• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre seed burn off with animals?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
    I was not judging the size of your farm at all, the amount of acres or the number of livestock is not what I look at. That's why when you said you're farm is small I said that is baseless.

I was just being honest with you when I said to use Glyphosate.

Sheep can only eat so many weeds and how many will not be eaten and eventually go to seed.

Another thing can weed seeds not stick to wool. I know sheep get sheared but could not mature weed seeds still get caught in what wool is left and get spread throughout the farm.

There is enough proof out there that wild animals spread weed seeds in their shit and fur. Even birds and particularly geese are bad for that.

But by all means let your flock be your weed controller, I don't care either way it's your farm.

Just remember some weeds seeds can sit in the ground for 30 years before sprouting and if not controlled as much as possible good luck later in life controlling them.
    It should be fairly safe to presume that if you’re grazing a field pre emergence, majority (or all) of the weeds wouldn’t be mature enough to be setting seeds. In which case it wouldn’t be a big deal. Grazing mature weeds, different story and a consideration.

However taking a flock from a broken piece for arable onto a healthy pasture… wouldn’t much matter if they took seeds with them. A healthy pasture will not be economically impacted by weed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
      Some from my fathers generation called it couch grass.

From Wiki;

Other names include common couch,[1] twitch, quick grass, quitch grass (also just quitch), dog grass, quackgrass, scutch grass, and witchgrass.[2][3][4][5]
      in ireland we always called it scutch grass . horrible stuff ,roots grow straight tru potatoes

Comment

Couch originally for lawns in oz I’m guessing.

Then spread to pastures.

Blade plough or glypho seems only way to rid it.

Others turn it around and fertilise it to get max production

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
          What do you care what I post when you stated you would never hire somebody like me a few weeks ago.

So why are you asking me about Glyphosate.
          If you want to avoid answering the question just say so

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
            Couch originally for lawns in oz I’m guessing.

Then spread to pastures.

Blade plough or glypho seems only way to rid it.

Others turn it around and fertilise it to get max production
            The story here is when they built the railway road beds with horses and fresno's they brought the couch with them to feed the horses and it spread out from the rail lines.
            God damd Railroads!

It makes wonderful pasture if it's growing in deep manure and you keep it grazed down to keep it from jointing.
            Gets real coarse if it starts to head.

Comment

“Good” farmers in the day kept their quack black for 21 days. Work the patches separate and clean the shovels after working patches so as not to spread rhizomes. There was also probably some moon phase time as well. You could kill thistles at certain times too. Lot of those old “good” farmers fields are the most depleted fields requiring the most fertilizer. The old drunks who couldn’t keep their fallow worked and were nothing more than chickenshit farmers have the best fields today. Well their fields are good but they’re all dead. Excessive tillage has wrecked more land and caused far more starvation and bloodshed than any fictitious harms from glyphosate. Do I think we should be using it with impunity? Heck no! But it is a great tool for combating weeds like quack, thistle, toadflax, or any hard to kill weeds applied at the proper time in western Canada. I realize there’s places that from overuse or the climate in general that resistance is an issue. What I know I haven’t seen a problem but I have been diligent with respect to using it properly. Also, our farm hasn’t exactly been over farmed in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                fictitious harms from glyphosate.
                https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2022/03/epa-overlooks-glyphosate-and-roundup-ingredients-cancer-dna-damage-and-multigenerational-effects/

Comment

Have you ever seeded fall rye in the spring for grazing? It gives an unbelievable amount tonnage!

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                    What would you do if glufosinate wasn't available. Remember thread title is burn off with animals

Comment

Thought liberty is as hard to find right now as glyph anyway? Can’t get enough to even go with the feeble amount of seed they’ve got?

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKY View Post
                        Have you ever seeded fall rye in the spring for grazing? It gives an unbelievable amount tonnage!
                        I have indeed. Gave me two seasons of grazing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...