• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC floods.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Kinda like New Orleans, then all surprised when a hurricane hits and it’s a climate change disaster.
    Ya. I just looked up Sumas Prairie near Abbotsford which is a lake drained a hundred years ago and it’s elevation is 1m above sea level. I imagine flooding would be something you would prepare for……………

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
      Ya. I just looked up Sumas Prairie near Abbotsford which is a lake drained a hundred years ago and it’s elevation is 1m above sea level. I imagine flooding would be something you would prepare for……………
      If they looked at the cost to prepare for the flooding, maybe they would have realized it wasn't a good place to build 50 dairies and chicken barns.

While this is tragic, the catastrophe was made worse by people building there...

Maybe that's what they mean by man made climate change?????

Imagine if they had just left it as a surge plain for events like this with no human intervention???

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        If they looked at the cost to prepare for the flooding, maybe they would have realized it wasn't a good place to build 50 dairies and chicken barns.

While this is tragic, the catastrophe was made worse by people building there...

Imagine if they had just left it as a surge plain for events like this with no human intervention???

Very good description of “man made climate change”

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
          Many people are too ignorant to know a lot of things. Generally in the name of convenience. Look at dietary habits. Those are more risky than any location for building.

You want to crusade against the placement of metropolitan areas and their risk management strategies go ahead. Don’t be surprised when the rest of us tell you it’s not our problem though.
          True, we have been warning people about the risks of a poor diet and unhealthy lifestyles for a long time. But millions of people ignore the warnings and show little restraint.

But we require smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in bedrooms by code now.

Should we not also warn people and prepare for floods, forest fires, heat risks and other potential natural and climate disasters?

Would you put your barn or house next to a river that frequently floods or would you choose to put it on higher ground? Most people will choose higher ground. But some people will not unless the municipality zones against it.

When municipalities allow people to build in high risk flood zones we all pay the insurance bills, so its a problem for all of us.

Climate change and the increase in the severity and frequency of disasters has changed risk assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

Or properly protected the region with adequate flood dikes like they do in other parts of the world that are reclaimed land in flood plains.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Is this area not full of Dairy farms owned by Dutch farmers I think I see a pattern. Every pretty piece of land in this country almost always comes with a catch. Around here it's grasshoppers, drought and freezing to death.

Comment

Every place in the world a major river hits the ocean there is a city.

Floodplain is alwaus the most fertile and highest priced land.

Red River Valley

I live on very flat ancient lake bottom but good natural drainage around the yard.

If it rained 10+ inches in 2 days I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  True, we have been warning people about the risks of a poor diet and unhealthy lifestyles for a long time. But millions of people ignore the warnings and show little restraint.

But we require smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in bedrooms by code now.

Should we not also warn people and prepare for floods, forest fires, heat risks and other potential natural and climate disasters?

Would you put your barn or house next to a river that frequently floods or would you choose to put it on higher ground? Most people will choose higher ground. But some people will not unless the municipality zones against it.

When municipalities allow people to build in high risk flood zones we all pay the insurance bills, so its a problem for all of us.

Climate change and the increase in the severity and frequency of disasters has changed risk assessment.
                  Where do you propose people live then? A spaceship?

Just this summer there were all those smart people telling us maybe we shouldn’t be farming in such a dry area known for droughts. Then we wouldn’t be ****ed by a drought. And when farms are flooded, well they shouldn’t live where it rains and floods! And when we have to feed livestock for half the year, and pay for O&G to heat our homes, people say we should live somewhere more temperate and warmer. Do people in hot areas get told to move somewhere cooler so that they don’t spend so much energy on AC and have less water concerns and demands?

So where is the best place for all 8 billion of us to live risk free? Somewhere all grouped on 35^ latitude, but not along the oceans and water ways? With trees at least half a km away to prevent fire issues. We better build big wind breaks as well, wind causes lots of damage.

Comment

Yeah can you imagine someone diverting natural water flows and altering the natural landscape?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                      Where do you propose people live then? A spaceship?

Just this summer there were all those smart people telling us maybe we shouldn’t be farming in such a dry area known for droughts. Then we wouldn’t be ****ed by a drought. And when farms are flooded, well they shouldn’t live where it rains and floods! And when we have to feed livestock for half the year, and pay for O&G to heat our homes, people say we should live somewhere more temperate and warmer. Do people in hot areas get told to move somewhere cooler so that they don’t spend so much energy on AC and have less water concerns and demands?

So where is the best place for all 8 billion of us to live risk free? Somewhere all grouped on 35^ latitude, but not along the oceans and water ways? With trees at least half a km away to prevent fire issues. We better build big wind breaks as well, wind causes lots of damage.
                      Nobody is talking about eliminating all risk.

But we should build and upgrade our infrastructure so that it can with stand more flooding and climate change risks. Or do you think we should do nothing and ignore it?

Shouldn't we plan for the increase in the frequency of extreme weather events like flooding and heat waves to save lives and property?

What are you proposing as the correct way to move forward?

Comment

I farm lake bottom well it was lake bottom 10000 years ago guess that makes me guilty as the rest of them . Poor planning on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                          I farm lake bottom well it was lake bottom 10000 years ago guess that makes me guilty as the rest of them . Poor planning on my part.
                          Have you got an escape plan for flooding? Lol

Comment

I wonder how humorous a Dutch farmer would find this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              Nobody is talking about eliminating all risk.

But we should build and upgrade our infrastructure so that it can with stand more flooding and climate change risks. Or do you think we should do nothing and ignore it?

Shouldn't we plan for the increase in the frequency of extreme weather events like flooding and heat waves to save lives and property?

What are you proposing as the correct way to move forward?
                              Should part of that plan include easier access to O&G without increased money pressure so that we can afford to heat our homes in more extreme winter events?

I don’t feel that we need to “move forward”. Technologies evolve as required based on testing and implementation. The idea of picking an idea out of the air thinking it will work sounds like a make work project. Especially if one of those ideas is to move entire metropolitan areas somewhere else. Or maybe just jack up the skysc****rs onto stilts?

People will move when they absolutely have to move. No sooner than that.
                              Last edited by Blaithin; Nov 19, 2021, 10:18.

Comment

Oh no, I’ve been censored for my poor language 😂😂

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...