• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drew Learners weather podcast

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
    We have a nice snow cover here too, it looks good from the road,,,

but if you dig in it, it's just dehydrated fluff. We're still in trouble.
    A wee skiff at best here. It's DRY!

Comment

With regards to Drew's last 2 prognosticators, it would seem that we (SE AB) are going into planting with a serious moisture deficit (It's bone dry pretty much from the surface to the water table) and the remaining winter months as well as the critical for establishment months of april/may are not looking good either.

He figures there is a good chance the rain train starts getting going in a meaningful manner towards the end of may and into June. If we end up with garbage germination off the hop that doesn't start to even out until June though, I've yet to see one of those kinds of crops make much of themselves in this area.

NOAA's seasonal outlooks are struggling to bring much in the way of moisture into this area for the june/july period (contrary to drew), and Environment Canada seems to be mixed. NOAA updates here in a couple days, and Environment Canada at the beginning of next month.

With the horrendous drought hangover that we're currently in, I'm of the belief that it will take a significantly above average amount of rainfall to produce an average crop, and near biblical to make for something worth getting truly excited about.

Comment

Hopefully the patterns set up and SW sask and southern Alberta get those systems by mid May
        Lots will be very dry till then
        We will barely have enough to get the crop in and started

Lots can change yet , but yes a huge area in western Canada still very very dry with zero subsoil .

Comment

We’re at 50 plus inches of snowfall since November is what I’m told by someone keeping track. Lots blown into the bush and tree lines but was well over my knees in the middle of the field when I was out on the skidoo. There should be some moisture to get things going.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
            We’re at 50 plus inches of snowfall since November is what I’m told by someone keeping track. Lots blown into the bush and tree lines but was well over my knees in the middle of the field when I was out on the skidoo. There should be some moisture to get things going.
            We are in our usual pattern here where we are wetter than most. Froze up wet. Piles and piles of snow. I’m more worried about a too wet to seed spring than a dry spring at this point, depending on what spring is like. Went to hook up the stock trailer yesterday, hadn’t used it for a while. Crotch deep snow in the sheltered yard where no blowing occurred. Was down at Regina and was surprised as I thought we all had lots of snow. Way less twenty five miles south of us. And then all the way to Regina is similar.

Hope to have hay to sell next year.
            Last edited by Sheepwheat; Feb 16, 2022, 12:19.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...