• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMO Wheat Trials in UK

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMO Wheat Trials in UK

I’m not anti GMO by any means. I’m not a huge fan of the focus on chemical resistant varieties but the technology and knowledge overall has a lot of potential in my mind.

Cue the UK.

Being in the EU the UK has been strictly non GMO but since Brexit the doors have opened and they’re set to begin their first GMO wheat trials.

What has the wheat been modified to do?

Be less carcinogenic!

I can’t imagine how the full frontal GMO haters will manage this. Their heads may explode. GMOs are supposed to cause cancer, not reduce the risk!

Here’s an article and it’s very interesting. Although now I’m sad about bread again. Someone needs to develop a carb free wheat next….

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gene-edited-wheat-toast-cancer-b1912796.html

…Could wheat still be wheat if it had no carbs? 😂

There is RR wheat in Canada.

Comment

Better there than here. Does not sound like a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
        Better there than here. Does not sound like a winner.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	clown-face_1f921.png
Views:	9
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	771471.

Comment

Don’t need rr wheat. It’s already a pain for volunteering. I like the idea of making it healthier by genetic modification though. I gave my aunt a bushel of my wheat and she made flour from it. Bran germ and endosperm altogether, and it makes great bread. Most if not all wheat is milled multiple times to extract every last bit of flour while the germ and brand are separated because germ will go rancid quickly and bran isn’t ideal for certain applications. The flour we buy thus lacks the goodness of the germ and bran. Makes me wonder if that isn’t the reason why there are health problems associated with eating wheat based products because we aren’t getting the whole grain.

Comment

One thing I know is that the Facebook moms would not be happy with GMO wheat. The only people with something to gain is the ones selling you the seed and the ones suing your ass for illegally growing it. The year we started growing GMO canola the market tanked and the companies pushing it should of been held liable for our lost sales to Europe. If China wouldn’t of started buying our canola it would of been game over for canola in Canada. I just can’t wait to be paying $100/ac for seed wheat.

Comment

Thot it was just Hybrid wheat that was coming first. Had it back in the eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post

What has the wheat been modified to do?

Be less carcinogenic!

I can’t imagine how the full frontal GMO haters will manage this. Their heads may explode. GMOs are supposed to cause cancer, not reduce the risk!
                I'm not sure it's really a health issue for Anti GMO mindset. Combination of fear of the unknown and lack of trust in the system. ( I'm sure backroom money always at play too)

Look at the story of GMO Golden Rice that produces Vitamin A, would help an array of health problems in poor countries. Not sure what the current status is but has been blocked for years both in the west and where needed.

Comment

The english estates have been raping the land for centuries, they need gmo to beat resistant weeds

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5m53dn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	771475

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                      I'm not sure it's really a health issue for Anti GMO mindset. Combination of fear of the unknown and lack of trust in the system. ( I'm sure backroom money always at play too)

Look at the story of GMO Golden Rice that produces Vitamin A, would help an array of health problems in poor countries. Not sure what the current status is but has been blocked for years both in the west and where needed.
                      Most people seem to think GMO means drowned in chemicals (see some responses here) and the Facebook moms figure drowned in glyphosate means cancer. And what’s that B1 gene or whatever in corn they are convinced is cancer causing.

They can’t wrap their heads around GMO just for drought or yield let alone less cancer risk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...