• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erin O’Toole has to unhitch Conservatives from the ‘Freedom Convoy,’ or get run over

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erin O’Toole has to unhitch Conservatives from the ‘Freedom Convoy,’ or get run over

The Editorial Board
    Published 3 hours ago

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-erin-otoole-has-to-unhitch-conservatives-from-the-freedom-convoy-or/

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole has been putting down internal rebellions ever since last fall’s general election. This week, he is facing his greatest challenge yet: a new variant of concern running wild in his party.

Three high-profile MPs have openly defied Mr. O’Toole by coming out in support of the convoy of don’t-vax-me truckers snaking its way eastward on the Trans-Canada Highway as a protest against Ottawa’s newly imposed cross-border vaccine mandates for drivers.

One of the three, Pierre Poilievre, was named as the best choice to lead the Conservatives into the next election in a recent Nanos Research poll conducted for The Globe and Mail. Another, Candice Bergen, is the deputy leader of the party. The third rebel is Andrew Scheer, the previous leader.

As well, heading into a caucus retreat on Wednesday, Mr. O’Toole faced calls for an early leadership review from at least two riding associations. All of this has led to speculation that Mr. O’Toole has run out of allies, and may have to consider stepping down.

Here’s a better idea for Mr. O’Toole: Step up.

Ever since the Trudeau government brought in vaccine mandates for federal employees and people travelling by rail or plane last year, Mr. O’Toole has tried to straddle the fence, saying he supports vaccines but not mandates, and opposes mandates but not vaccines.

That weak position, and his obvious lack of enthusiasm for it, left him without answers (again) this week when reporters repeatedly tried and failed to get him to take a position on the truckers’ protest.

This page has spent the past year advocating for the scientifically obvious, which is that vaccination is key to getting beyond the pandemic. We have supported vaccine passports in non-essential businesses, and vaccine mandates in workplaces and higher education.

We also questioned the cost-benefit analysis behind the vaccine mandate for truckers, which requires a cross-border driver returning from the U.S. to be fully vaccinated in order to avoid a 14-day quarantine.

But whatever the merits of Canada doing away with the border mandate, the case is now moot: Last weekend, the White House imposed a similar mandate, which means that, even if Ottawa reversed itself, the 15 per cent of Canadian truckers who aren’t vaccinated are still stuck on this side of the border.

And in any case, the convoy has devolved into a promotional vehicle for all manner of anti-vaxxers, take-back-my-country types and conspiracy hucksters, including such luminaries as Donald Trump Jr.

Those in the convoy are of course within their rights to protest peacefully. But they, along with the Conservative MPs supporting them, are completely out of touch with the vast majority of Canadians.

As of this week, 91 per cent of Canadian adults have had at least one shot, and more than 88 per cent are double-dosed.

Mr. Trudeau, the guy who imposed federal vaccine mandates – because he knew they would be popular – has twice the support of Mr. O’Toole in recent polls.

And who are Canada’s two most prominent conservative politicians, both of whom appear to be cruising to re-election? That would be Premier Doug Ford of Ontario, who has gone so far as to eject four MPPs from his caucus for opposing public-health measures or refusing to get vaccinated; and François Legault in Quebec, the country’s most enthusiastic imposer of mandates to get people vaccinated.

Mr. Legault’s latest idea, a tax on the unvaccinated, is surprisingly popular. A recent Nanos Research Poll found that 60 per cent of Canadians support or somewhat support the idea, including 72 per cent of people over 55 – the age group most likely to lean Conservative.

So why are some Conservative MPs loudly supporting a small group of denialists in big rigs? Why are they buying into an anarchic, anti-social distortion of “freedom” that’s imported from the U.S.?

Conservatives are supposed to be the people who believe in law and order, common sense and protecting your community. Mr. O’Toole needs to stand up for the silent majority of Canadians – the overwhelming majority, including among his own voters – who understand that the past two years have been a real public-health crisis, not a hoax. He would be doing himself, his country and his party a favour.

Zero plus Zero equals exactly Zero, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Another western redneck Neanderthal write up from a Treadau cheerleader paper.

Exactly why they are protesting. They don't get it and are happy that way.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        The Editorial Board
        Published 3 hours ago

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-erin-otoole-has-to-unhitch-conservatives-from-the-freedom-convoy-or/

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole has been putting down internal rebellions ever since last fall’s general election. This week, he is facing his greatest challenge yet: a new variant of concern running wild in his party.

Three high-profile MPs have openly defied Mr. O’Toole by coming out in support of the convoy of don’t-vax-me truckers snaking its way eastward on the Trans-Canada Highway as a protest against Ottawa’s newly imposed cross-border vaccine mandates for drivers.

