• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizer storage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizer storage

For the people with fertilizer bins, any brand preference between westeel, meridian and concept?

Originally posted by jdg364 View Post
    For the people with fertilizer bins, any brand preference between westeel, meridian and concept?
    Have older westeel 72 and 100t bins from the 90's that are still being used for fert every year.
    The ones with legs inset a bit from the outer wall are a poor design.
    Newer bins are meridian 196t.
    Should have gotten the stainless slide option (and the caged ladder!! they are tall and thats alot of rungs!!).
    Otherwise the only thing I not overly impressed with on newer fert bins is the powder coating "paint/finish".
    I believe a good epoxy coating lasted longer.
    Make sure you get poke holes!!
    The fert bins have paid for themselves many times over and just this year saved over 3 times what those old ones cost new.

Comment

The Foremost bins are good if they have a dealer close to you. They have grain, combo, and epoxy fert bin options.
      Edit: stainless slide and track option on them too. Poke hole and level/gauge windows.
      Last edited by Taiga; Mar 29, 2022, 18:14.

Comment

Would stick with Westeel or Meridian.

Comment

We’re happy with our Meridian bins, other than the slides like mentioned above.

Comment

They all rust😉

Wouldn’t be without them though. Bought them under a three year lease and the savings made the payments easily. Meridian and Westeel here and the older ones have better paint in them. Definitely get the stainless slides, sight glasses, poke hole, and forget the skids and pour a pad for them. Peace of mind from having product on hand vs “hoping” the dealer you prepaid does is priceless.

Happy shopping🍀

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              They all rust😉

Wouldn’t be without them though. Bought them under a three year lease and the savings made the payments easily. Meridian and Westeel here and the older ones have better paint in them. Definitely get the stainless slides, sight glasses, poke hole, and forget the skids and pour a pad for them. Peace of mind from having product on hand vs “hoping” the dealer you prepaid does is priceless.

Happy shopping🍀
              So, what was the outcome of the supplier that went under in your area?
              Did anyone ever get made whole?

Comment

The more and more of this shortage b/s and ridiculous cost of on farm storage , me thinks it’s time more now than ever to get the fertilizer down in fall . Store it in the ground ?
                Then just seed with a bit of starter , far more efficient when time is critical ?
                The cost of fertilizer storage if not all set up is far beyond just getting it on in the fall and storing it in the dirt for spring ? I don’t know anymore but the cost of a one pass seeding outfit , the crazy expensive tractors to utilize that seeding outfit , equipment and logistics needed for efficient timely delivery all in a 2 -3 week window of seeding has my head scratching now .
                Your talking a massive overall investment nowadays to try to be supper efficient in a one pass seeding set up.
                The alternative is no longer much cheaper with fuel and depreciation either but wow the cost to be supper dupper one pass time efficient at seeding has become astronomical now
                Last edited by furrowtickler; Mar 29, 2022, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  So, what was the outcome of the supplier that went under in your area?
                  Did anyone ever get made whole?
                  FCC flubbed up on a few things before the poo hit the fan and worked pretty hard at settling it after the fact. We came out basically even on our small amount and I believe after the liquidation it worked out not horrible for those involved. The only winners were the bankruptcy lawyers though……………

Scumbag owner was taking prepay money up until he closed the doors and knew he couldn’t possibly deliver. I hope there’s a special place somewhere really hot for folks like that…………

Now we pay when trucks are on the way or after it’s delivered. Ironically still deal with the same sales guy (different outfit now) as he was/is great.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    The more and more of this shortage b/s and ridiculous cost of on farm storage , me thinks it’s time more now than ever to get the fertilizer down in fall . Store it in the ground ?
                    Then just seed with a bit of starter , far more efficient when time is critical ?
                    The cost of fertilizer storage if not all set up is far beyond just getting it on in the fall and storing it in the dirt for spring ? I don’t know anymore but the cost of a one pass seeding outfit , the crazy expensive tractors to utilize that seeding outfit , equipment and logistics needed for efficient timely delivery all in a 2 -3 week window of seeding has my head scratching now .
                    Your talking a massive overall investment nowadays to try to be supper efficient in a one pass seeding set up.
                    The alternative is no longer much cheaper with fuel and depreciation either but wow the cost to be supper dupper one pass time efficient at seeding has become astronomical now
                    we always do as much juice in the fall that time , moisture , etc. will let us
                    always cheaper except 08
                    good for our normally wetter land to open it a bit

Comment

Fert storage on my ranch

Comment

Is there any NH3 available in oz?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                          Is there any NH3 available in oz?
                          Tight supplies of urea, Soa and map and dap.

But still available $$$

Most fert was ordered in October to December period which is normal practice.

Comment

Why tipping boxes vs hopper trailers in oz?

I don’t understand the facination with boxes that tip up to dump, like all the semi trucks in oz seem to use, vs simple gravity dump hopper bottom trailers.

Way heavier trailers when you duplicate the frame again on the tipping box, plus the hydraulic kit and cylinders.

Is it just tradition or some other reason. I know here when I switched to semi trailers from tandem drive tipping box trucks, my neighbors all said that I would need to keep the tandems. That simply was not true, but was a common belief 20 years ago.

Comment

Never seen a belly dumper in my life.

Can be used for wool wood lime gravel sand various products.

Plus bunkers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...