• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about too wet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
    Fertilize for 25 bu canola and 35 bu wheat. If you can't make money with those yields phone RB auctions, maybe you'll make the centerfold in next springs catalog.
    You joke, but with the large increase in inputs, we'd better hope we keep seeing $15 wheat and $25 canola. During rain delays this week, just for kicks and giggles I did a rough estimate using today's input and machinery prices. On rented ground, I was looking at around $500/ac just for wheat. Or over 32 bus/ac at Sept 2022 prices. This is in SW Sask

Comment

This season is becoming more and more of a risk management scenario than happy times growing a big priced crop. Guys in the west too dry, guys in the east too wet and crop seeding and progress way behind the norm.

The precontracting will be nil now. Probably wasnt that much to start with after last year.

And I am not convinced we wont see a rug pull yet this yr in the economy. Shortage or not, when it tips it drags everything down with it.

Comment

CBC found farmers who are oh so happy with the rains. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
          Just looked at forecast and it’s more rain on Tuesday and cold. It just won’t get a chance to dry out. If we are in the same pattern as this winter with snow every few days it will be hard to turn a wheel.
          Oh come on, highs of 5 with piles of rain and snow on May 19th is proof of the climate change dontcha see?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            I’ll keep going till the 20 th of June and then it’s crop insurance. Inputs get cut back in two weeks.

This may sound stupid but I cleaned some oats just in case. I look at it as a win win. Late seeded can still produce something and if the cowboys want some greenfeed it may work out.

I notice some of those cowboys have some very empty stack yards.

What is really sad is to watch pasture with fences get worked up when so many cattle guys are looking for grass.

But the new owners think farming it is more productive and profitable.

Not sure how you take a section of grass that produced nothing last year and think its going to be a win this year.

Grass has an extensive root system that catches and uses every mm of moisture.

Last year it knew it was time to head out at 4 inches tall.

I watched guys spray out tame grass only to end up with summer fallow after seeding it.

Comment

Neighbors got a floater, going to use on Canola if no change in weather soon.

Anyone had a descent crop floated and harrowed?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post

I heavy harrowed canola in 2011 I think, back when it was very wet. Worked out ok.

Valmar on the harrow. If it was wet like that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I think I remember that double harrowing helps for better seed to soil contact.

If the ground has a crust , best to break it up a bit then put the canola out on the second pass, better mixing.
                Last edited by bucket; May 15, 2022, 22:20.

Comment

My best was about thirty, worst fifteen. What mattered most was having something growing to us a bit of th moisture. It can work. But it only works if it doesn’t stay soggy the whole year.

Comment

Works fine in years like this. Don’t need much moisture after floating to get it to grow and no worries with getting it to deep. We usually seed a bit heavier and only incorporate once.

Comment

Floating on canola is common around here in the wet years. I have not done it myself but this is what has been done on neighboring fields: Spread with floater then use a Salford vertical till. Float canola blended with fertilizer on stubble and incorporate with deep till followed by a light spring tooth harrowing. I helped a buddy combine some oats last fall that were floated on to canola stubble then incorporated with a K line high speed disk from Flaman and then rolled. Seeded early June. Yieded fairly well given the dry summer. Had a few greenies due to a bit of frost damage and was short but with the rolling we could cut the stubble short. The straw was also a bit on the green side but made some nice straw that the cattle ate.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...