• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New crop oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New crop oats

Marketing question. Found another bin of oats with good germ. Would it be foolish to plant these on clean canola stubble instead of hrs or feed barley? No clue on new crop oat prices.

I'm doing some.
    Depends on bpa. I'm doing it to learn.
    1 patch only though. Lousy ins coverages.

Comment

Might be worth more with twine around it?

Comment

Richardson around $6.50 for new crop.
        Heard yesterday Grain Millers in Yorkton had a special on for April 23 at $7.50.
        Good prices for oats going into the new crop year IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Might be worth more with twine around it?
          In my experience, sooner or later the Law of Feed applies within any given year.
          It states that "if it makes cow feed, it will prove to be the lowest margin choice".

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            I'm doing some.
            Depends on bpa. I'm doing it to learn.
            1 patch only though. Lousy ins coverages.
            SCIC -$681 coverage per acre on oats , canola only $720

Comment

Oats is a no brainer for us at $670 for crop insurance, but only have so much storage and will be watching our germ rates also. Right or wrong we pegged a bunch of oats for $7.70 next June. On a normal year 140 is achievable most years. Last year I think oats was the most profitable crop in the cereals and maybe even beat out canola.

Comment

Lots of oats going into Mexico and for products like oat milk. Seems to be gaining in popularity. Busy at the Camrose Viterra oat plant. Good crop for me this past year at $9.50/ bu. for light oats. Over $20000 for a super B. Couldn't believe it.

Comment

we managed to get $11 for some non desiccated ones, crazy !

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    we managed to get $11 for some non desiccated ones, crazy !
                    I am making contingencies for just that. Even with Camden’s shelling while standing is causing me to consider swathing again.

Comment

Last year 35C temperatures made desiccation easy, 3 days in swath and everything was bone dry. Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of last year other than $10+ oats.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                        I am making contingencies for just that. Even with Camden’s shelling while standing is causing me to consider swathing again.
                        we got a taste of the south last year and straight cut them dry without RU

Comment

Always straight cut without desiccation here, at 56 degrees latitude, had a lot of green tillers last year with the death heat in June/July but two weeks on air and all was good. Except the poor yield.

Comment

Awesome guys. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I’m wondering if preharvest glyphosate doesn’t make standing oats more prone to shelling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...