• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tarping trailers for short haul

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tarping trailers for short haul

When do you guys start tarping? My furthest haul is 6 miles and I usually tarp but not always. I get up to 90 km for 1 mile but there are 3 corners and 2 rough set of railroad tracks so its pretty slow.

From my bin site to elevator is 2 miles of gravel and I travel 50 km/hr max loaded.

Am I losing grain? I have a bad shoulder and the tarp is a bitch but maybe I have to buy a power tarp?

As far as I know, every item that isn't properly secured can be fined separately.

If You ever get stopped while hauling a load of canola, insist that they count the number of loose items.
    How Do you get the tarp to close when you are hauling from the combine?
    I find that the grain being heaped up two feet above the box makes it difficult to close the tarp.
    Although I suppose that the loose load would be the least of my problems if I get stopped.

Comment

Always tarped loaded and empty, except when I am on my property going from fields to bin yard. Would be interesting to put a wireless wifi camera up there and watch it at highway speeds to see what happens with the tarp open.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
        When do you guys start tarping? My furthest haul is 6 miles and I usually tarp but not always. I get up to 90 km for 1 mile but there are 3 corners and 2 rough set of railroad tracks so its pretty slow.

From my bin site to elevator is 2 miles of gravel and I travel 50 km/hr max loaded.

Am I losing grain? I have a bad shoulder and the tarp is a bitch but maybe I have to buy a power tarp?
        Would you want an untarped truck full of resistant weed seeds drive past your field? A power tarp costs less than chemicals and lost yield for a start.

Comment

Canola tarped all the time. Wheat usually never do when hauling to yard. But 3 miles is our furthest and never in a rush.

Comment

Electric tarp.
            Always cover the load..

Comment

Everything gets tarped, its crazy how much blows off when your moving. Weeds and lost bushels, get off your lazy but and crank that handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post

We put electric tarps on every truck, mostly to save shoulder injuries and since we did we tarp every load, every time regardless of distance.
                Once you put them on you’ll not what you did without them.
                We also put power chutes with remotes on every truck, the combination is a bit expensive but WOW does it make trucking easy!!

Comment

Get yourself a couple gas pot grain trucks... even if you hold the peddle against the radiator you never get up to speed!

That said. Mustard is always tarped, coarse grains depend on distance.

Comment

Tarps aren’t effective all the time…………

This is from yesterday and it’s the third rollover within three miles of each other this month on the highway beside us. It’s the most perfect spread pattern when they put the shiny side down at a 100 kph too. I bet the DOT’s and county mounties will be crawling all over us hauling grain and bales home now. There’s a common theme with each trucks driver and I’ll leave that to your imagination………….

Every load is tarped here but the closest field is 5 miles. Way easier cranking a tarp than throwing straps over bales.🍀

Comment

If you're hauling canola in a cross wind it won't take many trips to pay for a good tarp.

Comment

Remember the day a trucker pulled under a loadout at elevator and said let her rip. They used radios because you could not see the loading area. Did you know a leg holds about 200 bu from the time the trucker realized he hadn't rolled his tarp back to the time they got it shut off !!!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...