• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservative gov and agriculture?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Prove to me that all of those support payments don't just get bid into land rental rates, and land costs, leaving the farmer exactly the same place he( she) started out, except turning over larger sums of money.

And considering that all of those governments are bankrupt in every way except reality, don't budget on those supports being sustainable for the long term.
    Fair comments but then why did the liberals have to spend half a trillion for the average Canadian ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      Prove to me that all of those support payments don't just get bid into land rental rates, and land costs, leaving the farmer exactly the same place he( she) started out, except turning over larger sums of money.

And considering that all of those governments are bankrupt in every way except reality, don't budget on those supports being sustainable for the long term.
      That argument is so lame it isn’t funny it’s
      Why farmers are looked at as dumb to be honest.
      Do you see any other profession asking for a lower
      Wage so that their expenses go down???
      Get real! That’s an old conservative line justifying
      Not making an effective program. It truly is!! I had
      A buddy work in the conservative ag team and
      That was the exact line they wanted to get out
      To farmers.

Our province has a golden opportunity to get back
      The equalization through the 60/40 split offered
      By the feds but hey won’t too stupid to do math
      And don’t want to admit the liberals would help when
      The conservatives won’t. Then come year end
      Oh me oh my we re broke and they are actually broke
      Right now but they ll be admitting it then with a
      Finger up their asses wondering what to do.

If you don’t understand how much we put into
      The economy compared to get back you ain’t doing
      The books on your farm.
      Last edited by the big wheel; Sep 6, 2021, 17:04.

Comment

I’d be fine with no money.

Just stop trying to regulate and tax farms out of existence. And that’s applicable to any party.

Comment

I can get good coverage on crops through crop ins. on the grain side but the cattle side your pretty much on your own. That's why you see pasture torn up for crop when it should be left alone. Most fed MPS I think don't like cows.

Comment

https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/farmland-insider-grundy-county-iowa-land-fetches-22600-per-acre

Iowa farmland at over $22k acre.
            Basicly says higher the prices go the more likely investors are the buyers.

https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/highest-farm-income-in-eight-years-but-one-third-comes-from-government

This one says subsidies were more than $45 billion possibly near 1/2 of net income. Numbers a little fuzzy there.
            Inputs went up $26 billion.

I don't think you will find a similar accounting of Canadian numbers on one page.

OMHO the more government involvement the more we move to Corprate only and the less chance of any new or legacy farms unless parents are able to start them on third base.
            Near me most all are 2nd gen or less. Viable commercial family run farms with good cash flo.
            Last edited by shtferbrains; Sep 6, 2021, 17:52.

Comment

Government policy is dictating the future of farms. If you don't support farmers then then they leave. The corporate farms will thrive with TFWs until shit hits the fan again and then they will also ask for help...No different than Dofasco or Algoma or Air Canada ...but the bail out will be considerably larger than just helping out the existing farms.

What happens in a year when the slaughterhouses start laying shifts off because there are no cattle to slaughter?

What happens when the graincos start laying people off because the grain is gone.

Same goes for the railways and they are more than happy to ask for an increase in freight rates and they will get it.

While not getting government help is a noble objective, people had better wake up that globally every country takes some interest in their farmers. If working off the farm to get ahead appeals to you and its a good thing then the same could be said for the millions that would have been without work when the pandemic hit instead of getting half a trillion in aid from the Trudeau government.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/farmland-insider-grundy-county-iowa-land-fetches-22600-per-acre

Iowa farmland at over $22k acre.
                Basicly says higher the prices go the more likely investors are the buyers.

https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/highest-farm-income-in-eight-years-but-one-third-comes-from-government

This one says subsidies were more than $45 billion possibly near 1/2 of net income. Numbers a little fuzzy there.
                Inputs went up $26 billion.

I don't think you will find a similar accounting of Canadian numbers on one page.

OMHO the more government involvement the more we move to Corprate only and the less chance of any new or legacy farms unless parents are able to start them on third base.
                Near me most all are 2nd gen or less. Viable commercial family run farms with good cash flo.
                Everything is in context they want the land for
                More than farming 350 million people want it?

Another bull Shit to xcuse. Smaller farms
                Need help the corporates are here and will
                Thrive with it without this payout because
                Of money Fromm other sources. This is about saving
                What’s left of family farms.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Government policy is dictating the future of farms. If you don't support farmers then then they leave. The corporate farms will thrive with TFWs until shit hits the fan again and then they will also ask for help...No different than Dofasco or Algoma or Air Canada ...but the bail out will be considerably larger than just helping out the existing farms.

What happens in a year when the slaughterhouses start laying shifts off because there are no cattle to slaughter?

What happens when the graincos start laying people off because the grain is gone.

Same goes for the railways and they are more than happy to ask for an increase in freight rates and they will get it.

While not getting government help is a noble objective, people had better wake up that globally every country takes some interest in their farmers. If working off the farm to get ahead appeals to you and its a good thing then the same could be said for the millions that would have been without work when the pandemic hit instead of getting half a trillion in aid from the Trudeau government.
                  You’ll know the answer to that one in the next couple of months. I’m sure it’ll start with posts popping up about decreased hours and throttled deliveries.

Comment

They all can't load 100 car units all season long.
                    Might be some consideration for retaining experienced employees under current government screwed up labour situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                      I can get good coverage on crops through crop ins. on the grain side but the cattle side your pretty much on your own. That's why you see pasture torn up for crop when it should be left alone. Most fed MPS I think don't like cows.
                      I think Beef might get some reprieve if Mr Treudau gets the boot.
                      I'm sure he sees beef as the new coal.

Can't see significant support of any kind coming from anyone for primary producers.
                      Packers will be crying as soon as they have to reduce output due to lack of cattle supply.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                        I think Beef might get some reprieve if Mr Treudau gets the boot.
                        I'm sure he sees beef as the new coal.

Can't see significant support of any kind coming from anyone for primary producers.
                        Packers will be crying as soon as they have to reduce output due to lack of cattle supply.
                        The packers seem content to kill the golden goose with how the value of the carcass is currently dribbling down the production chain IMHO.

Becoming much harder to justify cows instead of canola/cereals…………..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...