• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flexicoil double tank/boom sprayer…….

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexicoil double tank/boom sprayer…….

Just curious if anyone has one of these and what they think of them? Our SpaCoupe is still waiting on timing gears for 6 weeks and now Agco can’t even tell us where they are. Kinda giving up hope on it being usable this year. I bought a 72’ Flexicoil 62 sprayer in a panic expecting to not use it but it’s done everything so far and been fairly reliable. I’d like something wider going forward and noticed a 100’ 67XLT with a 1,000 and 500 gallon tank with double booms. Don’t really see a need for the double of everything but may find it useful possibly down the road.

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the benefits and drawbacks of such a setup………

Thanks in advance

The idea was that you could spot spray with the 2nd boom for things like wild oats in crop, or have a high dose of glypho for chemfallow on first pass with grass creeping in, etc...

Honestly? Most guys pull the 2nd booms, cut holes in the tank divider, and tie the agitation valves together. Bonus is you now have a backup pump, filter body, etc.

Comment

Have used a lot of those sprayers. Used to buy a 120' every five years, had two all the time. Figured it cost me about 50 cents an acre to spray with them. I had a dual tank, dual boom one once. The idea was to use my aerial photos that I took prior to harvest to map the wild oat spots and use the small tank for oat chemical and just spray the spots. Worked okay until I had done it for a couple of years then of course because I had sprayed the spots I couldn't map them any more. I ended up using the dual booms as a quick change for different nozzles. I just used the big tank and swapped the boom hoses when I wanted to change between nozzles. The extra pump and valves are handy if you have any failures. Just check the pins on the wings and the knee joints on the boom tires on any used one you buy. And be careful when towing, your shimmy dampers on each boom wheel have to have some friction on them. If not and you get a shimmy you will shake your wet booms apart and maybe even break and axle. Don't ask me how I know! Good luck with your search. Over all in my opinion you won't find a much more durable, economical way to spray without sacrificing the quality of your job. One more important thing, my comments apply to the 67 model series the earlier ones were too light.

Comment

Originally posted by pgluca View Post
        Over all in my opinion you won't find a much more durable, economical way to spray without sacrificing the quality of your job. One more important thing, my comments apply to the 67 model series the earlier ones were too light.
        I'm still using a system 62... we ripped the pivoting booms off and put sched 80 PVC with triple nozzles in its place. Clamped them down so they can't wear out.

That stupid thing sprays close to 10,000ac/yr now and just keeps going... With no "breakaway" feature you just have to be plenty respectful of fenceposts, and power-poles. She's a dirt cheap unit to put in the field though!

Comment

Using CaseIh/ Flexicoil PS 130' 1600USG, spray 150 acres /hour, 250 acres per tank. Nozzle to target 20" all the time. Worthless, no overhead costs. Saved $500,000

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
            Using CaseIh/ Flexicoil PS 130' 1600USG, spray 150 acres /hour, 250 acres per tank. Nozzle to target 20" all the time. Worthless, no overhead costs. Saved $500,000

We found this one close by . 1850 gal , 100 ft
            Have it tied to Outback max for sectional, auto rate , and potential variable rate if it ever rains for liquid streaming. Will take the heat off the Case HC
            That outfit cost us less than tires and rims on a new machine
            Will be able to cover acres in short periods between winds and low temperatures with the two

Comment

Have a Fast 9613E sprayer, no idea what those numbers mean but 1350gal and 100’ booms, man is it nice. Cost me $30k.

Comment

I run a 67xlt with the dual tanks and booms all intact. 120 feet, stretched to 130 with homemade swinging breakaway booms on each end for dragging on fences.

My intention was that I would spot spray wild oats, thistles etc. Which I do occasionally. Mostly I just haul extra water and chem in the small tank and transfer it to the big one, since I am usually a one man show, and don't have a sprayer nurse truck. Can also switch chemicals without cleaning everything out, by switching tanks. Or pump left over into the other tank if plans/weather changes. Can also just haul extra water and carry extra chem for those occasions where I find I need a higher rate than anticipated, but don't want any mixed product left over.

If a pump fails/leaks, valves etc. always have a spare. If a wet boom breaks ( I use it in some extreme situations, and too many obstacles), can easily swap in the field.

As far as I know none of them came with factory rate control on the second tank.

Since I quit abusing the factory breakaways, it hasn't needed much welding. But needed a lot before. Keep extra spindles, and wheels, check for cracks regularly in the casters, and around the boom pivots.

Flow meters fail regularly, I upgraded to a raven (calibrated to the flexicoil monitor) this year, so far so good.

Road transport is the weakest link. Somehow the caster locks will come unpinned occasionally, and the booms tangle together, wreaking havoc on the ends, or one ends up in the ditch.

All common parts seem to still be available. Georges in Penhold seems to still stock most parts as a bonus.

Cost of ownership is embarassingly low, pennies per acre. Just can't go as fast as the SP, limited by pump capacity, and ground conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Just curious if anyone has one of these and what they think of them? Our SpaCoupe is still waiting on timing gears for 6 weeks and now Agco can’t even tell us where they are. Kinda giving up hope on it being usable this year. I bought a 72’ Flexicoil 62 sprayer in a panic expecting to not use it but it’s done everything so far and been fairly reliable. I’d like something wider going forward and noticed a 100’ 67XLT with a 1,000 and 500 gallon tank with double booms. Don’t really see a need for the double of everything but may find it useful possibly down the road.

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the benefits and drawbacks of such a setup………

Thanks in advance
                  Just a quick question Woodland. Have you checked with Polar Industrial Services ltd. In Edmonton for timing gears for your Spra Coupe? Polar is a Perkins industrial motor dealer according to their website. If I remember correctly you have a 7650 or 7660 sprayer.

Comment

My two cents.
                    I would be happy to own a suspended boom pull type if I could.
                    I've had them before and wouldn't go back to a wheeled boom ever.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of different ideas I didn’t think about. There’s a lot of collective knowledge on here👍

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                        Just a quick question Woodland. Have you checked with Polar Industrial Services ltd. In Edmonton for timing gears for your Spra Coupe? Polar is a Perkins industrial motor dealer according to their website. If I remember correctly you have a 7650 or 7660 sprayer.
                        I will definitely have to try them. I tried Simpson Maxwell as they did decent with an older Perkins we rebuilt but were useless for this model. Should have just flew to England and picked them up myself as it would be cheaper and less frustrating………….

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          I will definitely have to try them. I tried Simpson Maxwell as they did decent with an older Perkins we rebuilt but were useless for this model. Should have just flew to England and picked them up myself as it would be cheaper and less frustrating………….
                          I was going to suggest Simpson Maxwell they used to be really good with Perkins parts. Did you try the cat dealer as well?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                            My two cents.
                            I would be happy to own a suspended boom pull type if I could.
                            I've had them before and wouldn't go back to a wheeled boom ever.
                            My dad was running this pull type and did a good job. He doesn’t want to do the SP as it’s too complex. Not sure how good the booms on a suspended model would follow in our hills and how much more complicated that would make it to run? I know our spray coupe can’t keep up with the booms for following in the hills and we have manually help it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              I was going to suggest Simpson Maxwell they used to be really good with Perkins parts. Did you try the cat dealer as well?
                              Tried Finning but they weren’t able to do anything. Our wheel loader has a Perkins labeled as a Cat and that has 18,000 hours and hasn’t been touched yet. Quite the difference in quality obviously

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...