• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Theory on Land!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    That's nice forage but your missing the big picture these mega farms arent like the rest of us when in a drought they double in size and had no crop. Think about it.
    You've come on here a few times stating that if the right offer came your way the family farm would be gone.

Just who do you think that buyer would be, a couple of dozen city dwellers want a new lease on life?

Comment

I joke lots but the truth is like anything if someone came with 50 mills why wouldn't you sell or even half why not.

You can always farm some place else. Maybe grow oranges for a living and golf.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

But, don't call the rest of us humble family farms with a couple of extra yard lights, a "cookie cutter farm"

You have no idea what each of our family farms goals and contributions are to our local areas or how we have come up with our own ideas how to make our family farm unique and prosper.
        If my kids hit a moose that is on the road that they can’t see, because of idiotic white blazing yard lights shining at the road, I could care less if the owner of the lights farm seven acres, or 70 000 acres.

As per usual, my post flew well over your head. And as usual, you single me out to call an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

You have no idea what each of our family farms goals and contributions are to our local areas or how we have come up with our own ideas how to make our family farm unique and prosper.
          By all means, share!

Comment

I love to stir the pot and get guys thinking but were all farmers farming in western Canada it's us against the east remember that.

Trudeau has big plans for us and that's what scares me.

Have a great day it's awesome to be back in Sask and I cant wait for crop 22 and then just like every fall the goose will flap its wings and get the **** out of dodge.

Comment

Long live the cookie cutter farm. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you found a niche that you love and you make money doing.

But you do realize if everyone did what you did, no one would make money.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                Long live the cookie cutter farm. Ugh.
                I am glad you found a niche that you love and you make money doing.

But you do realize if everyone did what you did, no one would make money.[/QUOTE]

Sure. If everyone did the same thing, it wouldn’t work well. I do protect a lot of my business info to a large extent, as we are still early in this game, and can’t afford to have someone come along and price us out of the market we do have. But there are literally dozens of potential models and products that I can think of that are in high demand, and need between zero and maybe a few hundred acres to be feasible. Part of it is that as we have learned along the way with our lamb, many people ask for specific high value products they can’t find anywhere, but would die to have them. I am currently in talks to raise a specific product for someone, that no one currently raises remotely locally. It is extremely sought after, but we have this odd mindset in sask that we can’t do it! Well, I’m crunching numbers and feasibility, and I need about 1000 square feet of room. I’m sure I can find the space. Off that thousand square feet? The numbers say I could gross at minimum, very conservatively, 90 000 a year if I do my part to maximize production. In Saskatchewan, a thousand square feet, and you are no farmer. That is the mindset. I wish it would change!

Truly, the sky is the limit for different ideas. I think it is extremely pertinent for those who aren’t sure how to include their kids on their farm, because “We don’t have the acres for two families.” People in that kind of boat are gunna hang it up, because they don’t think outside the box, and that is plain sad! There goes another farm, needlessly.

Look, there is nothing wrong with traditional grain or commodity farming! It certainly has worked well for some, that is obvious. But we haven’t all had the exact same start in farming, or fortune through the years, to make it a viable choice. I hope to show it CAN be done differently, for those who haven’t had great circumstances in their farming career. You don’t HAVE to be the last generation, simply because you think there is only one model to farm, and it takes lots of land to do it!

I should start the other thread. I’m passionate about this….

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  I should start the other thread. I’m passionate about this….
                  Sheep, most people I know farm cookie cutter because they are antisocial loners who cant stand having a boss or customers. Thats a joke...sort of.

Grain farming is flexible for the most part, can set your own hours, sometimes big chunks of time off for some and no customers to please. Pick up the phone for RP and she is sold. Dont like the price, stick er back in the bin and turn on the fans.

Takes a very certain type of person to do one on one sales. I dont have the patience for it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...