• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmyard lighting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmyard lighting?

Just wondering if anyone here has moved to , or tried city, "street light" style poles to light your farmyards?

Will soon have to make changes here, and would like something that will give good coverage in the yard and look a bit better, and last longer, than an old power pole. City style pole would allow for the base to be out of the way, while the light would be out, and away from the base.

Most likely looking at LED lighting in some form.

What height should should be considered? Seems all would be difficult to service, unless it was on a climbable tower, or a "fold down" style w/ winch.

What poles or towers are you using now? Tips and advice welcome.

We dont have a lot of yard lighting since we dont live on the farm yard.

But have a neighbor who mounted these insane halogens or LEDs up on the sides of his bins and side of his shop, no poles. You can see his yard from 20km away.

Comment

Jazz, I would like lights like that. LED’s are way brighter and use a lot less power. We need a light near the farmhouse. I am interested to hear the ideas from my AV advisors.

Comment

I drove around brighten (new subdivision in Saskatoon) and liked the lights bright/white street lights they were using. Spoke to a couple contractors and ordered the same ones.

They are awesome, and would never go back to walking around in the dark. We mounted them on our bins with bent muffler pipe, every third bin for the 21x6, every second for the 24x6 and on every large flat bin.

Comment

Jack Messer has those city style light poles at his farm site north of Tisdale. I think they have been there since the 90's and really look sharp and progressive when you drive by. Not sure what the cost would be.

Some farms get such bright yard lighting it almost blinds you driving by.

Comment

The best part the new yard lights pay for themselves in hydro reduction in a couple of years. Might want to keep the fuel tanks lit up a bit better these days

Comment

A lot of years ago, I bought a quantity of street light poles from City of Saskatoon. All of them were ‘collision victims’ where the bottom couple feet was crunched from a soccer mom skidding into it with the impala, or a new semi driver forgetting he had a trailer behind. Paid $10/piece for them.

Then I just cut the damaged section out plus fabricated a hinge on the base. The base was now removable from the pole. Welded rebar to the bottom base, dug a hole and put concrete round form in it, poured base in about six in above ground level. Then put pin in hinge and raised it up with the loader tractor and a strap.

I have a led light on the top now. First was the metal halide ? To lower the pole, just gotta loosen the four nuts on mounting base and lower with strap and tractor.

These were steel painted poles. I see they often have galvanized poles now so welding those would be more difficult. I don’t know how available these are still but a city or SaskPower might sell them.

Other than some needing painting again, it’s been a maintenance free light pole. Have about four of them in various places. Not along the bin rows tho as the overhang looks like it could meet up with a large auger being moved…just mounted lights on the bins in our case.

They do look nice

Comment

I was looking at 400W LED floodlights at Uncle Weiner's yesterday. $230 To replace old halogen. Just wondering about coverage, the current light illuminates a big circle, will I need to go to 2 or 3 to cover the whole area. I would assume the light only illuminates where it is pointing? Or would I aim in straight down to get the same area?

Comment

Whatever you do, for heavens sakes, keep your light in your own yard! We have a few neighbours who have multiples of those dazzling white lights that shine out on the road and beyond. It is only a matter of time there will be an accident. Not if, but when. Closing your eyes going past these places is pretty much the only option. It’s utterly ridiculous.

Is there bylaws in this regard? I doubt it, our forefathers would never have foreseen the excess this generation thinks they “need”. It sure looks to me like some people just live to be seen. There is zero reason to have it lighter than mid-day in your yard. If you are out doing something, fine. But all night, every night?

Humility sadly, seems to have disappeared. Because what happens? Everyone around now wants to be seen as jazz says, for 20 km, because I guess it’s so cool.

So get your lights. But keep the light in your own yard. It seriously doesn’t have to flood the whole nation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...