• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Theory on Land!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Theory on Land!

Yes it's hump day and it's been a long trip back dodging tornados and rain and drought but these massive land purchases that are happening in Sask by new to the game farmers with investors have me thinking.

One we just had a drought any long-term farmer knows you watch out for year two because if it happens again your out, But the opposite is happening you get drought to lose a crop, and double the farm in size.

So here is what I think is going to happen.

First like I always say follow the money.

Second, understand the mentality of a die-hard liberal with connections.

Third money does strange things just ask anyone who wins lotto max.

Think outside the box its a big world and we are seeing changes happen all around us both in Canada and the world.

Don't trust any politician.

So what is my theory or let's call it an observation.

Massive land sales happening all around Sask. The land isn't cheap anymore but it gets picked up a few are farmers picking up that are able to snag a section or two what I am talking about is buying 75 quarters at a time or 10000 here and 10000 there and 10000 again.

Canadian banks we all know don't really like ag so the money isn't coming from banks. You might be worth 10 mill or more with today's land prices try to borrow 40 mill using that clear property. Yes, some but not FCC and maybe a little for operating from banks but it's all investor money.

Remember the guy who won 6/49 ill at least be able to farm some more till it's all gone.

Now the UofS did a study the most profitable farms are 5000 to 10000 acres so it's not about profit. So what is it about?

Well, I said earlier don't ever trust a politician.

We have seen in Ottawa yesterday that one politician wants a clear mandate to do whatever he wants. The number three party will follow just because they are broke and slimy politicians like money more than what is right.

The party also said it has big changes coming and if you read 2030 you know that is 8 years away and stuff has to change and change fast.

In Sask, we have one thing land and its production. We have land claims that need to be done and promises need to be kept.

But for a slimy politician paying Sask. farmer's Billions wouldn't work because Sask. farmers hate Ottawa and both parties that joined so that wouldn't do.

Most farmers are in the dark on world issues and really only care about their area and just want to be left alone to farm and raise their families and have a good life on their land.

So opening up the rules for ownership was step one and it did get sask land at world prices. But this is where follow the money starts.

If one could find the investors I think most will have deep ties to a federal group. How easy will it be to settle these land claims when the investors selling land get double the money from Ottawa the land is changed back to the first nations who will rent it at top dollar to farmers left behind.

But you say they will have a pick of any land they want to buy. HAHAHAH not this time big block deals will happen or 200 quarters here and there no farmers in the area will have a chance to big or buy it will be an easy transfer.

Is good we are settling with the first nations' land claims and the land should help them get on and move into the next century without the federal gov babysitting.

But like all gov follow the money.

THis will take place in the next three years.

Watch and see will I be right or way out in the left field.

Something is up and the investors know it. It isn't about hiding money in land for the protection it's about doubling or tripling your money at the taxpayer's expense.

Let's discuss or stir the pot.

Maybe one more massive sale will appear in the next week or so is it mine?

After the financial warfare against Russia and protestors, the world will move to hard assets they access and control.

I should dump my stock portfolio and get some more dirt.

I suspect a more widespread back to land movement is on tap. A lot of urban areas will hollow out.
    Last edited by jazz; Mar 23, 2022, 07:28.

Comment

Look outside the box its bigger than that.

Comment

Some areas need investors, they are the ones with the dollar bills. There are pockets where competition for land is at a minimal. If only a couple are interested how can the seller get top dollar?

I personally couldn’t care less to rent or even buy anymore land. There is no money in renting land. All you are doing is putting hrs on your equipment and wearing it out on someone else’s dirt. The little you will make won’t replace that wore out tractor. So you give the land back go back and farm what you have with wore out equipment.

Work more for WAY less.

I hope land prices keep rocketing.

Just because commodity prices are high now doesn’t mean they will be this way come November.

We do know one thing inputs and parts will continue to rise.

Glad I’m on the back nine of farming!!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
          Look outside the box its bigger than that.
          So rural gentrification? Maybe

Comment

Locals say here if it's another bad year the level of hurt will free up huge tracks of dirt. Lots of dirt changing hands already and behind the seen stories starting to pop up. Some sold The sacred cow herd to cover things this year but that won't work for these guys next year.

Comment

These big deals no locals know even the renters!