One of the three, Pierre Poilievre, was named as the best choice to lead the Conservatives into the next election in a recent Nanos Research poll conducted for The Globe and Mail. Another, Candice Bergen, is the deputy leader of the party. The third rebel is Andrew Scheer, the previous leader.

As well, heading into a caucus retreat on Wednesday, Mr. O’Toole faced calls for an early leadership review from at least two riding associations. All of this has led to speculation that Mr. O’Toole has run out of allies, and may have to consider stepping down.

Here’s a better idea for Mr. O’Toole: Step up.

Ever since the Trudeau government brought in vaccine mandates for federal employees and people travelling by rail or plane last year, Mr. O’Toole has tried to straddle the fence, saying he supports vaccines but not mandates, and opposes mandates but not vaccines.

That weak position, and his obvious lack of enthusiasm for it, left him without answers (again) this week when reporters repeatedly tried and failed to get him to take a position on the truckers’ protest.

This page has spent the past year advocating for the scientifically obvious, which is that vaccination is key to getting beyond the pandemic. We have supported vaccine passports in non-essential businesses, and vaccine mandates in workplaces and higher education.

We also questioned the cost-benefit analysis behind the vaccine mandate for truckers, which requires a cross-border driver returning from the U.S. to be fully vaccinated in order to avoid a 14-day quarantine.

But whatever the merits of Canada doing away with the border mandate, the case is now moot: Last weekend, the White House imposed a similar mandate, which means that, even if Ottawa reversed itself, the 15 per cent of Canadian truckers who aren’t vaccinated are still stuck on this side of the border.

And in any case, the convoy has devolved into a promotional vehicle for all manner of anti-vaxxers, take-back-my-country types and conspiracy hucksters, including such luminaries as Donald Trump Jr.

Those in the convoy are of course within their rights to protest peacefully. But they, along with the Conservative MPs supporting them, are completely out of touch with the vast majority of Canadians.

As of this week, 91 per cent of Canadian adults have had at least one shot, and more than 88 per cent are double-dosed.

Mr. Trudeau, the guy who imposed federal vaccine mandates – because he knew they would be popular – has twice the support of Mr. O’Toole in recent polls.

And who are Canada’s two most prominent conservative politicians, both of whom appear to be cruising to re-election? That would be Premier Doug Ford of Ontario, who has gone so far as to eject four MPPs from his caucus for opposing public-health measures or refusing to get vaccinated; and François Legault in Quebec, the country’s most enthusiastic imposer of mandates to get people vaccinated.

Mr. Legault’s latest idea, a tax on the unvaccinated, is surprisingly popular. A recent Nanos Research Poll found that 60 per cent of Canadians support or somewhat support the idea, including 72 per cent of people over 55 – the age group most likely to lean Conservative.

So why are some Conservative MPs loudly supporting a small group of denialists in big rigs? Why are they buying into an anarchic, anti-social distortion of “freedom” that’s imported from the U.S.?

Conservatives are supposed to be the people who believe in law and order, common sense and protecting your community. Mr. O’Toole needs to stand up for the silent majority of Canadians – the overwhelming majority, including among his own voters – who understand that the past two years have been a real public-health crisis, not a hoax. He would be doing himself, his country and his party a favour.
        Quick question Chuck2, why do you think most people got vaccinated? In the people I meet a third got vaccinated so they could travel, a third got vaccinated so they could go to their kids hockey games and restaurants and bars and the remaining third did so because they believed in the vaccine. Chuck2 what do you find when you ask people this question?

Comment

You have to wonder about all the people hitchin their wagon to the "freedom" convoy.

85 -90% of truckers are already vaccinated and can cross the border without worry.

The other 10-15% can still work in Canada.

Vaccines are our best defense against more sickness, disruption and more stringent lockdowns.

When tens of thousands of seniors living in long term care died from covid, many under the most horrible conditions possible, where were the "freedom" fighters? Did they mount a convoy to protest the shitty conditions and the thousands of horrible deaths in many nursing homes?

If there was ever a cause that needed more attention it was the many needless deaths by neglect in poorly run overcrowded nursing homes. Not only did the elderly lose their freedom and dignity, their families suffered as well. This continues today.

Our seniors with aged immune systems are the most vulnerable, even when fully vaccinated. They are isolated and alone without a voice.

You would think with all the outrage from a small number of truckers who don't like vaccine mandates that that would be a small issue compared to taking care of our seniors.

But apparently there are a small number of people who think vaccines mandates for them are the most important issue. Its a sad commentary on the selfishness of a segment of our population.
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Jan 27, 2022, 08:58.

