• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, another warm week has gone by and we have another week of nice weather ahead. But then maybe a snow event for Sask. This weekend Manitoba might get a drink.

The last day of custom harvesting will happen today its oats so will be an easy end-of-season run.

So here is the crop Report.

99% are done harvesting.

The only guy who will probably be in a claim position for crop insurance is the organic farmer. Maybe a bushel an acre of flax that's it. Is organic worth it if you're paying the same as the other guys in the area for rent. Yes, I guess if crop insurance covers the rent cost. I have never been sold on organic because I find it a joke. Chemicals Seeds, seed treatments, and fertilizers have given us a crop in 2021. We grew a crop on 3 inches of rain from April till June. Yes, direct seeding vs tillage did work this year for sure. Farmers move ahead and adapt some areas it still pays to till others it doesn't. Yes, it rains usually more on the east side and north.

So on the farm, everyone is busy cleaning fields up with backhoes track hoes payloaders cats, and pull dozers, most have harrowed or vertical tilled all sloughs. Some fall spraying is finishing up since it hasn't frozen yet. We did try the new Degelman Straw master X with discs and were impressed at the job it does. Thinking about it because you can drop discs on the go so might ve time in the fall. Rock picking and root picking and cleaning up every slough that was created in the flood years is happening this fall.

Funny thing as I was picking stones yesterday in shorts and a T-shirt I thought about what my fathers said. Some years in fall you have a nice open fall to get everything done that you wished and then some. Some years it's a fight from Sept first on and some years in Early October it ends and that's it till spring. Climate retards will be out in full force as the drought is a one in a million. No, the last one was back in 2002 and before that 1988 and 1961 and the thirties. But if you are a spoon-fed moron living in the cities with an attention span of 3 min you miss out on all the things that nature offers and takes. I still remember helping build the addition on our farmhouse way back and it was started and completed before the winter snow.

Yes, this season was different but no different than 15 years of rain.

So I for one am very thankful this fall for what we have after a very hot dry summer. I swore lots at the sky looking for rain that never came but it did finally come in August with 5 inches that will help with 2022. Is it still dry you bet but we have a fighting shot at next year. It will snow and blow and be cold as the artic but come spring we will do it all over again and hope and pray it's better than t this year.

Happy thanksgiving to all this is the first time since I have been married we will sit down with both families once on Saturday and then Sunday for a day of relaxation with family and friends. We always celebrate USA thanksgiving. because that's when we're usuaully done.

Happy Thanks Giving.

Degelman heavy harrow

Straw master X

Lake bottom hasn’t been seeded since 1988.

Comment

Organic farming is a niche market but if everone did it at least a third of our world would starve to death.This year shows that even though production has increased so has consumption will be a long time now before there is a global glut of grains again.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving Saskfarmer. Thanks for the knowledgeable weekly updates!
        Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        Degelman heavy harrow

Straw master X

Lake bottom hasn’t been seeded since 1988.

Comment

One of my highlights of the week. Thanks SF3

Comment

But if you pick all the rocks what keeps the soil from blowing? L.O.l.

Comment

Where did you find enough straw in the harrow?
              We never harrowed any thing this yr.
              It was just dust behind the combines in all crops..

Comment

Subsoil moisture from previous years made a huge difference in crops even with low rainfall

Comment

SF3, do you know the difference in h.p. requirement between the strawmaster and the coulter harrow?

Comment

I will agree, thanks for bringing Ag back to Agriville. The one weekly submission that deserves recognition. Thanks Saskfarmer!!!
                    Its is more informative than the whole Western Producer.
                    Not much harrowing going on around our area, we are hoping to leave as much straw as possible to catch the snow. Fertilizer buying is at a standstill, we normally buy in October but it can’t get much higher than it us right now. We will play in the dryed up potholes till we get tired of it or the snow flies. Hopefully they are full next year.

Comment

How old is that 7000 Strawmaster, same as ours, 22 years ZERO repairs. Simple strong

Comment

That straw master the boys rebuilt new harrows tines with carbide and redid bearings jacks etc. Cheap unit and still does what it should

Comment

This works to keep food hot for up to four hours and the yetti keeps all things cool for hours

Comment

Rebuilt our Bourgault this spring.
                            Those new ones with 7 rows look interesting but can't justify it.
                            Avadex to go on next week.
                            Maybe a couple more sloughs when get Landoll back. No matter how hard the 80 year olds kie yie and snipe from the road, it still costs $$ to reclaim an acre you farm 2 years in 20. Claiming back edges, sure. My sprayer on notice to keep the willows hammered.
                            Help all gone for season.
                            Scheming and dealing season here lol.
                            Rents up next year for some.
                            Agri-trade in a month!

Comment

Our last piece of the puzzle here for us
                              No corn silage this year so we are swathing it down and a friend of ours is going to bale it up
                              Plots were very interesting this year. Significant differences between varieties.
                              Should make excellent bales and feed ....

Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 7, 2021, 09:55.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...