• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Me too !
    Us too..

Comment

Started putting Beer in the ground.

Comment

It’s not quite warm enough for beer.

Will have to have a 50th anniversary in 2029. It’s

Comment

I have a question for those who remember trading wheat for goods.
          If the board was the only legal buyer.
          What did the takers of grain for goods do with it?
          Store it and wait for the quota to open and sell on their book? Still hard for a dealer to pay JD with a 4 bu quota.
          Smuggle it?
          Needing more stories to tell the young guys. How could anyone defend that stuff??

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Store it and wait for the quota to open and sell on their book? Still hard for a dealer to pay JD with a 4 bu quota.
            Smuggle it?
            Needing more stories to tell the young guys. How could anyone defend that stuff??
            Dad tells me back in those days with 4 bu quota they’d haul on quotas of hill farmers and drunks who didn’t grow much more than wild oats and feed. When final payment came out the drunks had a good drunk. The honest old guys would give it to dad which would be split. I honestly couldn’t understand how anyone with half a brain would support the you know what if remembering those times.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
              Dad tells me back in those days with 4 bu quota they’d haul on quotas of hill farmers and drunks who didn’t grow much more than wild oats and feed. When final payment came out the drunks had a good drunk. The honest old guys would give it to dad which would be split. I honestly couldn’t understand how anyone with half a brain would support the you know what if remembering those times.
              Offered old crop $17/bu today for our Cwrs 13.5 wheat!

&16.80 yellow peas.

$28.49 for Nexera Canola.

No final payment needed, cash, no quota, No export license needed or required.

Astounding how CWB disciples were blinded by smooth talking communism.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                Smuggle it?
                Here we are a hour from the bc border, it was big business to load boxcars bc side to the interior. Also forced more on farm animal feeding. The local jd dealer loaded cars so no doubt some weird deals.
                Last edited by makar; May 16, 2022, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                  Here we are a hour from the bc border, it was big business to load boxcars bc side to the interior. Also forced more on farm animal feeding. The local jd dealer loaded cars so no doubt some weird deals.
                  I'm sure. A fair spread from interior milling or feed to an initial. Full sarcasm.
                  I remember trucking it from Van rail yard to WA in mid 80s. Very open arbitrage lol. I've heard stories of hiding wheat surrounded by other cargo on trucks.

Good stories everyone. Thanks.

Comment

It was a bit before I started farming when all this "black market wheat" was going on but any dealers turned around and sold it to feeders mostly. A lot of farmers sold directly to feedlots as well, I remember my cousin selling barley 3 bushels for a dollar - yes 33 cents a bushel. I have an old American magazine that ran an article about the mess in Canada at that time. They talked to one farmer who traded wheat for a new half ton truck. He said they emptied one bin, and another, and so on. When they started on about the fourth or fifth bin he got to thinking maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. Trouble was a couple years later, in 1972 and 1973, the Soviets were in the market big time. The Americans still call it the "great grain robbery." It was about like this past year with prices unheard of at the time. Farmers had a few good years until 23% interest rates hit. The Liberals and Otto Lang brought in "Operation Lift" in 1970 to try to reduce the grain surplus by paying farmers $6.00 and acre to leave land fallow. A lot of this mess was caused by Canada being a boy scout and sticking to the International Grains Agreement that tried to put a floor price on wheat. It was a great idea except all other exporters didn't abide by the IGA leaving Canada under the Trudeau government standing out in the rain looking in through the window. It was also about this time that sob Trudeau told a bunch of protesting farmers "Why should I sell your wheat?" The stupid bastard didn't understand that because of the CWB, it was his job.

Comment

Key point being half a brain !
                      There is no other explanation?

Comment

Poundmaker feedlot was buying a little wheat for the ethonal plant starting in 1991.They preferred to buy from shareholders but you could get a load in every now and then. Feeding cattle there probably helped.
                        Graded as feed of course but CWB wasn't moving much and prices ....

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post

Started putting Beer in the ground.
                          If you plant cans do you harvest kegs? 🍻

Comment

Dad let a guy haul oats on his quota because he fed all his . The guy said just to keep final payment and turned out final was about $0.90 about the same as initial. And Yes dad did buy a bottle of whisky and laughed all the way to the bank

Comment

Light rain again this morning.
                              Why is the forecast 100% correct this yr?
                              Yr ago it was forecast for rain..Not a cloud in the sky?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                                Light rain again this morning.
                                Why is the forecast 100% correct this yr?
                                Yr ago it was forecast for rain..Not a cloud in the sky?
                                Three days of rain is the forecast.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...