flea Beatles thrive on it

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
          Nexera is usually a wuss around here. Flea Beatles thrive on it
          nexera , never again , after last years seed **** up
          must say its nice not having to watch that shit take a month to look decent

Comment

With the higher oil content it seems to start heating easier in the bin as well.

Comment

Just me, but I've always felt the premium never quite covers the potential risk. In my mind proven out over time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                Just me, but I've always felt the premium never quite covers the potential risk. In my mind proven out over time.
                I agree. From lower yield, lower viger, lower drought and flee beetle resistance, difficult delivery windows, the odd load rejected for being out of spec which should be impossible, to not curing and having 4% green despite shelling out while you swathed. Someone else can grow it.
                Last edited by Grahamp; Jun 4, 2022, 15:36.

Comment

Which seed cost more?

The more expensive it is, the quicker it dies. That’s why volunteer canola can survive the apocalypse.

Comment

I grew nexerra 3 years. First year through a particular elevator company which will remain nameless and a dreadful situation, and other two with ADM in lloydminster. Honestly have to say ADM had it set up quite well and delivery wasn’t a problem nor selling the overage at the premium price. At the time it was $1.25 premium and seed cost was $1.25 premium over regular non nexerra. Last year I grew nexerra it yielded 5 bu better than my other stuff. Never grew it again because I like ending on a high note. Next years after that the seasons did not cooperate with nexerra.

Comment

Canola is hardly ever “wiped out” from frost
                      We have never reseeded or wished that we had
                      And lots have reseeded all around us
                      Reseeded very seldom yields as good as frozen
                      This is on about 40 year observation
                      Patience is a virtue
                      Weed control and flea beatles control becomes extra important
                      Closest we ever came was after 3 frosts over 2 weeks
                      Crop ins said we had 1 plant per sq foot left and they would insure it
                      Supposed to have 2
                      It went 50 when 50 was huge
                      Last edited by Guest; Jun 5, 2022, 09:19.

Comment

These ones have been hit 3 times in a week
                        They will make it like Case say’s because we took the beetles out asap . Still needs a rain but that’s out of our control .
                        For a rescue treatment we use matador plus 1.5 lt of Alpine G22
                        Gets rid of pressure and add a bit of nutrient to help it recover faster
                        Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 5, 2022, 13:23.

Comment

90% of the time it’s the beetles that take the canola out quickly after a frost , not the frost itself
                          But I have seen frost wipe out canola a few times , but it was under stress before frost . Small seed don’t help at all in any stressful conditions

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

These ones have been hit 3 times in a week
                            They will make it like Case say’s because we took the beetles out asap . Still needs a rain but that’s out of our control .
                            For a rescue treatment we use matador plus 1.5 lt of Alpine G22
                            Gets rid of pressure and add a bit of nutrient to help it recover faster
                            Has anyone done any reseeding due to frost this year or are guys still working on the first pass. Fert supplier said her had 18 nh3 wagons being pulled still.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg364 View Post
                              Has anyone done any reseeding due to frost this year or are guys still working on the first pass. Fert supplier said her had 18 nh3 wagons being pulled still.
                              Not locally, but did hear east and south east of here.
                              Some in far NW by St Wahlburg

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...