• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Canola Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Canola Varieties

Some of these new Invigour varieties seem to be a bust this year. We ran out of L233 and had to put in a few acres of the L345 in the same field. The 345 is all shelled out way before the 233.

Neighbor put in some other variety 357 - never heard of it. Totally crapped the bed. Half the yields of the 233 and stayed green much longer.

Not sure where these breeding programs are going. They are breeding out the good qualities from L233 for what looks to be a worse product.

L345 all shelled out here. L357 regrew so bad had to quit trying to combine, had to shovel cap out of the trailer every load. L357 used up most of the rain we got.

Comment

All good question for the canola commissions since ether are so concerned with farmers issues now?

Maybe the board could issue a press release about the concerns of farmers???

Making a good product worse and charging more without any recourse???

Comment

I was really impressed with L340
        Anyone else ?

Comment

On our farm this year nothing impressed me.

Comment

I still think 5440 was the best one they had and nothing since has been as good.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              I was really impressed with L340
              Anyone else ?
              Was top yield of the seed plot at Kinderlsey.

Comment

We grew quite a few Invigor varieties. 233P was the best by far. Worst was a Liberty tolerant Proven 660 that looked good but had bad pod drop. Was sold to me as a straight cut but should have swathed it.

Comment

Does anyone know why
                  https://canolaperformancetrials.ca/ don’t seem to put any effort into the trial data anymore? At one point several years ago they seemed to have some pretty good information but it hasn’t been worth visiting lately.

Don’t our checkoff $ go to fund this kind of thing?
                  If you visit the website you find a real half azzed performance on the part of whoever organizes these trials. No decent varieties, few locations in the trial ect.

Comment

DKL 7565, a bushel off top guys, ZERO regrowth, non shatter, stands. But they cancelling it for IMPROVED CRAP. Two passes, still clean, Invigor stubble mostly a GREEN weedy mess, regrowth, oh boy for a bushel...greed

Comment

Originally posted by workboots View Post
                      Does anyone know why
                      https://canolaperformancetrials.ca/ don’t seem to put any effort into the trial data anymore? At one point several years ago they seemed to have some pretty good information but it hasn’t been worth visiting lately.

Don’t our checkoff $ go to fund this kind of thing?
                      If you visit the website you find a real half azzed performance on the part of whoever organizes these trials. No decent varieties, few locations in the trial ect.
                      yes, canola check-off organizations are the major funders that keep the canola performance trials going. the varieties included are submitted by the seed companies, which does limit what's included. in order to keep costs down the sites are kept to the minimum required to generate the needed statistics, and in the end it means not every community will have a trial site, but there should be comparison site data available.

Don't hesitate to contact any of the provincial canola groups directly if you have any questions.

Ward Toma, General Manager
                      Alberta Canola

Comment

Better yet get your checkoff back and do your own trial….

Comment

We keep samples of our canola seed after noticing poor vigor on one lot a couple years ago. This year i sent one sample away after i suspected poor vigor and it came back only 63% while germ in the 90s.As far as i can find out there is no set standard for vigor. For the next crop i will be finding out vigor before we buy. Probably will be no use. Perhaps commissions can look at that. Im suspecting 2 year old seed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                            We grew quite a few Invigor varieties. 233P was the best by far. Worst was a Liberty tolerant Proven 660 that looked good but had bad pod drop. Was sold to me as a straight cut but should have swathed it.
                            We had the same sold to us a couple years ago as a straight cut variety also, luckily the Pioneer seed guy was out one day and we were discussing this canola, he said proven bought some Pioneer varieties and they are not straight cut canola. We questioned Proven on it and then admitted it might be better to swath it, so we did, but it still didn’t come close to the 252 we had that year.

In the fight for seed acres they will tell us anything to make a sale!!!

Comment

The other factor in vigor is what they refer to as contra seed grown in the southern hemisphere.
                              New varieties multiply twice as fast if the get two seasons.
                              You whould think they might be concerned about less than best performance in the first season of a new variety but must figure the pump has more influence than the prefomance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...