• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And here we are told to ditch fertility...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here we are told to ditch fertility...

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/crops/article/2021/12/15/602-bpa-field-earns-hula-top-honors

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/crops/article/2021/12/15/602-bpa-field-earns-hula-top-honors
    In Canada we are told to celebrate mediocrity and to do with less, not so in the USA.
    Was at the neighbour’s yesterday, celebrating his 60th birthday. Was talking to a farmer that had just got some fertilizer pricing back, spring delivery I believe. Anyway had the soil tested, fertility was low on macros, good on micros. Fert recommendation for Canola was just under $240 an acre(about 380 lbs. of product), for wheat it was $188(about 305 lbs. of product), all I could say was holy ####!

Comment

This is the year to get a base fertility down then add later. Hula and others do this almost weekly , but they can with the climate they have , not realistic here at all.

But ... Here , we found that we can do it twice if .. 1. Crop establishment is good . 2 if the weeds are controlled. 3 if moisture is adequate.
      Soil test recommendations are just that , there are many factors like moisture that dictate what will be used as we all know in low moisture areas .
      A 20 bus crop won’t need 380# of product . But you can add later to get to reasonable yields using less total. Not ideal for all years , but for those of us we extremely limited soil moisture this year , it can and does work .

Comment

Meanwhile, our competition in South America apparently didn't get the same memo that we got. This from Kory Melby's twitter a few days ago:

The 2nd item is the copious amounts of fertilizer used by Brazil this past year. Increases of 15-20% YoY. That tells me soybean crop potential is YUGE.

Not sure how that squares with earlier reports of fertilizer shortages from SA?

But more importantly, why are we being fed the BS that we need to cut back, while our competition is apparently proudly increasing application?

Comment

A simple reason , the liberals have dove head on into UN 2030 and under advice from groups like the NFU want to make us all organic hobby farmers
          They despise the wealth they see on paper on farms in western Canada , so they want to dismantle the “large farm” boogeyman.
          On the back of this “pandemic” they will try make it as unreasonable as possible to “build back better” on the back of the resulting “supply shortage” and massive increase in inputs and machinery .... which means turn everyone into a smaller organic based hobby farmer using the regen ag concept as per the advice from the NFU . One snag though , the UN want to eliminate livestock farming as it produces evil methane and requires too much water per lb of protein.
          So it is very interesting to watch this unfold as livestock producers are now under fire from the same agency’s that want to kill mono crop producers.
          I could be wrong but everything is lining up that way.... .
          Last edited by furrowtickler; Dec 18, 2021, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            A simple reason , the liberals have dove head on into UN 2030 and under advice from groups like the NFU want to make us all organic hobby farmers
            They despise the wealth they see on paper on farms in western Canada , so they want to dismantle the “large farm” boogeyman.
            On the back of this “pandemic” they will try make it as unreasonable as possible to “build back better” on the back of the resulting “supply shortage” and massive increase in inputs and machinery .... which means turn everyone into a smaller organic based hobby farmer using the regen ag concept as per the advice from the NFU . One snag though , the UN want to eliminate livestock farming as it produces evil methane and requires too much water per lb of protein.
            So it is very interesting to watch this unfold as livestock producers are now under fire from the same agency’s that want to kill mono crop producers.
            I could be wrong but everything is lining up that way.... .
            Problem is we are a North American country with a North American economy and a European leader and government. There is a reason our ancestors left that shithole and then we are trapped by the crap that forced us out years ago. I am all for regen ag if it makes sense to make profit and reduce inputs. We all can agree on that but powers that be have no clue to the point their mandates are more harmful to the environment and put many on the brink of starvation. It is all virtue signalling and appeasing a world based organization which is as corrupt and irrelevant as the IOC. I was never a Trump fan but I was in agreement on his actions toward it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...