• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real life high tech planting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real life high tech planting

It can be a real pain ITA at times as Zach shows. We had sensor issues as well this year, can drive a person nuts in short seeding windows. When it all works its great but ya, can be very frustrating at times.

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    It can be a real pain ITA at times as Zach shows. We had sensor issues as well this year, can drive a person nuts in short seeding windows. When it all works its great but ya, can be very frustrating at times.

youtu.be/GB3FvbkxrKs
    Amen!

Comment

Last year was sold an XCN 1050 monitor to run steering, cart, liquid system and section control.
      Worked okay last year as long as you had knowledgeable support at your fingertips.
      This year was a nightmare. We lost ~ cumulative 8 hrs to it not working at all or not properly. Records are a mish mash or non-existent. It was horrible. You can't move without these damn things.
      Next year we are dumbing down with two Pro 700s to run everything. Hopefully support improves as well.

Comment

I bought a used planter this year and we could not get the computer to communicate with the planter. We finally said enough of this and seeded with my drill. I think the planter is working fine but could not monitor rows etc/ pro 700 and also 20/20

Comment

This thread deserves it's own section.
          The tech guy in the dealership most important guy in season and they don't have enough trained guys.
          Critical systems and we're running with old software and literally dumb OSs. Constantly changing.
          We save big money with things like section control etc but we can't even run the buggars manually to get done and you're sitting on the moon for support.
          Totally let down by the manufacturers constantly changing providers, and the dealerships not concentrating on techs.
          Was a totally disgusting spring.
          JC himself could make promises on our current monitor and I wouldn't believe him. Ha, VR a dream until we get reliability. Can't even save test plots.
          It is amazing more of these $8000 pieces of glass don't get smashed.
          My shed literally has to stay red.
          So what's the fix??????

Comment

So what's the fix?????

A discer, just drop the front wheel in the rut and go.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              This thread deserves it's own section.
              The tech guy in the dealership most important guy in season and they don't have enough trained guys.
              Critical systems and we're running with old software and literally dumb OSs. Constantly changing.
              We save big money with things like section control etc but we can't even run the buggars manually to get done and you're sitting on the moon for support.
              Totally let down by the manufacturers constantly changing providers, and the dealerships not concentrating on techs.
              Was a totally disgusting spring.
              JC himself could make promises on our current monitor and I wouldn't believe him. Ha, VR a dream until we get reliability. Can't even save test plots.
              It is amazing more of these $8000 pieces of glass don't get smashed.
              My shed literally has to stay red.
              So what's the fix??????
              Yup agree 100% .
              They want to push all of us into this high tech b/s and ya the justification is there with input cost but FML it needs to work , and work every time in a very short time period . And yes without a tech guy that’s available and very knowledgeable… all of it is just junk time wasting stress creators

Comment

Forgive my knowledge of corn but people have been seeding yellow peas, chicks and kabulis with a plain ol shank drill for decades. Neighbor tried soy with his drill came up fine.

What’s so special about a planter? Look like a pain in the ass to me.

Comment

Hundreds of millions worth of seeding equipment parked in Manitoba yards (high tec stuff) while old wore out valmars and floaters blow seed out and harrowed in with anything with tines. P.S. my old 70's JD
                  fingerplanter puts a corn seed every 6 inches without a computer and you can walk into any JD place and still get parts.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Yup agree 100% .
                    They want to push all of us into this high tech b/s and ya the justification is there with input cost but FML it needs to work , and work every time in a very short time period . And yes without a tech guy that’s available and very knowledgeable… all of it is just junk time wasting stress creators
                    It is all a world conspiracy by Bill Gates. New world order of farming. L.O.L.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                      Hundreds of millions worth of seeding equipment parked in Manitoba yards (high tec stuff) while old wore out valmars and floaters blow seed out and harrowed in with anything with tines. P.S. my old 70's JD
                      fingerplanter puts a corn seed every 6 inches without a computer and you can walk into any JD place and still get parts.
                      Been using the 40 foot Valmar on the back of the 3/4 ton for the past 10 years since strictly going into forages. A Honda five HP works the blower, while the gear box of the Valmar is turn by a ground driven wheel.

Round up old fields, then heavy harrow, Valmar seed on, heavy harrow again, then roll.

The only tech used is a GPS unit in the 3/4 ton while the seed is being blown on by the Valmar.

Never need to call at technician for our seeding operation. We do require an old time mechanic for our major breakdowns.

It works for us and I realize not everybody can operate their farm in the same matter and do require more sophisticated seeding equipment then us.

As farmers we all use what's best suited for our own individual operations.

No two farms a like.

Comment

Zack from the first video will trade his as soon as a more complex one comes along.
                        Hopefully with 6 more screens of useless info you can scroll through looking for the one that tells you you are going 10 mph on a rented field thats 1/2 done when you have gone around the headland 3 times.
                        As long as he can be on the top of the list to get the tec to come 3 times a day he will be OK.

Comment

I bought a new drill 3 years ago with the latest and greatest technology. After running it for 2.5 seasons I have had 0 down time because of mechanical issues. All of my down time has been electrical, monitor and sensors. Company support has been pretty good but it's still frustrating. A company rep brought an engineer out to ask me what I liked and didn't like about the drill. I told him the electrical systems need to be more dependable. Dumb it down to make it more reliable if need be. All the gains we are supposed to see from this technology get erased pretty quick when the sun is shining and the wheels aren't turning. The drill I was using 12 years ago, could seed with out the monitor. One time the monitor died and I seeded for 3 days waiting for its replacement. I can't even run the conveyor without the monitor on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                            So what's the fix?????

A discer, just drop the front wheel in the rut and go.
                            They break down too. FML

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post
                              They break down too. FML
                              Blackpowder;
                              We run a New HOLLAND air seeder at SHERWOOD Park with a receiver on the drill to input GPS. Variable rate fertilizer, 4 tank new style Flexicoil/New HOLLAND. Works well, precision openers.
                              I
                              Talk to Ray at Snethun in sedgewick he can fix you up with good reliable seeding equipment… with local support that is superb and best parts inventory around.

Dealer support is key, you can’t beat Snethun’s for that.

They have 4 year old seeders they just finished seeding with and replace them each year, so the bugs are out of them.

Give Ray a call, they are good people.
                              780-384-2195
                              Cheers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...