• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well finally a warm week and snow are starting to really go but some back roads still are plugged and 100 ft out on tree lines still 6 ft of snow.

Dugouts didn't need to be pumped this year which was nice to see and the spillway actually was used.

Total rain for April was only 4/10 but the rest was from last fall's hail storm and rain events plus the snow. South of us it turns dryer and West.

Crop Report.

I'm not seeding yet as we're in no shape to be going but since the dryer South and Westside is going I will call it 3% of the crop is in. People I know at Indian Head started at Noon yesterday and Regina few were going even though one farm headed with three drills to do the Reserve north of them. Most I follow on Twitter or Facebook are starting to seed from Swift to Battleford. Alberta as a note lots are going but a big dry area from last year is still in place. Someone wrote in a paper Manitboa to wet Alberta to dry and Sask. just right. That's a crock of shit. Sask is half/half like milk, Eastside is wet West is Dry.

The last of the seed is getting cleaned and plans are still adjusting up till the drills go into the ground.

All Canola chem for it plus inoculant in case we grow peas are all ready to go. No fert. Shortage since all is home and Anhydrous looks to be having zero issues with supply. If you wait they are going to screw you this spring. South America is growing way more soy next year due to fertilizer prices.

India said a few weeks ago no problem we will fill the void with wheat that Ukraine and Russia cant, just got bitch slapped by mother nature and have a real bad drought. Note real bad.

Most farmers I would say are ready and Monday will be a starting point in our area. Some fields will get seeded later due to no access by roads thanks to the snow.

So be safe have a great seeding event and were praying for rain for the west side.

Drew and other USA forecasters were calling for the pattern to start changing but once a system is in place its sure hard to move.

Found these the other night going home.

Comment

https://www.agriville.com/upload_image/uploades/medium/9551651753370.jpg

Interesting to see the turkeys. Has someone in the area been releasing wild turkeys ? Not sure how they would fare a outdoor here as we seem to have lots of coyotes.

Comment

Not sure started to see them a few years ago odd time in the fall south of us closer to Qu'Appelle valley.

Big buggers

Guys that usually start south of Fort Are playing this morning making their first round.

And so the Games Begin.

Were now called for rain Friday wasn't there before this morning. Sunday was supposed to rain.

Comment

Amazing what a few double digit temps can do in such short order. Long days of melting. Snow on fields all but gone. Lots in the bush edges etc., but there is hope again.

Lambing going well. Exhausting, but fun. Was trying to explain it to a neighbor. I think I finally figured out how to explain it. It is like if harvest time came, and you were able to combine for 20 hours a day, for a few weeks! We were able to finally move the ewes onto their usual lambing ground much closer to the yard, so way less walking. Our feet were getting sore. I really do need to get some pics up on here. We love sharing what’s going on.

Cool about the turkeys. They are sort of like pheasants. Neither do snow very well. The slopes of the valley quite probably offer them cover, yet those south facing slopes rarely get too much snow. I bet they winter ok in the valley?

I’ve always wanted to try and let a few go, and harvest a few in fall. I always thought they maybe would survive in the binyard which is sheltered, and generally bare, with lots of feed to choose from.

Comment

It hasn’t been this dry in our area NW SK since 2002. Snow all but gone and soaked in but still a foot of moist soil doesn’t grow a crop. Starting to wonder if the best outcome is to get seeds out of the ground then let crop insurance take the wheel.

The depth and area still in severe drought is under recognized. Without significant and frequent rains no way to expect an average crop. Plus diesel and everything going through the roof, hard to be motivated

It’s not pessimistic it’s realistic. See these guys on Twitter merrily seeding along in their dads new tractor and air drill like it’s all wonderful…we will see. I hope it turns around but it doesn’t have to or mean it will.

One farm is floating fertilizer on. In dust conditions. Let’s not cut fertilizer use by law or whatever the corrupt govt has in mind, but making it illegal to float N fertilizer on might actually be a good idea.

Comment

The drought years weren't just one dry summer it started and lasted 3 years very dry.

Comment

Is anybody doing a burnoff. There is nothing growing here. Same as last year.

Comment

Doing a correction on the amount of seeding being done in Sask. Yes, I thought the Westside had more done than that. So I will go with 1% of the 2022 crop that has been seeded.

Big elephant in the room that no one is talking about because we love to hear good news stories. Drought is continuing on the Western side from Swift to moose and up towards PA. Strong winds are drying up soil more.

Pastures in our area are slowly greening up and sloughs and dugouts are full to overflowing.

Comment

Dugouts full here with just the odd slough or pothole with water. Seeding on our plantation at 30% complete. Been going for 10 days on lentils and just starting durum with drill 2. Start canola next week. Good seeding conditions but drying out quickly with persistent winds. Some weed growth of stink weed and flix weed but not much to speak of. South central. Forecast is for 25 to 30mm for this area next week hope it holds

Comment

Drills ready. Rebuild coulters on drill 1.

Rain tomorrow and Saturday now they say.

Barley all cleaned but maybe not seeding?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F5A6C850-905F-4FEF-B5B9-F03F24D2E531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	773345
                        She’s awful dry in the swamp

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          [ATTACH]10530[/ATTACH]
                          She’s awful dry in the swamp
                          Beavers busy plugging culverts here.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                            Beavers busy plugging culverts here.
                            Beavers don’t have much luck here

Dog got two so far this spring

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Beavers don’t have much luck here

Dog got two so far this spring
                              Right on👍
                              Furrow is your dog available for hire or sale? We definitely could keep him busy in our neighborhood…….

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...