• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Price

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
    Did you sell cash buy paper?
    Nope. Bought oil stocks in November. And the DXY in January.

Still don’t think I will ever hold physical canola over the winter again.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Nope. Bought oil stocks in November. And the DXY in January.

Still don’t think I will ever hold physical canola over the winter again.
      Hard to hit control alt delete on the memory banks of that bin.
      If you took equal value to your canola; it was still a hedge and you're ahead of the game.

Best,

L

Comment

Being lazy paid off , still have some wheat to sell ,canola not so much 25$ cleaned me out. But look at the price of stuff , to the moon , bought a 30 ft . CCIL swather 1972 for 6000$ new sold it 3 years later
        For 9600$
        This is a repeat of then .new grain auger that neighbor snagged for 12, few years ago is now 20 , and new stock is 27.
        God help those on a fixed income.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Sold 2/3 of my canola today for $19 and change.

Not fcking around with this. Canola can be drawn down by the larger macro elements more than supply demand complex right now.

World is too interlinked now. China and US slowdown.
          virtually every trade made since then has been a loosing one if you measure it against the current price.

What gets lost in the whole discussion is if the trade made a profit and you use that profit to improve your business. If you sold 19 canola and bought 600 urea i suggest you actually made more money than storing canola and holding all that risk.

There are many ways to reown with paper and that can be very lucrative as well but requires at least 2 more tough decisions, what and when to buy/sell and when to lift that hedge. Also putting on stop losses has been fraught with difficulties as well given current volatility. Lifting it too early or too late will cause as much emotional turmoil as the initial decision to sell canola, maybe even more. speaking from experience here.

make the decision, take notes why and move on. revisit your decision at a later date and evaluate and learn.

Comment

Or you took the Cash Advance in Fall bought 600 urea and then sold your canola in February for $26.85 instead of 19 who made more money. Just asking for a friend.

Selling early just fed them and that's why they didn't want the actual yields known early.

Comment

What is also sad is I am hearing there is still some $12-16 canola being delivered to the crushers....ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Or you took the Cash Advance in Fall bought 600 urea and then sold your canola in February for $26.85 instead of 19 who made more money. Just asking for a friend.

Selling early just fed them and that's why they didn't want the actual yields known early.
                When was $600 urea available? I bought over a month before harvesting any canola started, and it was already well above that price range. And when it was supposedly lower, no one could even offer a price.

Comment

Ask partners

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
                    What is also sad is I am hearing there is still some $12-16 canola being delivered to the crushers....ouch.
                    Yes we had 2 quarters of hi acid at $14 , lots here , ouch is right

Comment

I know a paid marketing service that was telling its customers to start pricing new crop canola in Dec 2020 for $11

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...