• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50-70% 0f Ukrainian farm land 'unusable' in 2022... Russians mined it...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50-70% 0f Ukrainian farm land 'unusable' in 2022... Russians mined it...

"Aside from the actual fighting, Bobitski says Russian troops are trying to systematically destroy farms and farm equipment as they push deeper into the country.

That's because the Russian invasion has made an enormous part of Ukraine a war zone and off-limits to food production.

"If things stand as they are, it's very likely that we will be able to safely use only 30 to 50 per cent of arable land," said Nazar Bobitski, who works at the Ukrainian Business and Trade office.

Planting season set to begin

A former Ukrainian diplomat, Bobitski is typically based in Brussels, where he works with European countries to help get Ukrainian farm exports to foreign markets.

But since Russia's invasion on Feb. 24, he has returned to Lviv to try to help the country's farming community chart an extremely difficult course over the months ahead.

Aside from the actual fighting, Bobitski says Russian troops are trying to systematically destroy farms and farm equipment as they push deeper into the country.

"One of the very horrific features of this Russian war is that the Russian troops are deliberately targeting and destroying agricultural machinery in Donetsk Oblast, and also near Chernihiv and Sumy," Bobitski said. "They really pursue the scorched earth policy as far as [Ukraine's] agricultural facilities are concerned."

Aside from the dangers farmers face because of bombings and missile attacks, Ukraine's government claims Russian forces have dropped landmines from the air over a huge swath of agricultural area, rendering it unsafe"

Ukraine's farmers now have the fifth-largest army in Europe — or so goes a dark joke on the internet, a reference to all the captured Russian military equipment they've towed off the battlefield. In a country desperate to keep its spirits up in dire times, the near-daily social media posts featuring Ukrainian farm tractors recovering Russian tanks, trucks and missile launchers that got stuck in their muddy fields have certainly helped. But now, Ukraine's government is asking its agricultural com

Sucessful farming site has had a number of stories on the Ukraine situation. Sounds like diesel availability is very limited.Good article also in the WP.
    Last edited by mcfarms; Mar 19, 2022, 06:47.

Comment

Who is going to clean up this mess after the fighting stops?

Comment

Lets see, Ukraine is 600,000 Km2 in size, 70% of it is farmland so 420,000 km2.

So 70% of 420,000 km2 = 300,000 km2 of farmland land that has been mined by the Russians. Thats 74M acres of land mines.

I call bullshit.

Comment

You determine which acre is mined and which isn't, I'll watch from here.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Lets see, Ukraine is 600,000 Km2 in size, 70% of it is farmland so 420,000 km2.

So 70% of 420,000 km2 = 300,000 km2 of farmland land that has been mined by the Russians. Thats 74M acres of land mines.

I call bullshit.
            Not sure he was saying that 30-50 percent was mined , saying 30-50 percent is unsafe, don't think I'd be particularly comfortable hanging out in the the rig seeding or spraying with Russian attack copters cruising around.
            Have to check and see if the new Bourgault 9 series tanks have a anti missile option. they are expensive enough that should come standard anyhow.
            Last edited by mcfarms; Mar 19, 2022, 08:02.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Or maybe none of them are mined and its just another propaganda piece. Like the Ghost of Kyiv taking Russian planes 10 at a time. At least in the video game.

Not a chance I will bite on the news cycle on this. Tom and Forage and Agstarr can scream from the roof tops like they did with covid. Dont beleive it. Not one word.

Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	773224
              Last edited by jazz; Mar 19, 2022, 08:06.

Comment

Or maybe none of them are mined and its just another propaganda piece. Like the Ghost of Kyiv taking Russian planes 10 at a time. At least in the video game.

Not a chance I will bite on the news cycle on this. Tom and Forage and Agstarr can scream from the roof tops like they did with covid. Dont beleive it. Not one word.
                Guess we can change your alias to comrade jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                  Guess we can change your alias to comrade jazz.
                  errol already told you all what this war is about. He doesnt post that often but he knows, most of us do, but many are to shy to say it. I am not.

Show me the last war you can think of where the two parties were negotiating everyday.
                  Last edited by jazz; Mar 19, 2022, 08:22.

Comment

errol already told you all what this war is about. He doesnt post that often but he knows, most of us do, but many are to shy to say it. I am not.

Show me the last war you can think of where the two parties were negotiating everyday.
                    Negotiating what? The terms of surrender.

Comment

Jazz, will just sit in front of his keyboard here in Canada (the true north strong and free) like he did when the illegal blockades took place.

Comment

Errol's only been posting on Agriville the past 10 years that there will be market melt downs any day now.

Now I know who you took advise from when you shorted the Canadian dollar and you stated Tesla was going to crash a few years ago.

Comment

Atom Jet could have one hell of a business putting auxiliary hydraulic pumps onto all the tanks ukranian farmers have been dragging home.

Could pull one hell of a drill all the while being protected from mines with a 1500hp tracked prime mover.

That said, how willing would you be to go tickling the dirt where there could be unexploded ordinance?

Brings a whole new dimension to "field prep"... have to fill in bomb craters, and push shrapnel into sloughs, all the while dodging incoming rounds.

Also, how many military age males are still home prepping equipment, sourcing seed and finalizing cropping plans rather than lobbing NLAW's and Javelins at Russian armour? Surely the Ukranian armed forces will give these boys the weekends off to tend to their crops.

Picture of Deere's new 9R add-on which will give Ukranian farmers an in field edge...

Comment

I have my order in for one of the electric drones the Ukrainians have been using to drop 2.5 kg bombs on troops and trucks , figure its time to take the gopher battle to their home bases in my neighbors pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                              Not sure he was saying that 30-50 percent was mined , saying 30-50 percent is unsafe, don't think I'd be particularly comfortable hanging out in the the rig seeding or spraying with Russian attack copters cruising around.
                              Have to check and see if the new Bourgault 9 series tanks have a anti missile option. they are expensive enough that should come standard anyhow.
                              If there is only 1 badger hole on a 1/4 I always hit it dead on so I wouldn't last long seeding there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...