• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000 on strike at Deere today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10,000 on strike at Deere today

BBC just reports that 10,000 JD unionized workers went on strike today as they didn’t like the deal their union negotiated for them. With 11m job positions not filled in the US workforce we certainly have a big problem here Houston!!!

Supply chains breaking down!!!

China banning fertilizer sales…

Wow what a time to be a farmer!

Cheers

Agreed Tom. But fortunate to be a farmer where we are though.
    Imagine meeting payroll and monthly lease in a J.I.T business.

Comment

Just phucking perfect. One day strike probably equals months of delays.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
        BBC just reports that 10,000 JD unionized workers went on strike today as they didn’t like the deal their union negotiated for them. With 11m job positions not filled in the US workforce we certainly have a big problem here Houston!!!

Cheers
        https://www.rfdtv.com/story/44967459/deere-and-co-workers-go-on-strike-after-rejecting-contract
        The workers say they have given benefit concessions for years, now they want them back being that Deere is doing well financially. The Union had agreed to a 6 year deal that the membership rejected.

Looks legitimate to me!
        First time in 3 decades…
        Last edited by TOM4CWB; Oct 14, 2021, 10:15.

Comment

Look for lots of labor unrest going forward, for a variety of reasons, in industries everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrian Economics View Post
            Look for lots of labor unrest going forward, for a variety of reasons, in industries everywhere.
            Like the price of gas just to get to work?

Comment

Maybe time for us to go on a year long strike ..
              it’s deemed ok for everyone else

Comment

Making some phone calls today.

Some comments I heard:

Almost no glyphosate in the system.

Can't get Shell oil at all through one supplier who normally sells it.

Ran out of 15W40, back ordered for weeks.

Some oil products just not available at all right now.

Fuel up 6 cents per week, again.

Canola seed doesn't seem to be an issue. Some prices are better than last year at this time.

Watching combines sell at Tingleys today, 3 sold for almost double what we paid for almost the exact same machine in July.

Have had a number of breakdowns this fall. While I didn't like the price of the parts, I was grateful that everything was available, and almost all in stock at local dealer, or only a couple days away. Was prepared for the worst. Normally I'd grumble about the price, and look for other options, used, or machine shop, or aftermarket, this year, I thought it was prudent to reward the dealer and supply chain for keeping parts available. Can't complain they don't have what I need in an emergency, if I bypass them every other time.

There has been no farmland for sale for the past year. Finally one quarter of wet questionable land that really hasn't been farmed in the past. $200,000 more than the most recent sales of productive farmland. And not negotiable. And the crazy part is, I think that might look like a bargain soon.

2 Good productive quarters near Innisfail sold yesterday at over a million each.
                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 14, 2021, 12:59.

Comment

A crystal ball would be nice, or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

There has been no farmland for sale for the past year. Finally one quarter of wet questionable land that really hasn't been farmed in the past. $200,000 more than the most recent sales of productive farmland. And not negotiable. And the crazy part is, I think that might look like a bargain soon.

2 Good productive quarters near Innisfail sold yesterday at over a million each.
                    I was watching those quarters also, not to buy just trying to find some numbers to base another deal on. I talked to a realtor friend after, he said that wasnt enough for that land he thinks he could have got more privately?? He said they have sold lots of land this summer but have rarely made it to mls because they are getting 5 or 6 offers the day its listed sometimes over ask. How deep are these guys pockets? Would think half or less than half crops might make guys nervous, guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post

Cheers
                      Hmmmmm, if there wasn't a union there wouldn't be a strike. If one hates the job that much, quit! There are many opportunities to those that want to work, imo

Comment

Hasn't been any green paint on our farm for 50 years. Strike on, they will just raise the price of that green iron.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                          Hasn't been any green paint on our farm for 50 years. Strike on, they will just raise the price of that green iron.
                          I woulda bet on no green paint! U still drive around your yard perched up in one of those tractors the FU guys used to seem to like, that a lot of the CCF clannsmen imported from Russia years ago Aggie? 😉

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                            The last I hear the ceo of John Deere was making over 50 million a year !

750,000 for a Deere combine at the retail dealer seems more than reasonable !
                            That was funny.

Like, the tone you said it in was really funny.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Maybe time for us to go on a year long strike ..
                              it’s deemed ok for everyone else
                              Gee Focus on Sabbatical was NOT a goofy idea?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...