• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete In Pole Shed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete In Pole Shed

Our original shop is stick build on grade beam, piles and partial internal floating slab. Pretty good shape after 22 yrs.

I got an estimate on a smaller new pole shed for new workshop. Do people just pour floating slabs in these? No piles?

Worried that would start heaving quite a bit on the gumbo.

Phone goodon they will know

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Our original shop is stick build on grade beam, piles and partial internal floating slab. Pretty good shape after 22 yrs.

I got an estimate on a smaller new pole shed for new workshop. Do people just pour floating slabs in these? No piles?

Worried that would start heaving quite a bit on the gumbo.

Me being nosey but size and price if ya don't mind?
      I'm considering the same.

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post
        Me being nosey but size and price if ya don't mind?
        I'm considering the same.
        42x60x16 with diamond bifold door and roll over head, interior package and concrete you are in the $120k range.

Those diamond doors are $15k. I think I will just go back to a slider and o/h rollup. Be nice to get the header in it sometimes but its not critical.

Comment

I did 30x30 in mine and perfect 10 years later. I stayed 3 feet from the walls, soil there on the sandy side but always wet.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
            I did 30x30 in mine and perfect 10 years later. I stayed 3 feet from the walls, soil there on the sandy side but always wet.
            You didnt pour right to the wall?

Comment

Why a pole shed? if your planning on heating it why not build it the same as your old shop on piles, no chance of heaving if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                You didnt pour right to the wall?
                It is so wet in there I stayed away, dont know if I could of gone to wall but its standing up.

Comment

Our pole sheds with diamond doors stood up to horrendous wind storms in 2016 and again in 2019. Other buildings taken off foundations but pole sheds perfect.

Comment

When I put up my pole shed five or six years ago the materials package for a frame shed cost the same or slightly less, but of course the cost saving with the pole shed is no concrete foundation. If you're building a shop I'd go with the frame building instead. At the time I asked about eventually putting in concrete. They said to do that nail in 2 x 6's on the inside of the poles at the same height as the outer planks and fill concrete up to it, the idea is to keep the concrete away from the poles themselves.

For a building that size I think pilings would be a good idea but I have two old sheds that go back to the 1960's with no piles that have stood up reasonably well. Biggest thing is good drainage so water doesn't get underneath the concrete. It helps to section the pad - I have an old 48-ft. long quonset and the pad is divided into about 8-ft. sections and has no cracking.

I'd be interested to know what outfit you got the quote from as I've been thinking about putting up a similar size shop and your quote is lower than I expected for a building that size. Did that include the labour to put it up?

Comment

That quote was from Goodon. Looks to have everything in it. Integrity was about 20% higher but they use partial concrete posts.

Comment

Dimond doors worth every penny

Comment

My son does concrete work on the side, has done so for over a decade. He has poured concrete around posts and on the inside of the posts, both work. Personally around the posts seals the building better against rodents imo. He is also a big fan of concrete bottomed posts. As far as frost heaves he always saw cuts the floor so that it will crack along the lines and uses lots of rebar. And of course a layer of tamped gravel on top of the gumbo.
                          Last edited by Hamloc; Mar 22, 2022, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                            My son does concrete work on the side, has done so for over a decade. He has poured concrete around posts and on the inside of the posts, both work. Personally around the posts seals the building better against rodents imo. He is also a big fan of concrete bottomed posts. As far as frost heaves he always saw cuts the floor so that it will crack along the lines and uses lots of rebar. And of course a layer of tamped gravel on top of the gumbo.
                            Thats how my pad was done.

Comment

At the price of these new buildings you really want them to last. With soil around White City, the concrete looks like brand new 20 years after you lay it. Ask me at thirty years. 😂

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...