• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasture grass ideas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variety is the spice of life. Plant as many varieties as you can. I dislike crested wheat but nothing earlier going than it if you’re needing early pasture. Some of our oldest swards have it but it’s past due for rejuvenation.

Comment

There is so much to learn about pasture grass selection and more important pasture management you could read stacks of books and still not consider everything.

Alberta ag has one of the best online if you search
      Alberta Forage Manual

Great for picking suitable varieties and a great section on chosing varieties for a season long grazing calender.

Start on the white clover description as what you see in overgazed pasture is not White Dutch.

If you find the download usefull I'd buy the $30 print version.
      Last edited by shtferbrains; Mar 25, 2022, 16:35.

Comment

Hmmmm.

Different situations the world over.

Multi species mixes good in theory but if there are a few things sheep don’t really like why plant them.

Plant what they like and do well on maybe only two or at best three.

Do you guys know what vetch is young stock do well on it once it gets to sweet stage. Up until then is bitter and they graze everything else in preference and let’s the vetch grow but is slow.

Mostly here it’s medic and grass.

Planted feed mostly rye or you might call it rye corn and vetch.

Sheep don’t get the shitze on rye like they do on oats when planted for feed.

But you situation way way different than mine and austcanada

Comment

Yes hairy vetch is common here.

I think one of the larger ideals about planting a lot of species is diversity boosting the swards health. It’s not all about the animals.

I’m still waiting for Steve Kenyon to share his implemented info from different amounts of species in a sward. If I recall properly he was running trials on 1 species, 4, 8, 16 and perhaps even 32. I believe studies have shown that 16 different species is the ideal number to get a biodiversity boost.

Comment

We see wild Purple Vetch more in wet years. We probably graze it to often and to hard for it to add much to tonnage.
            Gets to be a big thick stand in the bottom of the hyway ditch some years.
            I have one field with pretty good Cicer Milk Vetch well established.
            I think it can be the best of the bloat free legumes but it is not without its problems.
            Can provide big tonnage but needs a lot of time to get going and when at its best it smothers the grass out and the thistles come in the next year.

Comment

Vetch and oats common for hay here.

50 kg ha oats 20 kg ha vetch if you want higher protien hay change ratio to more vetch.

Huge variance in hard seed % of types.

Some soft seeded last for one two years.

Other only 20% soft seeded hangs around for years like you’ve got it forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
                Vetch and oats common for hay here.

50 kg ha oats 20 kg ha vetch if you want higher protien hay change ratio to more vetch.

Huge variance in hard seed % of types.

Some soft seeded last for one two years.

Other only 20% soft seeded hangs around for years like you’ve got it forever.
                Triticale/vetch is a good mix here mallee. Soil and animal health benefits too sheepwheat

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                  Triticale/vetch is a good mix here mallee. Soil and animal health benefits too sheepwheat
                  Cattle?

Sheep not that keen on tri hay here but yep more bulk per ha with trit

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
                    Cattle?

Sheep not that keen on tri hay here but yep more bulk per ha with trit
                    Triticale is coarse. My brother tried it for a couple years and gave up on it.

It was for cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      Triticale is coarse. My brother tried it for a couple years and gave up on it.

It was for cattle.
                      We have bought pasture mixes from Brett Young Seeds and they had a good selection...

Parsley really liked Sainfoin mixes for cattle etc... they have a forage selector section with all the different forages...
                      Many choices...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...