• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is their incentive to work hard for the farmer? They get paid irregardless if they earn their keep. Farmer revolt against APAS ….. and others would be a start, maybe a convoy is needed.

Comment

I just find it funny since I have been back you listen to a rural radio or read a paper and it's all advertising how good our farm groups work for us and how much they do. The reality is that maybe finally farmers are asking for the money back as they see no real value for the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
        At my age it's just a no.
        Working as a volunteer for the Commissions for over 20 years... Truthfully we tried with great enthusiasm to work with our Governments... sometimes more successfully than others.

It is a very thankless job... working for farmers... anyone stupid and crazy enough to be elected to represent farmers... obviously were naive and deceived no less than any other Canadian farmer... I can see where the saying comes from... that if a politicians lips are moving....

However... being elected to parliament [or a farmer commission for that matter] is way too often a thankless disappointing job... the art of disappointing farmers and lowering everyones expectations... is not fun to say the least.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, it is a thankless job but it's time someone young stood up for our industry and called out the fools in Ottawa. I'm too old for this shit but someone out there must step up.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            Yes, it is a thankless job but it's time someone young stood up for our industry and called out the fools in Ottawa. I'm too old for this shit but someone out there must step up.
            Trying to , 'Soar like an Eagle' when working with a flock of 'Turkeys' is rather like torture for anyone... let alone a young farmer that has not had their 'attitude adjustment' tune in by Ottawa politicians......[apologies to all the turkeys out there]

Comment

Can anyone name one thing the previous APAS president did that helped farmers?

I think he took care of his interests and moved on to the CFA.

Now if he accomplished nothing as APAS president , what are the chances he accomplishes anything as a CFA rep?

Asking for a friend.

Comment

So Tom, what is the right path?
                I still think a full time paid lobby office necessary even though we will never have accountable representation as in the US Senate.
                I realize it takes time in a post board wasteland. But how do you explain some of the folderoll from our "reps"??
                I have perhaps selfishly, been requesting refunds for 3 years now in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  So Tom, what is the right path?
                  I still think a full time paid lobby office necessary even though we will never have accountable representation as in the US Senate.
                  I realize it takes time in a post board wasteland. But how do you explain some of the folderoll from our "reps"??
                  I have perhaps selfishly, been requesting refunds for 3 years now in protest.
                  Spent 2 'advisor' days in Leduc last week... with my neighbour giving input.

It is important to share real farm experiences... the whole 'sustainable farming' 'net zero...carbon footprint' that gets PHD pushed.. without practical 'ground proofing' is overwhelming I agree.

Yet to advance we must forge ahead. It is hypocrisy to complain ... like not voting in an election then blaming everyone who voted for the failures... yet the positive solutions are expected without credit to those who stuck their necks out and won the small battles .

Democracy is a 'messy' governance system... yet one look at Russian tyranny encourages us to work for a better tomorrow for future generations. Far too many have lost this motivation... as family social structures and intergenerational heritage is tossed aside for retirements at beach houses in the tropic paradises...

We are all responsible to be examples of those who build forward prosperity... not consumers of past blessings!

What motivates us... speaks volumes to future generations!

Comment

This week it’s all about getting ready for the baby bovines that are on the way here. Had a couple cows calve early on the corn stalks which is very muddy so we moved them close to home to some drier pasture.

The yearlings are still on the corn and hopefully will get a couple weeks yet. Never dreamed it would last this long considering the herds of elk and thousands of ducks that enjoyed it all winter as well.

Just finishing our calving shed for the cows. Mostly recycled and only about $2500 in new screws and lumber in it. It’s been 20 years that the cow maternity pens have been outdoors so I’m looking forward to hopefully not needing it😉

Is there a young boy out there who doesn’t like to write with his hose in the snow?😎

Always amazed by grass turning green the day after the snow melts off it. The circle of life begins again here and life is great🍀

Comment

Hopefully we can get a decent snow melt this next week , especially those with cattle north of us .

Comment

Still got a ways to go here
                        This just 2 miles south of farm

I don’t think we will get much run off , most likely just a few potholes and mid sized sloughs

Finally feels more like spring today

Comment

Thought I saw a bare patch on the home quarter the other day. But it was just another dead deer. Could skidoo anywhere your heart desires.

This is getting to be not funny anymore. All single digit highs, many barely above freezing for two weeks. A bunch of highs of plus one in mid April?

That would be a first, even in this foresaken Siberian slough.

I’m gunna run out of feed at this rate. There will for sure not be green grass until late may at the earliest.

Comment

A line NW to SE 20 miles N of 16 is still FULL winter. Another 1" last hour. Roofs have old snow yet. Totally BRIGHT white melts very slowly. Forecast highs 1-6C next 7 days. Another planet compared to 50 miles S and W.

Same here Trails still marked, one groomed a few days ago.

Everyone is REALLY tired of the COLD/SNOW and SHITTY, icy, snow blown onto highways every week..... since Nov
                            Last edited by fjlip; Apr 3, 2022, 13:01.

Comment

Not to worry , growing seasons are getting longer, especially in the northern latitudes . They say by 3-5 weeks if I remember?
                              Hopefully no frost on June 20th this year

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

I’m gunna run out of feed at this rate. There will for sure not be green grass until late may at the earliest.
                                It can look pretty bleak this time of year Sheep but when spring comes it will happen fast! We had 100% snow cover into April a few years ago and I was wondering how the cows would calve in snow. But thankfully by the middle of the month the sun got so high that the hill tops started showing up and in a few days the snow was gone and the grass wasn't far behind! Good luck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...