• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Fertilizer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just on a side note happy starts an hr earlier today. It’s just that time of the year. I’ve got lots of room if some want to pop over. 🍺🥃🍻. No make masks either. 🤣🤣

Comment

[QUOTE=AlbertaFarmer5;521227]
      Originally posted by tweety View Post
      3. Everybody knows you can still grow an ok crop with 30 to 40 lbs of N - except farmers it seems.
      4. It's gonna be a wild ride, it is the 1 year in 10 when buying fert in the fall makes no sense.

Define an OK crop? Out here in the high rainfall area, I could grow 1/3 to 1/2 a crop with those rates. Fertilizer still the best ROI of any expense on the this farm.
      I'm going to bookmark this and refer back to your #4 next spring. If correct, will you consider offering a paid marketing service? I would sign up
      Good for you. What is it like not knowing what a drought even is?

For farmers who never got any rain, and never grew enough grain to fill their 11$ 2 year old canola contracts, it is a very different story. Its called survival now facing obscene shortages and ridiculous input costs.

Unlike you, many face the possibility of just as dry next year.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
        With such high input costs and dry conditions are you still taking out your hay fields?
        Will make that call this summer after making the hay. I have been flip flopping back and forth, and can’t decide 100% which way to go.

Maybe keeping the hay and buying cows is the best option, but wifey says that is a big fat no! Lol

Comment

SH IT storm a comin'...on top of Virus will KILL us!

October’s record UK gas market highs ignited fears that factories would need to shut this winter to guard against the financial blow of rocketing costs. The surge in prices is also likely to take its toll on Britain’s struggling energy supply market after the collapse of 24 suppliers in a little over 12 weeks and record hikes in home energy bills. The European Commission has reportedly put forward a voluntary system for EU countries to buy gas together to form strategic reserves to safeguard against a supply squeeze caused by a global surge in demand and lower

Europe’s Fertilizer Crisis Could Become a Food Crisis

The European Union is ill-suited to respond to soaring input costs before crunch time next spring. By: Francesco Casarotto

Last week, Romania’s largest producer of chemical fertilizers, Azomures, announced that it would temporary cut production amid rising energy prices. It is only the latest fertilizer firm in Europe to be forced to halt or reduce output recently. In September, several British firms, U.S.-based CF Industries, and Norway’s Yara – one of Europe’s largest ammonia producers, with annual output of 4 million to 9 million tons – took the plunge. So did Lithuania’s Achema, the Netherlands’ OCI Nitrogen, Spain’s Fertiberia, Austria’s Borealis AG and Germany’s BASF. All pointed to surging natural gas prices, and none has specified when full production will resume.

Given the strict link between natural gas prices – which are soaring across the Continent – and nitrogen-based fertilizer production, the EU is facing a fertilizer crisis that may turn into a food crisis. The bloc’s main problem is not production capacity – European producers supply 90 percent of the bloc’s needs – but acquiring affordable input materials. Of all the fertilizers used by Europe, 68 percent are nitrogen-based.

To limit the effects of the fertilizers crisis on crop yields, the issue must be resolved before the application of fertilizer on the spring crops, which typically occurs between February and April. For now, the EU views the fertilizer shortages as part of the larger problem of high gas prices, which also affects consumer electricity prices and energy for industrial production. But given its design, the EU lacks the institutional flexibility and capabilities to deal with an emergency of this nature, which demands a rapid response.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
            SH IT storm a comin'...on top of Virus will KILL us!

October’s record UK gas market highs ignited fears that factories would need to shut this winter to guard against the financial blow of rocketing costs. The surge in prices is also likely to take its toll on Britain’s struggling energy supply market after the collapse of 24 suppliers in a little over 12 weeks and record hikes in home energy bills. The European Commission has reportedly put forward a voluntary system for EU countries to buy gas together to form strategic reserves to safeguard against a supply squeeze caused by a global surge in demand and lower

Europe’s Fertilizer Crisis Could Become a Food Crisis

The European Union is ill-suited to respond to soaring input costs before crunch time next spring. By: Francesco Casarotto

Last week, Romania’s largest producer of chemical fertilizers, Azomures, announced that it would temporary cut production amid rising energy prices. It is only the latest fertilizer firm in Europe to be forced to halt or reduce output recently. In September, several British firms, U.S.-based CF Industries, and Norway’s Yara – one of Europe’s largest ammonia producers, with annual output of 4 million to 9 million tons – took the plunge. So did Lithuania’s Achema, the Netherlands’ OCI Nitrogen, Spain’s Fertiberia, Austria’s Borealis AG and Germany’s BASF. All pointed to surging natural gas prices, and none has specified when full production will resume.

Given the strict link between natural gas prices – which are soaring across the Continent – and nitrogen-based fertilizer production, the EU is facing a fertilizer crisis that may turn into a food crisis. The bloc’s main problem is not production capacity – European producers supply 90 percent of the bloc’s needs – but acquiring affordable input materials. Of all the fertilizers used by Europe, 68 percent are nitrogen-based.

To limit the effects of the fertilizers crisis on crop yields, the issue must be resolved before the application of fertilizer on the spring crops, which typically occurs between February and April. For now, the EU views the fertilizer shortages as part of the larger problem of high gas prices, which also affects consumer electricity prices and energy for industrial production. But given its design, the EU lacks the institutional flexibility and capabilities to deal with an emergency of this nature, which demands a rapid response.

When I read this my thoughts as global citizen that its not a good thing and food security is at stake. When I read this as a farmer my thoughts are that finally maybe the world will value what farmers produce. For too long society has been satisfied with just in time delivery and gave no thought to where food comes from and the need to maintain a sound agricultural system. The ramifications of the push to move away from fossil fuels in Europe has a very quick result. Here in Canada the energy policy has had such a negative effect on the oil and gas industry and turn around and rebuild is going to be extremely slow. If Europe cant access inputs on a timely manner and this affects agricultural output then what we grow in Canada will have more value. The onus is on us to get things in place to grow the crop. I am not suggesting to push beyond our normal production but supply of fert is not a concern here in the west at this point its price. We topped off a bin this week of 46 with a part load. The cost was $375 per tonne more than earlier in the fall. I was always led to believe that Europe supported their farmers more than most because food security was important and many knew hunger from the war years. If they have forgotten this and their green agenda creates a food shortage then it could get very interesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...