Comment

Comment

This isn’t about truckers crossing the border….

https://www.facebook.com/whistlestoptruckstopcafe/videos/384726723420279/

Comment

Again with the half truths chuck chuck my mother in a home crippled up basically from 90 years of farm and ranch wear and tear…..my dad married 65 years and most of her friends have passed on…..never got vaccinated because of her beliefs…her words I’ve lived a good life we need to let the younger generations live theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                  Another western redneck Neanderthal write up from a Treadau cheerleader paper.

Exactly why they are protesting. They don't get it and are happy that way.
                  Your words not mine!

The Globe and Mail editorial board endorsed Steven Harper for prime minister in a previous election.

Comment

Over $6 million in support and people still sending money. MSM trying hard to smear the cause saying the money will all be mismanaged but they can't stop it.
                    You send any Chuck?
                    NDP are some of the biggest supporters.
                    People are pissed.
                    Have taken all the BS they can stand.
                    Happy to see people finaly rebelling.

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                      Again with the half truths chuck chuck my mother in a home crippled up basically from 90 years of farm and ranch wear and tear…..my dad married 65 years and most of her friends have passed on…..never got vaccinated because of her beliefs…her words I’ve lived a good life we need to let the younger generations live theirs.
                      So you wouldn't mind if she died alone from dehydration in her shitty diaper after days of no food and water?

Comment

O'Toole's support of the rally has come a little late, and it shows. IMO what started as a trucker vaccine mandate protest has evolved into a protest of the terrible handling of the Covid problem. All around the western world people have grown sick of the loss of their freedoms. This is not about the Vax. This is about the lockdowns, the shutdowns, the lost jobs, the closed businesses, and the inability to move freely. Add to that the high price inflation and the carbon tax. When people see the Amazons and the Walmarts of the world growing and the small business suffering people reach a boiling point. For me I am triple vaxed and believe in the vax but the fact that so many farm shows and other things were still cancelled really bugs me. We were sold a bill of goods that the idea was to get the vaccine and be able to participate.
                        As for O'Toole, I believe he is on his way out. His performance since the last election has been a huge disappointment. I think you are going to see a leadership change pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                          You have to wonder about all the people hitchin their wagon to the "freedom" convoy.

85 -90% of truckers are already vaccinated and can cross the border without worry.

The other 10-15% can still work in Canada.

Vaccines are our best defense against more sickness, disruption and more stringent lockdowns.

When tens of thousands of seniors living in long term care died from covid, many under the most horrible conditions possible, where were the "freedom" fighters? Did they mount a convoy to protest the shitty conditions and the thousands of horrible deaths in many nursing homes?

If there was ever a cause that needed more attention it was the many needless deaths by neglect in poorly run overcrowded nursing homes. Not only did the elderly lose their freedom and dignity, their families suffered as well. This continues today.

Our seniors with aged immune systems are the most vulnerable, even when fully vaccinated. They are isolated and alone without a voice.

You would think with all the outrage from a small number of truckers who don't like vaccine mandates that that would be a small issue compared to taking care of our seniors.

But apparently there are a small number of people who think vaccines mandates for them are the most important issue. Its a sad commentary on the selfishness of a segment of our population.
                          Chuck2 do you know anybody that lost their jobs because of vaccine mandates? I know quite a few. One was an LPN who was 7 months pregnant. Another was an LPN with 20 years of service. You of course would just say get the jab. Rural postal service in Alberta is very slow due to lack of staff. Still waiting on a cheque that was mailed Jan. 3. The person who mailed it lives 40 minutes away, grain buyer. I pick up my cheques now. Both LPN’s observing what occurred in hospitals made an educated decision not to be vaccinated and that is their choice imo.

I have absolutely no issue with seniors getting vaccinated, in fact I am in favour of it. Both my mother and father in law fully vaxxed. Most deaths occurred in people over 65 with 1 or more co morbidities, statistical fact.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                            Over $6 million in support and people still sending money. MSM trying hard to smear the cause saying the money will all be mismanaged but they can't stop it.
                            You send any Chuck?
                            NDP are some of the biggest supporters.
                            People are pissed.
                            Have taken all the BS they can stand.
                            Happy to see people finaly rebelling.
                            In your dreams. You are living in a fantasy world. The convoy will be over next week and the mandates will still be on in the US and Canada.

"And in any case, the convoy has devolved into a promotional vehicle for all manner of anti-vaxxers, take-back-my-country types and conspiracy hucksters, including such luminaries as Donald Trump Jr."
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Jan 27, 2022, 09:16.

Comment

Chuck2, simple question what benefit is it to the health of Canadians to force the remaining 15% of truckers to be vaccinated? They have been crossing the borders as essential workers for the last 2 years. What does it accomplish now?????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...