• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Protein Wheat is in High Demand?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    The whole system starts on the backs of farmers and ranchers....Everyone else just keeps picking the meat off our bones.

We now have a system that depends on how many inputs you buy from the graincos to get delivery.
    I remember doing the Malt barley program for one grain company once and I was told there is 2 ways of getting your barley accepted for Malt.

1 - grow good quality barley year over year then even if you have a bad year we will accept it to keep you in the game.

2 - owe the grain company enough money they will accept your barley.

Comment

simple , lock the wheat bins
      they have fuked up their pre pricing gravy train , that shitshow is over for a while
      luck we have larry informing us of the real world prices

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Maybe this is why high protein wheat is suddenly in demand. Great reset proceeding.

Nearly 50 per cent of Canadians say they can’t afford meat
        https://ipolitics.ca/2021/09/30/nearly-50-per-cent-of-canadians-say-they-cant-afford-meat/
        Friends were at Costco.
        She said the roast beef she always buys for $20 was $45. She bought something else.
        No trickle down in beef anymore. Just packer greed.
        There is a reset happening alright.
        Windfall profits at the top of the chain.

Comment

Wife uses the Flipp app, search beef, usually Independent best price on good cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
            Friends were at Costco.
            She said the roast beef she always buys for $20 was $45. She bought something else.
            No trickle down in beef anymore. Just packer greed.
            There is a reset happening alright.
            Windfall profits at the top of the chain.
            Does it stop at packer? See some awful big feedlots being built they must be doing okay. Maybe it is just cow/calf guys that are behind.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
              I remember doing the Malt barley program for one grain company once and I was told there is 2 ways of getting your barley accepted for Malt.

1 - grow good quality barley year over year then even if you have a bad year we will accept it to keep you in the game.

2 - owe the grain company enough money they will accept your barley.
              I could add one more to that.

Conceal your actual location through the use of a broker.

Local malt growers have told me that our barley from this far west will be rejected most years just from the buyer looking at a map. But if they sell the same barley through a broker with no location being revealed, it the same barley will be accepted.

And in fairness, we often have poor germination from our short cool growing season.

Comment

Does it stop at packer? See some awful big feedlots being built they must be doing okay. Maybe it is just cow/calf guys that are behind.
                Pretty tough to have a feedlot and packing g industry without cow calf guys.

They are getting decimated.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Pretty tough to have a feedlot and packing g industry without cow calf guys.

They are getting decimated.
                  I'm with you. In the event of a massive wave of bankruptcies, Someone will pick up the pieces and continue to grain farm, and run feedlots. I don't see the same thing happening in cow calf, if the geriatric producers are forced out.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    I'm with you. In the event of a massive wave of bankruptcies, Someone will pick up the pieces and continue to grain farm, and run feedlots. I don't see the same thing happening in cow calf, if the geriatric producers are forced out.
                    Do our current 2 large packers care if the Canadian cow calf crop drops.
                    The feeders can import subsidized calves from south and they can always import enough beef from anouther production plant to supply the market.
                    They might pay higher prices for a short time till they adjust thier supply chain.

JMHO

Comment

Eastern Europe is dry like some of us in western canada. Still betting on them to fill the wheat void next summer?

Comment

Just found out that my number 1 and 2 hard red wheat has low falling number. They say its only feed now. They can be assured they won’t get any of my business now.

Comment

I bet you can guess which line company.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                            Just found out that my number 1 and 2 hard red wheat has low falling number. They say its only feed now. They can be assured they won’t get any of my business now.
                            Our falling number was so high it has to blended down. No excuse for feed.

Comment

Be interested in a little more detail on the new feedlots. Big money guys or farms/ranches diversifying?
                              Can't think of one feedlot built in Sask for at least 20 yrs. Some changed hands after trying to custom feed for the order buyers. Some just quit filling the pens.
                              Used to be most custom feed customers were individuals with chronic income tax problems.
                              Story now is packers own about all the cattle?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                                Be interested in a little more detail on the new feedlots. Big money guys or farms/ranches diversifying?
                                Can't think of one feedlot built in Sask for at least 20 yrs. Some changed hands after trying to custom feed for the order buyers. Some just quit filling the pens.
                                Used to be most custom feed customers were individuals with chronic income tax problems.
                                Story now is packers own about all the cattle?
                                Think there is 2 or 3 going in around Outlook area and a new 40,000 head going in by Enchant built by one farmer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...