• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regina lamb lovers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a nice glass of pepper Jack shiraz while I cook. PS usually have lamb twice as thick private kill butcher forgot I have em steak thickness. No one else does he says. Stiff shitz I say.

And PPS I realize there more going on in the world than this topic not a complete drongo.

The apprentice is having one of these available in Canada my fav drop
    Last edited by Landdownunder; Mar 2, 2022, 02:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
      Having a nice glass of pepper Jack shiraz while I cook. PS usually have lamb twice as thick private kill butcher forgot I have em steak thickness. No one else does he says. Stiff shitz I say.

And PPS I realize there more going on in the world than this topic not a complete drongo.

The apprentice is having one of these available in Canada my fav drop
      Nice. I learnt years ago to cook lamb the way I cook beef. I was overcooking it before. I am a smoker guy but havent found I like smoked lamb the way other meats work on a smoker. I feel it takes too much of the natural lamb flavor away. The kids couldn't even tell it was lamb and not roast beef after using the smoker. Need more trial I guess. We buy our lamb from the neighbors. Sad thing is that many of the lamb producers locally don't eat their own product?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
        Nice. I learnt years ago to cook lamb the way I cook beef. I was overcooking it before. I am a smoker guy but havent found I like smoked lamb the way other meats work on a smoker. I feel it takes too much of the natural lamb flavor away. The kids couldn't even tell it was lamb and not roast beef after using the smoker. Need more trial I guess. We buy our lamb from the neighbors. Sad thing is that many of the lamb producers locally don't eat their own product?
        The Dam Smokehouse in Nipawin buys our lamb. All they do there is smoke awesome food. I’m not sure what his recipe is. I want to go try our lamb there and see what it’s like, because I know what you mean. Why eat lamb if it doesn’t taste like lamb?

In our house, all we eat is lamb, moose, elk, and deer. When we have beef, we class it as a real treat! Haha.

Lamb often has a negative perception of tallowy, strong, intense. Most of those folks had a bad mutton experience, or poorly cooked lamb. Lamb can indeed have an off putting flavour. With hair sheep this is all avoided in general. We have had people come by our booth at farmers markets, literally and arrogantly, for lack of a better term, (I mean it’s shocking the faces some put on when you tell them it’s lamb. People, you can do better for the sake of manners at the very least!), turning up their noses and flinching like a mosquito landed on their cheek when they see we have lamb. “I can’t eat lamb”, is the often repeated mantra. But the husband (usually it’s him) will try anything, so he gives it a shot. Many times this couple returns, and she then takes a sample. “Hmm, that’s really good”. And then they buy some. That is the most rewarding experience for us. It tells us we are in the right track. It built confidence to pursue this thing further.

Our diverse product line also helps. Not a soul can turn up their nose at our snack stix!

And no, you don’t have to like lamb. But give it a fair chance at least! WW2 mutton ration experience dies hard! Lol
        Last edited by Sheepwheat; Mar 2, 2022, 10:05.

Comment

I know diddly squat about sheep but I enjoyed this thread. Keep it up you Agriville Outliers LoL.

Comment

Hmmm off putting flavour, intense? Never heard such terms used for lamb.

Mutton meaning 18 month to. 2 years is becoming very popular because it has MORE flavour.

Lamb can be bland for some.

Some butchers experiment with aged lamb and mutton letting it hang for two months

Lamb shanks popular over there? Dog food here 20 yrs ago now a delicacy in slow cooker.

Oh and those of us who want this to continue as a Ag forum shall continue to treat it as such
            Last edited by Landdownunder; Mar 2, 2022, 12:58.

Comment

I'll tell you what went through my mind when I hit like on the last post.
              "What would my father think"
              Dead 22 years. And I'm communicating instantaneously with the other side of the world. Perspective tempers the emotions eh?

Comment

Yeah.

Grew to hate agriville a while back hence my hiatus for dunno maybe a year

Missed interaction and like you said instant.

See admin commented to right up my alley.

Only need two forums here farming encompassing all farming beef crops machinery marketing sheep yeah sorry.

And one for everything else.

Easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
                  Hmmm off putting flavour, intense? Never heard such terms used for lamb.

Mutton meaning 18 month to. 2 years is becoming very popular because it has MORE flavour.

Lamb can be bland for some.

Some butchers experiment with aged lamb and mutton letting it hang for two months

Lamb shanks popular over there? Dog food here 20 yrs ago now a delicacy in slow cooker.

Oh and those of us who want this to continue as a Ag forum shall continue to treat it as such
                  I think in places where the ovine species is more common, the flavour is what they know, the more flavourful, the merrier. But here where beef is king, to many, including me, traditional mutton and lots of lamb does have what we would call a disagreeable flavour. Often for good reason. It is what you know after all. That tallowy roof of the mouth, “gamey” flavour. I have approached a few Greek restaurant folks with samples and while they like our lamb, it isn’t strong enough of a flavour. They forget the lamb isn’t for them, it’s for their customers who I guarantee are going to prefer our lamb, because strong flavour scares people off!

Shanks are our 2nd best selling cut. Top seller of the primal cuts is frenched rack. Highest price too. .It’s great to sell the bones included for a good price. Lol. Shanks are great though low and slow. Our retail cuts are vac packed, and so a few % low the seal. We get to eat those packages. Cost of doing business I call it.

Comment

I’m certainly not innocent on here for sure. I’ve tried to avoid much arguing for a bit now. And I truly am not qualified to say much about the Ukraine war, so it’s easy enough to avoid that. Covid is what gets me going for sure. My apologies. Again.

Comment

I don't know if you have noticed me lurking and liking on here. I just want to say again Agriville is/was my window on the farming world since i retired 10 years ago. When you retire you won't believe how quickly you become irrelavant on the farm scene.
                      I can't say enough about how it makes my day when Sheepwheat who i have met a few times talks about his business. Add in Mallee who i live for his farming topics from down under. I visited Australia a few years ago but mostly around Sydney and can see from his posts that his area is much different. Then there is Sask Farmer who although like me pisses and moans about our countries fearless leader lol. His input on his farming and lifestyle is interesting and his family earned what they have. Case IH i admire you can tell he worked on and off the farm for what he has and in an area that sometimes is not to kind to farming. Woodland i love his input because he reminds me of my farming days but on steroids lol. There are many others too that make me come here often.
                      On the other side of the coin there are a few that if i didnt control myself i would lower myself to their level which would be a disaster for me. One of them i am familiar with is just a bitter man longing for his glory days in the past lol lol lol and i am thinking the rest maybe just small people who are hiding behind a keyboard and just being as its been said dinks.
                      I am glad the Admin is back in town and will hopefully clean this forum up a bit. I will do my part by being quiet and only reading the commodity section and the rest can have fun over on rural issues. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Repost on admin thread thoughts echoed by many

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...