Comment

Compared to most places in the world land values in a lot of western Canada especially Sask are undervalued. We have cheap land. It has been cheap for a reason. I do think people see land ownership as a safe haven and don't see the downsize. On the other hand this may be 1982 all over again and land may be had for cheap in 10 years from now. For me land is not an investment, its what we need to grow crops to sell and make money. From my grandfathers time the land must continually grow just to say viable. I am not looking for the huge land deal but a quarter or two every few years is almost a must. I would love to trade up to a new air drill and gotta have lots of acres to cash flow a million dollar drill. What helps most of us is the fact that a lot of our land was bought a heck of lot cheaper and has had good appreciation. I buy the comparable farm land price sheet at least once a year and for our RM the investors are gone and its all local guys buying these days.

Comment

Well you cant count on Ukraine and any FSU states now for world food production. Kazakhstan was supposed to be the next Saskatchewan. Not so much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                    Some areas need investors, they are the ones with the dollar bills. There are pockets where competition for land is at a minimal. If only a couple are interested how can the seller get top dollar?

I personally couldn’t care less to rent or even buy anymore land. There is no money in renting land. All you are doing is putting hrs on your equipment and wearing it out on someone else’s dirt. The little you will make won’t replace that wore out tractor. So you give the land back go back and farm what you have with wore out equipment.

Work more for WAY less.

I hope land prices keep rocketing.

Just because commodity prices are high now doesn’t mean they will be this way come November.

We do know one thing inputs and parts will continue to rise.

Glad I’m on the back nine of farming!!

Where are these minimal competition pockets?

I think that's short sighted. Over valued land means no locals can get into agriculture... Less community. Less friendship. Just vast expanses of land with no personality.

I'd rather see a big rural population, community, and infrastructure.

Some of the mega farms in the world house their workers in work camps on site. Then they fly home after their "tour".

It's not like a 7500 acre farm that hires two or three guys, puts them in houses on old farm yards or rents them a place in town or hires locals.

Comment

Maybe we should be trying to settle those Ukrainian refugees on the prairies instead of Toronto.

Sask lost population last yr.

Comment

2021 FCC report

https://www.fcc-fac.ca/fcc/resources/2021-farmland-values-report-e.pdf

Comment

We need more farmers, not fewer and fewer. To get there, we need to think outside the box. Trouble is, only about seven of us western Canadian farmers do, so I guess it is what it is. Bigger and better forever!

Here is an example. On my little farm, rather than panic and act like with my land base it’s impossible, I look at different options. If my four kids wish to farm, which may well be the case, we will find a way.

It will not involve over priced land, iron, and will certainly not be at the mercy of a few input and mass commodity buying conglomerates.

I have been planning to start a thread about this idea of farming differently. Especially in the sense of generational transfer. But I presume it will die due to lack of interest. Long live the cookie cutter farm. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Maybe we should be trying to settle those Ukrainian refugees on the prairies instead of Toronto.

Sask lost population last yr.
                            My wife and I were talking about that in the last while.

All the empty old farm houses that need a little upgrade using the government program for better windows and insulation could restore thriving communities of the past with these immigrants.

They probably won't ask for much. A safe sky, a garden , a home, and some employment to get by.

Tremendous potential for rural saskatchewan.

In reality , it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              We need more farmers, not fewer and fewer. To get there, we need to think outside the box. Trouble is, only about seven of us western Canadian farmers do, so I guess it is what it is. Bigger and better forever!

Here is an example. On my little farm, rather than panic and act like with my land base it’s impossible, I look at different options. If my four kids wish to farm, which may well be the case, we will find a way.

It will not involve over priced land, iron, and will certainly not be at the mercy of a few input and mass commodity buying conglomerates.

I have been planning to start a thread about this idea of farming differently. Especially in the sense of generational transfer. But I presume it will die due to lack of interest. Long live the cookie cutter farm. Ugh.
                              Hear, hear. History has a way of repeating. There is no one way to make an intergenerational farm work. There are a lot of successful operations that have not expanded land but have done things like grow high intensive, high value crops, intensive livestock, pasture raised chickens, bee keeping, on farm manufacturing, etc etc, the list is endless. Very interesting topic. I think that access to credit, interest rates and other road blocks will again become an issue and the need to adapt will be apparent.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...