• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting concerned about a late start to spring?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else getting concerned about a late start to spring?

Snow getting stacked up here fairly deep in the yard, but just try walking through it, ugg.

Have only had one thaw since before Christmas, that only lasted about 1.5 days, hitting a high of about +5,,, and not warm enough to settle the snow at all.

There is a hard layer(2") sitting on 14-16," with about another 6" of soft on top of the hard layer, but just try snowshoeing on this crap.
    Your snowshoes will break through that small harder layer and you sink down in all the loose dehydrated fluff underneath, up over your knees to mid thigh.
    It's deep, but I don't think there is a whole lot of moisture in it, and suspect it'll be like last year, melt, but not run anywhere.
    Will likely be some water for dugouts, especially if there are trees near, as with all the wind, most snow drifted till the trees bluffs stopped it. That's where the hard banks are, and most of the moisture.

Everything is so white with regular 1-2" snow falls every couple days. Last time we were facing this situation, the snow really didn't start melting till the third week in April, which is when some started planting last spring. Commonly start seeding here last week of April-first week of May. SE Sask.

Someone said don’t worry snow will be gone by mid March

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
      Snow getting stacked up here fairly deep in the yard, but just try walking through it, ugg.

Have only had one thaw since before Christmas, that only lasted about 1.5 days, hitting a high of about +5,,, and not warm enough to settle the snow at all.

There is a hard layer(2") sitting on 14-16," with about another 6" of soft on top of the hard layer, but just try snowshoeing on this crap.
      Your snowshoes will break through that small harder layer and you sink down in all the loose dehydrated fluff underneath, up over your knees to mid thigh.
      It's deep, but I don't think there is a whole lot of moisture in it, and suspect it'll be like last year, melt, but not run anywhere.
      Will likely be some water for dugouts, especially if there are trees near, as with all the wind, most snow drifted till the trees bluffs stopped it. That's where the hard banks are, and most of the moisture.

Everything is so white with regular 1-2" snow falls every couple days. Last time we were facing this situation, the snow really didn't start melting till the third week in April, which is when some started planting last spring. Commonly start seeding here last week of April-first week of May. SE Sask.

Yes. It’s been a brutal climate change kind of winter. Carbon tax is working.

But yes it’s not shaping up very good. It needs to warm up soon or it risks being a quick melt with flooding. It’s amazing how much snow is out there. The other concern is to grow grass, the snow needs to melt first I reckon. I don’t know that I have enough hay for a late start to green up.

The good news, is you never know in this country until it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Someone said don’t worry snow will be gone by mid March
        Ha. It’s almost mid March. Minus 26 this morning, minus 21 right now. The melt is on!

Comment

Nope. It’s only March! We have next to no snow here. World was brown before last Thursday.

It can snow from now until April 24 and then warm up.

People have been mislead with the last few years letting them get the drills into the field the first half of April around here. This year I would happily sacrifice that for some moisture. Getting into the fields in April isn’t going to matter when not much is going to grow anyway.

Snow snow snow!

Comment

And those libtards are gonna raise carbon tax on April fools day
            That imbecile might face another protest
            But probably not smart enough to realize that the sheep are taxed to the max

Comment

Late Easter..late spring..

Comment

Not concerned. Have a decent layer but it’ll soak in because of no frost. Unless we get a wet dump next 40 days we’ll be going may 1.

Comment

It will disappear,bone dry underneath. And we need every drop of it

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    And those libtards are gonna raise carbon tax on April fools day
                    That imbecile might face another protest
                    But probably not smart enough to realize that the sheep are taxed to the max
                    That's not a tax.
                    You have to get Chuck to explain it to you.
                    Everybody only pays a little and then you get a big cheque back from the government.
                    I'm sure the more the carbon tax goes up the bigger the cheque you get.
                    Justin's got your back.
                    Always there for Canadians.

Unless your part of the unacceptable fringe.

Comment

https://solarcycle25com.proboards.com/thread/54/astromet-nina-forecast-2021-2022

Winter ends May 5th ?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                        Nope. It’s only March! We have next to no snow here. World was brown before last Thursday.

It can snow from now until April 24 and then warm up.

People have been mislead with the last few years letting them get the drills into the field the first half of April around here. This year I would happily sacrifice that for some moisture. Getting into the fields in April isn’t going to matter when not much is going to grow anyway.

Snow snow snow!
                        Well I'm speaking to my area about conditions and normal spring melt and planting dates.

Of course if you have a skiff or no snow at all, then sure, a week or two is all you need.

If everything is white, and you have this much to melt, it takes time to melt, and more time to dry up, and that's provided you don't get more snow in the mean time, where the days pass while you melt again and dry up again,,, all over again.

Perhaps I should have also mentioned a 14 day forecast of below temps, with only Sunday reaching normal.(not unexpected when everything is white, and the sun can't catch grass, or stubble, or black dirt)

Comment

Over 3 ft on the level just 30 miles north of here .
                          Hey 16 seems to be the line , but that’s more normal than not .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Over 3 ft on the level just 30 miles north of here .
                            Hey 16 seems to be the line , but that’s more normal than not .
                            Further north of 16 snow gets heavier. Quite a lot more north of the river. I was out pushing off hillsides on the calving ground. South facing hills have 3’. Hilltops you see stubble. Markedly less snow around lloydminster and decreasing amounts further south you go. The northern areas have typically lighter soils and were dried out worse than we were so if that extra snow can soak in will be good.

Comment

Traveling from Saskatoon north to Prince Albert the heavy snow starts about the same place the crop was better last year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...