• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch precision edge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

many moons ago we used morris gumbo boots, with fert deeper , they sure ripped the shit outta the seed bed . something to be said for a narrow little trench on the same plane
    it always grew but made you feel like jumping off a bridge when you were looking behind
    these atom jets are really good for that too

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      our morris tank you can do either by flipping a lever
      centre through the point is way better for us with a pointed packer, and a tenth really wets bottom of run where seed is
      flat packers might be different , friend has a flexi with paired row openers like us and rubber packers, he seeds paired all the time
      Have the 4” steel packers. Paired row probably better for those. Very center of trench gets packed pretty hard in the wrong conditions with the band in the very middle of the steel packer.

Comment

we usta seed out the side when we were mudding it in , but i don't think it helped
        side of trench would be rock hard
        and if no rain centre of trench would crack and let canola emerge
        but... there sure is an advantage to paired row

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
          So even though the AJ paired row looks very similar to dutch, they are considerably better on seed placement?

Does the 2060 follow the ground better than a 2050? Each section is independent of each other?
          Soil flow different between low drafts and AJs. Also angle to ground. Of tip and body. To be fair, I never tried low draft open bottoms, but still have same beak and wing.
          Sorry, never owned a 5000/2050.
          Came from a 5710 BG. Should have bought this one the day before I bought that one.
          Imagine a harrow. Each section attached to pull frame independently. Each section partial flex in middle.
          Corners like a harrow not a cultivator.
          Floats on soft ground like a harrows as well.
          Operator ran end wheel up on road bank on a broke slough and most openers stayed in ground lol.
          Poor mans precision. ?

Comment

we usta seed out the side when we were mudding it in , but i don't think it helped
            side of trench would be rock hard
            and if no rain centre of trench would crack and let canola emerge
            but... there sure is an advantage to paired row
            So what is the silver bullet? Or it is just pick your poison?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Soil flow different between low drafts and AJs. Also angle to ground. Of tip and body. To be fair, I never tried low draft open bottoms, but still have same beak and wing.
              Sorry, never owned a 5000/2050.
              Came from a 5710 BG. Should have bought this one the day before I bought that one.
              Imagine a harrow. Each section attached to pull frame independently. Each section partial flex in middle.
              Corners like a harrow not a cultivator.
              Floats on soft ground like a harrows as well.
              Operator ran end wheel up on road bank on a broke slough and most openers stayed in ground lol.
              Poor mans precision. ?
              Yeah that is interesting for sure. Kinda the best of both worlds. Wouldn't get the opener sinking in soft conditions like an independent, yet follows the ground better than a regular hoe drill.

Seems I had read about rock shafts bending on that model? Or is that just a case of guys putting them in places they shouldn't be? Have you had to deal with that?

Comment

So what is the silver bullet? Or it is just pick your poison?
                i like the narrow opener with single side
                these'll finish me off lol

Comment

i like the narrow opener with single side
                  these'll finish me off lol
                  Haha. Well if you have used them for 14-15 years and still like them, they must be good!

Comment

That is pretty impressive to get 350 lbs safely with that opener!
                    After this spring, I need to rethink everything I thought I knew about safety of fertilizer with seed.

Sod seeding canola into terrible conditions. New to me land, very old hay sod, clay, very compacted, no OM or litter on top, no fertilizer for years. So it needed a lot of fertilizer, the most I've ever applied, all through the double shoot Dutch precision openers. Which are probably the poorest choice for sod seeding at the best of times.

In really hard ground the spring shank ( as opposed to trip) Concord springs way back, the fertilizer point still penetrates, but the paired row at the back can be right out of the ground at times. And at that angle, and in those sod conditions, the furrow doesn't close well if at all.

It requires moisture to work. And it had just rained and more was in the forecast, so I persevered. In spite of that moisture, It was still far too dry to consider breaking up the sod and expecting canola to germinate after that.

A lot of seeds were falling into the open fertilizer trench with the fertilizer, and really deep. Almost made me sick looking at how much money I had just wasted.

And the seeds in that exposed narrow furrow, mixed with all that fertilizer, germinated immediately, and were out of the ground way ahead of those that were up on the ledge where they belonged, and virtually all seemed to survive, had excellent deep green color right away, compared to the rest that were starved for nutrients until the roots got down far enough.

Did it work because there was enough rain to leach the nutrients deeper right away? Or because it was open, so it wasn't so toxic? It goes against everything I've read on the subject.

Other sod seeded fields with much better conditions where the seed and fertilizer stayed where they belonged took much longer to germinate, more variable, slower to canopy over, and were later all year long.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 24, 2021, 23:18.

Comment

Soil type a big factor as to what you can get away with.
                      Try doing that in worn out gumbo.
                      And obviously soil moisture is another decider.
                      Over many years of seeding with the fertilizer in close proximity to the seed I think that between canola and wheat, wheat can show the most fert damage

Comment

Yeah that is interesting for sure. Kinda the best of both worlds. Wouldn't get the opener sinking in soft conditions like an independent, yet follows the ground better than a regular hoe drill.

Seems I had read about rock shafts bending on that model? Or is that just a case of guys putting them in places they shouldn't be? Have you had to deal with that?
                        I have been told of that as well. I do not know what that looks like if I was looking but was told you can't level it at all.
                        I believe it may result from either leaving something locked during fold out procedure or running one wing off the road during transport.
                        I bought the most cherry looking drill i could find and it works well. Neighbor retiring and has one for sale if you're looking.
                        When I was looking I saw a lot of crap.
                        I paid $95 for drill and tank. What the hell. When those chintzy packers start to give trouble I'll just sell the drill and get another.

Comment

I need to say, Thank God for a farming thread! Keeps the aholes quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                            I have been told of that as well. I do not know what that looks like if I was looking but was told you can't level it at all.
                            I believe it may result from either leaving something locked during fold out procedure or running one wing off the road during transport.
                            I bought the most cherry looking drill i could find and it works well. Neighbor retiring and has one for sale if you're looking.
                            When I was looking I saw a lot of crap.
                            I paid $95 for drill and tank. What the hell. When those chintzy packers start to give trouble I'll just sell the drill and get another.
                            I am not 100% sure which way to go yet, but sure PM me his number and maybe some info on the drill if you know anything about it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...