• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inflation Hedge Action

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation Hedge Action

Given the risks and the volatility we are all facing and the action of the last two days in commodity markets, I suggest we need to look at the big picture of what may be at play.

We all are living the fact that inflation is running away. Yet those with money are looking at artificially low rates. The US 10yr note is only 1.57% this morning with the US 30yr bond at a mere 1.925. Yesterday’s US CPI was a whopping 6.2% year over year compared to the US Fed’s mandate of 2%. Theoretically that is leaving real rates of -4.2%, not very appealing to the wealthy.

Money managers can’t raise interest rates so the only thing they can do is try to hedge against the inflation. They can’t hedge against higher wages (for example) but they can hedge against higher commodity costs.

Following the CPI report Wednesday morning there was a flurry of buying across most commodities. Off the charts, buy signals throughout most commodity markets suggest much more of this type of action could be expected in the months to come.

It may seem too late considering the record highs we are seeing in crops grown in the drought of ’21 land areas - canola and oats in particular – but this is where I think we need an open mind.

Given our costs, is $5.50 corn expensive vs 8.40 nine years ago? Chicago wheat at $7.70 vs 13.30 thirteen years ago? Minneapolis wheat at $10.50 vs 24.20 in ’08? Soybeans at $12 vs 17.80 nine years ago? Crude oil at $80/barrel vs 145 thirteen years ago?

Some may think so but I believe there are many that think not and are willing to take long positions to hedge against runaway inflation.

What does that mean? Breaking up sales targets into small increments and rewarding rallies are my thoughts. But also being aware of the risks when selling in case of a repeat of ’21. Being conservative on DDC’s, maybe buying puts instead of selling futures to lock in profits, if selling futures or signing DDC’s, buying out of the money calls to limit upside risk, those sorts of strategies.

Just some big picture thoughts…

Originally posted by TechAnalyst View Post
    Given the risks and the volatility we are all facing and the action of the last two days in commodity markets, I suggest we need to look at the big picture of what may be at play.

We all are living the fact that inflation is running away. Yet those with money are looking at artificially low rates. The US 10yr note is only 1.57% this morning with the US 30yr bond at a mere 1.925. Yesterday’s US CPI was a whopping 6.2% year over year compared to the US Fed’s mandate of 2%. Theoretically that is leaving real rates of -4.2%, not very appealing to the wealthy.

Money managers can’t raise interest rates so the only thing they can do is try to hedge against the inflation. They can’t hedge against higher wages (for example) but they can hedge against higher commodity costs.

Following the CPI report Wednesday morning there was a flurry of buying across most commodities. Off the charts, buy signals throughout most commodity markets suggest much more of this type of action could be expected in the months to come.

It may seem too late considering the record highs we are seeing in crops grown in the drought of ’21 land areas - canola and oats in particular – but this is where I think we need an open mind.

Given our costs, is $5.50 corn expensive vs 8.40 nine years ago? Chicago wheat at $7.70 vs 13.30 thirteen years ago? Minneapolis wheat at $10.50 vs 24.20 in ’08? Soybeans at $12 vs 17.80 nine years ago? Crude oil at $80/barrel vs 145 thirteen years ago?

Some may think so but I believe there are many that think not and are willing to take long positions to hedge against runaway inflation.

What does that mean? Breaking up sales targets into small increments and rewarding rallies are my thoughts. But also being aware of the risks when selling in case of a repeat of ’21. Being conservative on DDC’s, maybe buying puts instead of selling futures to lock in profits, if selling futures or signing DDC’s, buying out of the money calls to limit upside risk, those sorts of strategies.

Just some big picture thoughts…
    Working with end users like Bunge to do 'Act of God' minimum price contracts... could be prudent risk management.

Raw naked futures postions, even options with high volatility cost... leave low ROI more often than not.

As usual most Farmers have inflation hedged with farm land... not many cash heavy and low debt... Gov reset on Debt; with Private Debt left outstanding... will be the temptation of the World Economic Forum... even though no-one will expose their obvious tactic... everyone else[but them] is responsible for the Fed Reserve and ECB/Central Bank sovereign debts. Obviously you dumb farmers... they ARE us!!!

Comment

Pondering owning physical Yuan as a hedge against my govt. If we are going to regulate everything, the least regulated and most subsidized is China. Don't want margin calls hence the physical.

Comment

Not trying to pick tops. We are 1/3 sold out, hope to have another 1/3 sold by xmas and the rest by april.

Worried about knock effects of the fed having to go after taming this monstrosity in the next year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...