• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nickel

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nickel

What’s up with nickel

Read somewhere there was a short squeeze on nearby on London exchange.

Russia is a big producer.
    Embargo supply problems.

All the metals used in EV's are on a rip.
    Soon will have to bump subsidies to make them affordable.
    Last edited by shtferbrains; Mar 8, 2022, 16:43.

Comment

Don't know what's going on with nickel other than it's used to make stainless steel but I know 15 lbs of silver wire gets vaporized every time a cruise missile goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
        Don't know what's going on with nickel other than it's used to make stainless steel but I know 15 lbs of silver wire gets vaporized every time a cruise missile goes off.
        Nickel went from $20k/t to $101k/t in a couple of hours... no daily trading limits... so one guy[*] who was short owed over 8B$ in margin calls.

Hedgers get screwed if it is impossible to be allowed to actually deliver on a short position because of margin calls... which are often retroactively increased as volatility increases... which magnifies the futures volatility... forcing liquidation of the futures position... even though the traded commodity is available for delivery on time. Forced into buying puts... at huge premiums to hedge. Some would say a risky way to manage risk.. and very expensive [to the extreme] when the markets go crazy.

I think they retroactively walked the price back some $80k/t... and still are not trading till next week... London Exchange... Stopped trade Tuesday.

"[*] Big Shot’s short
        Bloomberg reports Chinese entrepreneur Xiang Guangda – known as “Big Shot” – has for months held a large short position on the LME through his company Tsingshan Holding Group Co, the world’s largest nickel and stainless steel producer."
        Last edited by TOM4CWB; Mar 11, 2022, 04:42.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
          Nickel went from $20k/t to $101k/t in a couple of hours... no daily trading limits... so one guy[*] who was short owed over 8B$ in margin calls.

Hedgers get screwed if it is impossible to be allowed to actually deliver on a short position because of margin calls... which are often retroactively increased as volatility increases... which magnifies the futures volatility... forcing liquidation of the futures position... even though the traded commodity is available for delivery on time. Forced into buying puts... at huge premiums to hedge. Some would say a risky way to manage risk.. and very expensive [to the extreme] when the markets go crazy.

I think they retroactively walked the price back some $80k/t... and still are not trading till next week... London Exchange... Stopped trade Tuesday.

"[*] Big Shot’s short
          Bloomberg reports Chinese entrepreneur Xiang Guangda – known as “Big Shot” – has for months held a large short position on the LME through his company Tsingshan Holding Group Co, the world’s largest nickel and stainless steel producer."
          A massive squeeze pushed nickel prices up by as much as 250%, the most extraordinary surge in the 145-year history of the LME.

Comment

Not sure if I remember it perfectly but read a tweet that said.
            "A tonne of nickel is worth a hundred thousand dollars and a tonne of nickels costs ten thousand dollars, "

Comment

I think it was a Chinese guy that did something similar with copper a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                I think it was a Chinese guy that did something similar with copper a few years ago
                What a HUGE lesson to learn... I sure did last year... the exchanges are brutal in how they treat hedge holders [producers] on margin calls [limit moves expanded very fast]. Wheat hedges have been brutal.. get stopped out... the losses can add up so fast,,, and then have no hedge. There has to be a better way. Back to back [sale by grower, and purchase by end user] transactions eliminate the margin calls... which the USDA reports weekly show the export commitments.... which allows sales transparency Canada is missing.

Ag Canada should have passed laws; like the US did on USDA reporting of export sales weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                  ... which the USDA reports weekly show the export commitments.... which allows sales transparency Canada is missing.

Ag Canada should have passed laws; like the US did on USDA reporting of export sales weekly.
                  Conservatives didn't think it was needed.
                  Hermanson and Ritz did not get it.
                  Ag Canada has sh it to do with it.
                  Ag Canada gave the export sales reporting recommendation to the Minister in 2011.
                  You cant fix stupid.

Not a chance in hell the Liberals will pass it now.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                    Conservatives didn't think it was needed.
                    Hermanson and Ritz did not get it.
                    Ag Canada has sh it to do with it.
                    Ag Canada gave the export sales reporting recommendation to the Minister in 2011.
                    You cant fix stupid.

Not a chance in hell the Liberals will pass it now.
                    ETF’s… with Billions of $$$… are not trading fundamentals… and create volatility of exponential magnitudes.
                    The basic commodity markets are being distorted fundamentally by ETF’s so hedged production can’t effectively (Farmers and End Users) and efficiently use futures markets in these conditions.

Comment

Lweber it is not that they thought it was not needed, they were told it was not needed. By the boss.
                      The same boss that said farmers should never be able to own a seed again.
                      The bosses with the yachts.
                      Conservative are not paid to think
                      They are paid to do .like Mulroney on the Board of ADM after leaving office. Cha ching $
                      Last edited by sawfly1; Mar 11, 2022, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                        Lweber it is not that they thought it was not needed, they were told it was not needed. By the boss.
                        The same boss that said farmers should never be able to own a seed again.
                        The bosses with the yachts.
                        Conservative are not paid to think
                        They are paid to do .like Mulroney on the Board of ADM after leaving office. Cha ching $
                        Gee what Boards did Tommy Douglas sit on? The evil oil companies. Oh ya, clear conscience.
                        Last edited by LEP; Mar 11, 2022, 14:44.

Comment

Inform Me and I will check it out .
                          Specifics would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                            Inform Me and I will check it out .
                            Specifics would be nice.
                            Spent his career fighting the evil oil companies and chased the head offices from Moose Jaw to Cagary and retired to the BOD for Husky Oil.

Comment

No Alberta sold out. If they had held out
                              With Sask our provinces bank accounts would look like Norways.
                              Plus most Sask oil comes out at 60 to 100$ a barrel not 10$.
                              Now admittedly development went to Alberta . The pillaging was better over there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...