• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain prices here

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain prices here

Got a message from Canadian buddy yesterday how’s grain prices here.

Flat to easing in wheat, rising slightly in barley canola about $100 to 150 of harvest highs.

But there’s a trick to all this now.

Australia’s peak shipping is late December to June.
    Everyone knows when vessels come in and what cargo is, legislation when single desk dismantled in our state that all shipping stems be known 10 weeks ahead. Commodity, Tonnes but not grade.

As harvest progresses here grain in silo or elevator system is known to buyers exact tonnes and grade and stacked averages of protien. Buyers have access to growers unsold tonnes in each elevator if growers choose to disclose most do.

So the trick is to know who accumulated a lot of grain and who didn’t brokers are the trick here. Also get a fair idea during harvest, company A has good prices for say three weeks then just drops prices $20 below best bids rest assured they have accumulated enough tonnes for the moment. Company B conversely might be $20 below all harvest ie have no interest in buying yet.

Most days around 15 buyers active within a few bucks of each other then payment terms etc come into play and spread prices. Best terms 3 days.

So right at the moment we have a company B operating at moment. Active prices per harvest about a month before real good prices above the market. Accumulating grain pre harvest. Then during harvest they were crap, so assumption was at the time they had enough grain on there books.

Well they have a vessel due to dock in I think feb 16th. Last 3 days came in like a winter blizzard $22 above market. Meaning they obviously have a shipping short and scrambling for tonnes. Call it basis if you wish.

Grain buyers bid for shipping slots mid year.

So yeah world prices can be slipping but rising here due to shipping.

Maybe your system is much easier than our complicated system. Was all nutted out before single desk got transitioned out.

Not sure how austcanada system in WA works may have less buyers over there not sure dominated by 3 companies possibly.

Currently feed barley port $330 and standard wheat $ just short of $400 per tonne $398.

Take of $28 to get on farm price for me.

Enjoy your weekend.

Oh PS foward pricing for 22 harvest is hot some days canola especially.

Hi Mallee

Just sold some canola for $1,015/T picked up this month which is the highest we’ve ever gotten. Feed Barley is running around $390/T picked up as well.

Cull cows are running about 70-80 cents/lb and I got a couple loads to take to the auction mart on Sunday. Not that great when you realize canola is worth 46 cents/lb………….

Crazy times🍀

Comment

Woodland I’ve read that one packer is down to one shift and one not in the market for culls at this particular time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
        Woodland I’ve read that one packer is down to one shift and one not in the market for culls at this particular time.
        There was a media report of 150 semi loads of meat backed up in AB... blamed on the Convoy at Coutts.

I find that hard to believe... there are plenty of US crossing customs entry points other than Coutts that can be easy alternates... like Kingsgate...-
        "
        The crossing at Kingsgate/Eastport is open 24 hours a day, year round. ... Entering the USA, cross at Eastport on Highway 95 North. For additional information, phone (208) 267-3966."

So why would any back up of meat be stranded at all... unless it is a truck/truckdriver shortage?

Same on produce coming from the US into western Canada by truck?

Cheers

Comment

I agree Tom …I don’t like giving names of businesses over these platforms…but will say this particular type of business would have knowledge of something going on….prices on culls were off 5 to 7 dollars per hundred weight end of the week.

Comment

I thought the fringe border crossings didn't have facilities to certify meat, that the next closest ones were B.C. and Manitoba.

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
              The prices have seemed to be steady and the numbers at the auction marts are down last week so hopefully they’ll do ok on Monday? Kinda would like them gone as it’s the only bunch getting fed and bedded😉. I’ve been thinking for the last year that prices should be higher and climbing from where they are but I’m giving up on that dream/gamble…………. Maybe next year I’ll be right but I can contract $7 feed barley for October which is still crazy compared to $5 a year ago. If it’s dry again this summer then who knows where the bottom is? 🎲🎲

Much easier and less stressful watching my canola and barley burn up than the pasture getting crispy…………..🍀

Comment

Understandable…good luck

Comment

What is the price of land doing down there. Is it farmers buying the land, or have investment companies started buying the land. Is foreign ownership a problem) concern down there.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                    There was a media report of 150 semi loads of meat backed up in AB... blamed on the Convoy at Coutts.

I find that hard to believe... there are plenty of US crossing customs entry points other than Coutts that can be easy alternates... like Kingsgate...-
                    "
                    The crossing at Kingsgate/Eastport is open 24 hours a day, year round. ... Entering the USA, cross at Eastport on Highway 95 North. For additional information, phone (208) 267-3966."

So why would any back up of meat be stranded at all... unless it is a truck/truckdriver shortage?

Same on produce coming from the US into western Canada by truck?

Cheers
                    CFIA said this was not right and media trying to stir public

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...