• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New idea for Democracy?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New idea for Democracy?

Our current political system I think leaves a lot to be desired. My biggest issue is the "party" system and think that if everyone was elected on the basis of being an independent thinker to represent your constituents and not towing the party line most would feel better about the decisions that are made. Even at that electing an official is generally a popularity contest more than actually finding the right person for the task at hand, hence our current PM.

I also believe that to some extent the will of the masses is not always the best choice. Often people dont know what's best for them and also think short term/personal instead of long term and best for the group.

In Alberta starting in the Ralph Kline years the public have had a number of opportunities to vote on matters of the province. I appreciated that and assume others did too. In this day and age why couldn't we give everyone eligible to vote an app where everyone has a chance to influence policy direction and other government choices. Would have to be phrased properly as option A vs option B to allow people an informed choice. Would be representative and fast. Polls are an indication but are easily skewed by demographics and who chooses to respond. But if everyone was eligible / able and had a deadline it should be pretty accurate as to mood of the public.

Current antivax mandate protests are good example of people feeling they are unheard by government. Put it to a quick vote and put it to bed. A quick explanation of a yes or no vote and a quick pro/con scenario. I could live with either outcome, but would rather not see the protests / division / economic harm continue.

GDR:

In a perfect world where everyone had all the information and time to consider that information in making a choice, direct democracy would be a great idea. But in today's modern society I doubt if most people would take the time or effort to make an informed choice.

Direct democracy would be the death knell of modern farming practices. How many urban people, if asked do you support more restrictions on chemical applications, fertilizer, or confined livestock practices would vote to reduce inputs and have all animals free range? Urban numbers far outweigh the rural vote. We never have a rural voice again. At least with a riding system we have some rural representation.

Direct democracy would take away western Canadians complaint about Quebec running the show since one person/one vote across Canada means every Quebecor would have the same power as a westerner, which is how our riding system is supposed to work and look at the problems we have now.

I wonder how a quick vote and put it to bed vote of all Canadians would result on climate change, green energy, or even pipelines today?

Be very careful what you ask for.
    Last edited by dmlfarmer; Feb 13, 2022, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
      And media (elite) control would continue, this world is full of sheep.
      Even if you had a referendum , people like JWAb and Burnt would not except the results unless it favored them ala Trp. The media rigged it the machines were tampered with etc.

Comment

What really is needed is a two party system , this idea of running the country with 32% of the vote is a joke.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	democracy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	773092

Comment

Not normally a fan a Bill Maher but this is telling
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i72czkSUsM

Comment

Baby steps first,if our politician do what the say and have the best of the country at heart and not their own interest would be one step forward . At question period when a question gets ask and the don't answer it at all the should be sent to the penalty box without pay for a couple of weeks. And if they keep doing that they should get fired. I watched cpac a few times and get really mad at the contempt these guys have for the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                GDR:

In a perfect world where everyone had all the information and time to consider that information in making a choice, direct democracy would be a great idea. But in today's modern society I doubt if most people would take the time or effort to make an informed choice.

Direct democracy would be the death knell of modern farming practices. How many urban people, if asked do you support more restrictions on chemical applications, fertilizer, or confined livestock practices would vote to reduce inputs and have all animals free range? Urban numbers far outweigh the rural vote. We never have a rural voice again. At least with a riding system we have some rural representation.

Direct democracy would take away western Canadians complaint about Quebec running the show since one person/one vote across Canada means every Quebecor would have the same power as a westerner, which is how our riding system is supposed to work and look at the problems we have now.

I wonder how a quick vote and put it to bed vote of all Canadians would result on climate change, green energy, or even pipelines today?

Be very careful what you ask for.
                Agree with everything you have said but there has to be a better way to understand everyone's position and to find a way for people to accept decsicions even if they dont always agree. I feel we are heading to the ways of the wild west where everyone is out for themselves and their agenda and its not just government that's the problem it's the me, me, me society we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                  Not normally a fan a Bill Maher but this is telling
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i72czkSUsM
                  deserves easy access

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but before we tear up the existing system of governance, we need to return to its intended function.

We have a Constitution and a Charter of Rights (such as it is).

We have the Westminster democratic form of responsible government whereby the people maintain control of their lives and national destiny by electing members to a parliament where differing views meet and hammer out a course of action.

A course of action which should bear a strong reflection of the majority of the people the majority of the time.

And all this takes place within the well-established influence of age-old restraints such as the Magna Carta, Common Law, Habeus Corpus, BNA Act, etc - all of which are foundational to our Constitution.

But what happens when a herd of spoiled upstarts reactively chooses to discard those ancient,protective guideposts when a supposed threat appears?

What happens when a government decides to ignore all existing parliamentary process and rule by mandate? When a few self-interested souls assume the role of king and rule by decree, capitalizing on amplified fear of an exaggerated threat to establish their grip?

It's perfectly clear - what was once sound government turns into the kind of fascist dictatorship today in Canada.

Every action which is rightfully being protected presently was implemented unlawfully in complete, audacious violation of our governing documents.

Do we really need to restructure government? There are definitely areas to improve, some a lot.

However, before we embark on some massive renovations, we need to evict the tyrants, clean house and reestablish the foundation of our rule of law.

When rule of law fails, no-one is safe and secure. Especially not the tyrants.

Comment

Having said all that, I think there needs to be a stronger or more enforceable. provincial bridle over the federal government.

This would allow for more autonomy in regional matters.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...