• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamm's Bear

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LEP View Post
    One of the toughest things to manage is employees. You have invested much time and money in training. But they are all individuals. Some you have trouble tolerating but they are good workers with talent. Others are great people but leave much to desire on the operational side.
    Add a tight labor market and you sometimes wonder who runs the show.

I know a guy who every couple years cleans house. Not my style but I kiinda understand where he is coming from.
    Blackpowder I would get good legal advice before proceeding.

We accepted a resignation letter, then had 3 years that we got legal defence bills . Anyone can file legal actions... and you must defend against them... you need a non disclosure agreement and be sure severance and past employee benefits agreed and signed off. Surprisingly $100k in legal bills defending against an ex-disgruntled employee... happens... like the snap of your fingers. It is both shocking and unbelievable what can happen... believe me... the personal hours spent, fighting such actions... on top of legal defence cost... will astound you.

You need to be Obie One... with the wisdom of 'Solomon'; and the patience of 'Job'... if you have worked with them over 5 years... 10 or more years really gets expensive. If they have ever started legal actions themselves... personally... an 'Iron man' suit may be required.

Cheers and Blessings.... Notley really created a hornets nest.
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Mar 12, 2022, 10:05.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
      Blackpowder I would get good legal advice before proceeding.

We accepted a resignation letter, then had 3 years that we got legal defence bills . Anyone can file legal actions... and you must defend against them... you need a non disclosure agreement and be sure severance and past employee benefits agreed and signed off. Surprisingly $100k in legal bills defending against an ex-disgruntled employee... happens... like the snap of your fingers. It is both shocking and unbelievable what can happen... believe me... the personal hours spent, fighting such actions... on top of legal defence cost... will astound you.

You need to be Obie One... with the wisdom of 'Solomon'; and the patience of 'Job'... if you have worked with them over 5 years... 10 or more years really gets expensive. If they have ever started legal actions themselves... personally... an 'Iron man' suit may be required.

Cheers and Blessings.... Notley really created a hornets nest.
      P.S. If they 'think' you have 'deep pockets'... and have even hinted they deserve some of the farm... then be prepared ... an arbitration settlement may be the least costly. They can make divorce settlements look like childs play.

Comment

Tom I really value your input.
        New question. How do you find a lawyer that does his job and doesn't milk you?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          Tom I really value your input.
          New question. How do you find a lawyer that does his job and doesn't milk you?
          Perhaps the legal counsel that you trusted the best in your other legal dealings, could be your realistic beginning point.

No ‘easy’ answers… risk management is a volatile craft in 2022… your mental protection and that of your family is what is at risk… an ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure.

All the Best

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
            P.S. If they 'think' you have 'deep pockets'... and have even hinted they deserve some of the farm... then be prepared ... an arbitration settlement may be the least costly. They can make divorce settlements look like childs play.
            Are you referring to the bill from the lawyer or the settlement to the former employee?

Comment

Kind of a struggle for my simple brain to follow.
              No employees around my farm just simple me and I like it that way because it’s simple😁
              Last edited by seldomseen; Mar 12, 2022, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                Kind of a struggle for my simple brain to follow.
                No employees around around my farm just simple me and I like it that way because it’s simple😁
                I believe a man can consider himself a success if he never needs a lawyer.
                But the world is neither simple or fair.
                Employees or women, you never know what tomorrow brings.

Comment

I should also say
                  Best of luck with all that you are dealing with Blackpowder. Hope it all works all for you.

Comment

Thank you.
                    I post crap sometimes when I'm worked up. I appreciate being able to do so. And I'm happy to pass on any lessons. Ask me anything lol.
                    Hopefully funny sometimes.
                    Heck it's all farm related isn't it?
                    My Asperger's doesn't allow me to do grey and life is full of it.
                    I'm fiercely loyal and it rocks me when others aren't.

Comment

One more.
                      Lawyers $.125 per second
                      Shrinks $.07 per second.
                      Agriville free, as long as the clowns stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        One more.
                        Lawyers $.125 per second
                        Shrinks $.07 per second.
                        Agriville free, as long as the clowns stay home.
                        AHS now has FCSS- Mental Health Services with RN Councillors in Killam [Flagstaff County] that do Zoom or in person council sessions... if you are in need of family counciling services. Booked well into the future... but decent option if you need to talk to a professional. Decent they set this up here in Alberta.

Merle Good used to work for Alberta Agriculture and provided estate and tax planning... now at merlegood.grs at gmail.com phone- four 0 three- eight 0 four- eight 0 eight five [cell] to get some really great third party advice best professional advice I know of... better than many other lawyers.

Merle has been through everything under the sun in farm family [tax] estate employee relations with very good referral Councilours in their group. Very creative guy.

[Renowned Succession Expert Merle Good tackles intergenerational succession by ... Merle, his wife Peggy & daughter Annessa have created GRS Consulting Ltd.]
                        Last edited by TOM4CWB; Mar 13, 2022, 02:23.

Comment

Thank you for your sincerity Tom.
                          I could easily write a small book on my experiences with these topics and am open to passing them along if it helps anyone else.
                          Apologies if anyone on here takes me seriously.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...