• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giddy-up Feeder Cattle!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giddy-up Feeder Cattle!

Big technical break in corn futures this week definitely welcomed news for cattle feeders. U.S. plantings have accelerated rapidly over past 10 days approaching the five year average seeding pace for this time of year. Moisture conditions across the eastern corn belt appear excellent. Feeder cattle . . . solid gains this week.

Higher feeder prices much needed while I wade through water cutting down trees and fixing fence. I don't think cattle guys have worked this hard to keep cattle on the farm as much this winter and spring for a long time. But we got green grass now and dugouts are full so things looking up.

Comment

I feel as though the whole livestock industry is at the mercy of the packing plant. It would be like only having one buyer to buy our grain. They have huge profits and the bottom guy get crumbs. Cattle farms are in shambles no extra money to replace any aging equipment, corrals or buildings. How can this be sustainable, once the equity is used up they will be done? Please feel free to flame away but I feel this industry could be in deep trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
        I feel as though the whole livestock industry is at the mercy of the packing plant. It would be like only having one buyer to buy our grain. They have huge profits and the bottom guy get crumbs. Cattle farms are in shambles no extra money to replace any aging equipment, corrals or buildings. How can this be sustainable, once the equity is used up they will be done? Please feel free to flame away but I feel this industry could be in deep trouble.

This winter a super b of canola and a tridem load of cull cows was almost worth the same money. I know which one is easier and less stressful to produce🍀

I can see plenty of pasture getting ripped up if $9 barley and $2 calves continue for very long……………

Comment

Three cattle guys around here sold off their cows this past 10 days. No rain, no grass and little to no water in some dugouts that rely on runoff, water table dugouts at about half full. Situation is bad. Makes sense prices would go up when you have nothing left to sell.

Comment

Sadly I see a continuation of a trend started decades ago. Both in costs and sales outlet. The business model has been offside and upside down for a long time.

Comment

Realize the fat market is a different beast, but packers remain well covered into early July. Stateside, there are huge numbers on feed which suggests heavy marketings into summer.

This doesn't paint a bright price picture near-term as packers still have solid bargaining control. But the silver-lining may be a possible marketing hole created by late summer / early fall. This could trigger better buyer demand and better cattle prices once supplies and carcass weights begin to shrink.

Also feed supplies may be more ample. Lower fall corn prices appear possible. Also, suspect more feed wheat available should late planting season drag on. We'll see . . . . an opinion.

Comment

It’s been in trouble for decades. When an industry depends on the base of the chain to live on bugger all it is inevitable that it does not last. Most of the younger generation aren’t as dumb and naïve as mine and previous were. In fact before BSE it appeared we were in not too bad a place for the cow/calf guy. Think the downfall was inevitable bse or not. If the land has the ability to grow a reasonably profitable crop it’ll get farmed. Cows will go to town.

Feeder numbers have been shrinking for years. What has changed and made this apparent is the increase in finish weights. Makes me wonder how much more they can pack on a fat. What chapter of this collapse are we in? We’ve all been predicting it for 18 years.

Comment

I started ranching in 99 and I sold 40 calves and averaged 806 clear, the price isn’t much better now, 1/4 of pasture was Les than 30 grand and diesel was 36 cents, framing houses is what I did before ranching and a guy that worked for me is now getting more than 10 times per square foot than we did in 99, I kinda wonder if I made the right choice.

Comment

Feed is totally 💯 in trouble in western Sask and eastern Alberta
                    This is not good
                    Add in crazy high fuel prices , added carbon tax’s and feed even from eastern Sask and Manitoba will be completely unaffordable…. Thank the coalition government

Comment

Maybe they can get electric semi trucks to deliver the feed to remote areas of western Sask within a month????
                      Ask chuck how that goes

Maybe they can charge those electric trucks up with portable diesel generators on the backroads so it will all work out
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 2, 2022, 22:45.

Comment

The grass has stopped growing here already and 2-3 weeks ago south of here to the border

Think about that , it’s June 3

Comment

I am sure with Justin and Jagmeet at the helm with all their Agricultural experts at hand they will have a solution
                          Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 2, 2022, 23:36.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...