• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good idea for very wet areas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Liquid tank went down if anyone knows what calf shit yellow clay is? It's not fun when soaked

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
        Liquid tank went down if anyone knows what calf shit yellow clay is? It's not fun when soaked
        Sounds a bit like the blue pup shit clay around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

One guy near me was out compacting his land I presume trying to “dry it out” with one of those glorified recreational disc machines. What a mess! One guy seeded a bit yesterday, but the conditions are horrible. Just because you can drag a seeder through a field does not mean it’s going to work.
          That is my sentiments exactly on our soil. Spring tillage of any kind is a disaster on my wet clay. Even driving across the field on a wet spring is a mistake, because of the compaction. A Disc being the worst possible option in the spring. I look at these vertical tillage machines and all I see is lots of weight lots of rotating components pushing down and disc blades. I'm sure they are the answer in places with the right kind of soil.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; May 24, 2022, 10:45.

Comment

I hit every acre with a Salford 4100. It aerates the ground and makes a beautiful seedbed. Without it the water just sits there and stagnates, it’s amazing what a bit of air will do. The 2100 would probably be better for spring work but have to use what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
              I hit every acre with a Salford 4100. It aerates the ground and makes a beautiful seedbed. Without it the water just sits there and stagnates, it’s amazing what a bit of air will do. The 2100 would probably be better for spring work but have to use what you have.
              We did all our low areas last fall , sure nice to seed through in spring and helps with potential frost issues in those low lying areas

Comment

I harrow every acre in the spring with a BG 6000 mid harrow. Left a quarter for the cows to pick. Seeder operator couldn’t believe how much wetter and easier pulling that field was even though cows ran on it. Makes me wonder why I do the things I do. Since I got a rotary machine with a better chopper and spread I really question the necessity to harrow everything. I don’t run a hay rake for a drill so flow through isn’t a big issue it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                  I harrow every acre in the spring with a BG 6000 mid harrow. Left a quarter for the cows to pick. Seeder operator couldn’t believe how much wetter and easier pulling that field was even though cows ran on it. Makes me wonder why I do the things I do. Since I got a rotary machine with a better chopper and spread I really question the necessity to harrow everything. I don’t run a hay rake for a drill so flow through isn’t a big issue it seems.

I am generally not a fan of heavy harrowing. Did some lastyear and was amazed how it was a little wetter than unharrowed. It sealed the cracks somewhat. Learn something new every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                    I have some spots where it’s pure white clay underneath. First pass, you make it through. Second pass you sink. And when you sink, you’re screwed. Go back the next day and the ruts are full of water. When I was tilling, I could never seed through those areas. Now you would never know it’s there.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      I am generally not a fan of heavy harrowing. Did some lastyear and was amazed how it was a little wetter than unharrowed. It sealed the cracks somewhat. Learn something new every year.
                      That’s my idea as well. Usually when we harrow it seals it and levels out the moisture. Makes a good seedbed essentially.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                        We did our first 1000 ac ahead of planter to try to seal up cracks . Worked good , moisture held well till before rains came but left it very dusty on top .

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                          I don’t who named them floaters?
                          I always see them as sinkers.
                          We call them rut trucks around here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...