• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shatter resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shatter resistance

Have L230 Invigor standing ready to swath. Not familiar with it, but is said to have shatter resistance..
    Wet here now in, but forecast is dry. Would prefer to straight cut,and combine is ready worried might shatter before combining straight cut. Swathing safer if sun shines. What thots anyone?

As far as I know L230 is not pod shatter resistant. I grew some this year and left it stand as long as I could and the higher spots in the field we’re starting to shell a little when I swathed.
    I would swath it.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
      Have L230 Invigor standing ready to swath. Not familiar with it, but is said to have shatter resistance..
      Wet here now in, but forecast is dry. Would prefer to straight cut,and combine is ready worried might shatter before combining straight cut. Swathing safer if sun shines. What thots anyone?
      The shatter resistance hasnt held up as well this year as in the past. I think an extra operation might make it worse.

Maybe take it straight but at night?

Comment

L230 definitely not shatter resistance, if wet now it might be a good opportunity to swath before it gets dry again.

Comment

Hats off to anyone who can wait on anything at this time of year.

Comment

The worst shatter losses I've ever had is in l230. It just stood straight up waving in the wind and wasn't even close to dry when it shattered out in a big wind storm.
            But I would agree with jazz, the extra operation of swathing it and then trying to get it through a pickup might do more harm than just straight cutting it when it's wet.
            Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 14, 2021, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              The worst chapter losses I've ever had is in l230. It just stood straight up waving in the wind and wasn't even close to dry when it shattered out in a big wind storm.
              But I would agree with jazz, the extra operation of swapping it and then trying to get it through a pickup might do more harm than just Street cutting it when it's wet.
              Anyone else find that auto correct is really becoming a PITA more now than ever ?

Comment

Thanks all for thots, forecast here is good, but had a 2 inch rain. If ground dries will swath, if forecast favoorable. If not, will straight cut when tough, hopefully not wet. Assume no shatter resistance.
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Anyone else find that auto correct is really becoming a PITA more now than ever ?
                  Either that, or else there's just so much dust in my microphone that the poor thing can't hear anything I say. I will go and make some edits.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Either that, or else there's just so much dust in my microphone that the poor thing can't hear anything I say. I will go and make some edits.
                    I have to edit just about every time , need smaller fingers

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                      L233 is the pod shatter variety that replaced L230

Comment

sure was happy with pod shatter on L340 , anyone else ? good/bad?

Comment

Majority of our acres next year will be L340 with a little bit of L357, L356 and Pioneer 506.

Comment

Brevant 3010 didn't shatter. They fell right off the stem completely if not well knit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                              Majority of our acres next year will be L340 with a little bit of L357, L356 and Pioneer 506.
                              L357 is a longer season. More for irrigation is what’s said now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...