• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardens in Oct

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true Blathin , canola regrowth in fall is extremely hardy . Need a good -10, or sprayed a while ago
    Growth will be stunted but still there .
    Sprayed around bins and yard today , weed growth this past two weeks has been very unusual this fall.

Comment

Never seen this country so green this time of year.
      Not that we never had rain in the fall or big green super seeders.

Must have been the thin crop canopy and rain in august?

Comment

I think a lot is the drought stress. Caused the plants to drop seeds way earlier than normal. Plants in survival mode go to seed production mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
          I think a lot is the drought stress. Caused the plants to drop seeds way earlier than normal. Plants in survival mode go to seed production mode.
          I think a lot of the growth coming now didn't come from plants setting seed or poor combine settings, in my area there seems to be the same amount or even more growth near the hilltops vs the valleys, I think much of this growth is coming from seed which never germinated this spring or summer

Comment

Our garden is getting about done, still a few potatoes to dig. Mixed results there, a big crop but a lot of rotten ones this year. Too wet too long, lately.

She said yesterday that something has attacked the kale and is stripping it quickly. Kale is a good one because it will stay standing out there a long way into winter and still be good as ever. We find that kale shredded into the frying pan with oil, a dash of salt n vinegar, and a few tablespoons of diced garlic is a fantastic feed, maybe alongside a t-bone. Mm.

Last winter the deer found the kale and chewed it off down almost to the stump - nearly 2" diameter!!

Fall raspberries are nice, but not a big as usual for some reason.

It was a good summer for her garden and it takes good care of us, a result for her hours of hard work in keeping it clean. Quite a synergy, seems like my field work pays the bills and keeps the lights on, but her hands feed us.

We are blessed.

A small lake, Ontario scenery in October -
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall colours.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	771793

Comment

wow, beautiful pic!
              we picked the last cucumbers and tomatoes on tuesday , cleaned garden and worked . recieved a -8 frost that night , what a run !!!!!!!

Comment

Between birds, wind/heat shatter, reel shatter, and a few out the combine. I have about 1-2 volunteer peas coming per sq ft. They are now about 6-8" high and have some nice looking pink nodules on them, as we've yet to have a frost. Any extra nitrogen fixing is a bonus.

Comment

Name:	C3C7833B-38C0-4641-B48A-BBE47A90C8D3.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	771795
                  We had the same
                  Stuck a screwdriver in loosened ground
                  Pulled it out and root was 24” long
                  Miraculously it all came out in one piece ?
                  That’s a lot of growing in 5 weeks ?
                  Shows the challenges of mid row banding N in extreme drought
                  Roots going nowhere but straight down

Comment

Name:	EC05B61C-0578-443C-B437-A7E137904D7E.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	771796
                    Better pic

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      wow, beautiful pic!
                      we picked the last cucumbers and tomatoes on tuesday , cleaned garden and worked . recieved a -8 frost that night , what a run !!!!!!!
                      That pic was sent to me, I don't know where it was taken. Our colors are not that strong around here yet.

I did get one very similar to that some years ago when we were moose hunting up on the Ogoki River, northern Ontario. The morning we packed up our boat and canoes to head home it was perfectly still and the trees along the river were perfectly reflected on the water. Just made you want to sit there and take it all in for a very long time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...