• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starlink

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    We had your link. Tower wasn’t too far away but a real poor service. Went to MCS which is based out of St Paul. Tower is only 4 miles away so service has been decent. I’ll support this localish business who has great customer service.
    Ya, as long as I can stand the streaming pauses I will avoid buying my self more work. For now....
    No coverage here yet anyway.
    Thank you everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      Ya, as long as I can stand the streaming pauses I will avoid buying my self more work. For now....
      No coverage here yet anyway.
      Thank you everyone.
      Starlink Coverage is good here Blackpowder…

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
        Starlink Coverage is good here Blackpowder…

Cheers
        👍. Good at Rosalind too but their site says not yet for this town.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
          Can you have 2nd dish set up and move receiver only.
          Can you have 2 locations set up on the family pac like many do with shaw etc. Mom pays the shot?
          The dish is the receiver/modem, it hands out a single CGNAT IP address. You can use the crappy starlink provided router or your own.

Only a single dish per account so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
            The dish is the receiver/modem, it hands out a single CGNAT IP address. You can use the crappy starlink provided router or your own.

agreed! Bet move I made was buying a top line router and replacing the provided one. Increased speed more than when I tried upgrading service.

Comment

Have had starlink for 1 year now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 8.20.46 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	772088

Comment

We are on Sask Tel internet through telephone line about 3/4 mile from tower in town.
                Won't go into all the trouble it was to get connected on farm.
                Connection speed out of sask tel modem/router says strong 65 Mbps. But if I use that Fast speed test it shows 22Mbs download.
                Far cry from the 310 that SF4 shows but doesn't seem to be choking us most of the time.
                If l install my own router can l expect better speed?

Comment

We are on Sask Tel internet through telephone line about 3/4 mile from tower in town.
                  Won't go into all the trouble it was to get connected on farm.
                  Connection speed out of sask tel modem/router says strong 65 Mbps. But if I use that Fast speed test it shows 22Mbs download.
                  Far cry from the 310 that SF4 shows but doesn't seem to be choking us most of the time.
                  If l install my own router can l expect better speed?
                  Each speed test site will give you different number and are sometimes optimized for the provider to make them look good. IE) Starlink and FAST.

If you have DSL (aka via Phone Line) and unlimited data via Sasktel, not much reason to worry about Starlink. It's the rest of rural Canada that are surviving on XploreNet satellite or a WISP that will get a life changing experience from Starlink.

Comment

What about the router?
                    Any benefit in adding a separate one?
                    Routinly have to go into connections on the phone and shut Wi-Fi of and on so it can find it?

Comment

Oh boy and then the fun starts.
                      Changing routers, using multiple routers. Security systems. Devices not finding or accepting IPs. Now try and find "come and get this mess to work" tech support. Which I know has little to do with the provider. But there's the rub.
                      We spend as much time on that crap as our forefathers did fetching water it feels like.

Comment

With any system direct either net cat 6 type is the fastest, most stable, reluable etc. Wifi is a speed killer

When ISP ( Internet service provider) does service or they are giving tech support they alwYs want you to direct connect to modem ( this rules out other equipment, issuethey cant control) so we should alway do the same.

When doing speed tests choose the city or server location that is closest and alwAys use thevsame one for speed consistancy testing

Comment

What about the router?
                          Any benefit in adding a separate one?
                          Routinly have to go into connections on the phone and shut Wi-Fi of and on so it can find it?
                          If you are just having wifi issues you can put in a better wifi access point and turn off wifi on the sasktel box. Most routers have a WIFI AP mode that can easily be turned on and won't give you a double NAT situation that full blown router mode would. You could also just leave wifi on the sasktel box and just point your devices to the new AP.

Something like this would work:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00116000

It has AP mode.

There is a way to get a public IP address assigned to your own personal router via the sasktel box, but it isn't something that I can easily describe for do it yourselfers.

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post
                            I've been running it for 11 months, mine has only gotten faster as time went on.
                            Are you at Coleville? I am hardly on here and forget whose who.

I am trying to order this for Lancer (south of eston on south side of river) and it says its not available for that area. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
                              Are you at Coleville? I am hardly on here and forget whose who.

I am trying to order this for Lancer (south of eston on south side of river) and it says its not available for that area. Thoughts?
                              Yes, a bit southeast of Coleville.

When I ordered mine they has some weird address app that wouldn't accept my yard location. I got frustrated just started randomly clicking around the area on their map, and happened to click on highway 21. The order site accepted that as a valid address and I haven't thought about it since.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...