• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoarding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoarding

World grain buyers are stocking up fearing a second short crop year. It is going to get really ugly.
    Last edited by agstar77; Nov 1, 2021, 17:06.

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
    World grain buyers are stocking up fearing a second short crop year. It is going to get really ugly.
    Is this a gut feeling, or is this documented as happening?
    It does feel that way, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate this.

Comment

Anyone know off hand how much commercial storage there is in Canada between elevators and ports and how much they can do hold on paper in farmers bins? Is it even enough to make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
        Anyone know off hand how much commercial storage there is in Canada between elevators and ports and how much they can do hold on paper in farmers bins? Is it even enough to make a difference?
        Supposedly, commercials don't speculate. So anything they have in storage is already priced.
        Not sure if that counts as hoarding.

Comment

I think hoarding is happening simply based on my own fear/planning. We live in a high fusarium area where for as long as I can remember we have sprayed with Prosaro or Carumba. We just spray every year. It is a very expensive fungicide and I am always tight cash flow wise. So this year we got Carumba delivered and as it got hotter and dryer we decided not to spray. We intended to return the chemical and told the retailer we intended to return
          but got busy with early harvest. When the retailer called to remind of us of the deadline we were seeing roundup already spiking in price. So we decided to keep the fungicide and use next year. I share this story simply to highlight the fear that is out there if me,a cash strapped farmer, is keeping a years worth of his most expensive application because I am worried it will either be unavailable or 30%-50% higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
            I think hoarding is happening simply based on my own fear/planning. We live in a high fusarium area where for as long as I can remember we have sprayed with Prosaro or Carumba. We just spray every year. It is a very expensive fungicide and I am always tight cash flow wise. So this year we got Carumba delivered and as it got hotter and dryer we decided not to spray. We intended to return the chemical and told the retailer we intended to return
            but got busy with early harvest. When the retailer called to remind of us of the deadline we were seeing roundup already spiking in price. So we decided to keep the fungicide and use next year. I share this story simply to highlight the fear that is out there if me,a cash strapped farmer, is keeping a years worth of his most expensive application because I am worried it will either be unavailable or 30%-50% higher.
            Here too, I'm keeping some wheat and barley over for emergency feed and seed that would normally be sold. Consequently that doesnt leave much to sell at these higher prices after filling contracts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...