• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suns out

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Hail or wind for 15 min can take crop literally out of your hands

Ahhhh , farming is so easy ...... 👎👎
    You mean like this??? Today at 4pm. Wow mother nature is pissed at me. Half crop hailed mid June, the other half today, and drought in between. Financially either way we are in a crop ins claim position so maybe no difference but mentally what a toll. After the inch and a half rain we got the last 2 weeks everything greener up and looked nice, some hay coming back for fall pasture, trees started to look healthy again and now this crap. Not even enough left to salvage feed. And 2 inches of ice and 5 degrees as the clouds clear and the sun goes down so likely freeze good tonight too.

Incidentally only got one quarter combined, was about 40% of normal at Didsbury. North around Olds I'm hearing more like 85 to 90% of normal so varies a lot but typically we are a high producing, never fail area for what it's worth.

Comment

Wow but the bright side (if there is one) you wont have to buy any high priced parts and little carbon tax !!

Comment

The Boss Lady creeping back to the cart in the rain. Back to waiting!

Comment

Ahhh but farmers going to make record profits this year . On that news all inputs went way up
          Thanks ag industry 👎👎👎

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Ahhh but farmers going to make record profits this year . On that news all inputs went way up
            Thanks ag industry 👎👎👎
            Nutrien texted me this afternoon, and says Phos is going up $20/mt tomorrow. Fuucking stupid. I said no I am not buying.

Comment

Mother Nature has definitely been tough on you this year GDR.

Hopefully insurance helps, but tough to see.

As farmers we put it all on the line when it comes to dealing with Mother Nature.

Comment

One thing I've learned over the years in this business is to really cherish the good days.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
                  One thing I've learned over the years in this business is to really cherish the good days.
                  Those days we don't seem to know that, history tells you later they WERE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Comment

NO sun this morning YET!!!.
                    Very heavy fog then at 9.30 am another 1/2" of rain and 15 min of pea to quarter size hail then at 10.30 another tenth or 2 of rain.
                    No wind with the hail and the crops were soaked through so shouldn't be as much damage as it could have been!!!!
                    Some pics I got of non invigor standing canola looks like 80% shelled out.
                    Area has got 1.5" to over 3" rain in the last 24 hours and an inch to 1.5" over the previous 2 weeks.
                    Now we need HEAT and a good breeze!!!
                    Lots of cereals will be bleached and sprouting could be real bad if the heavy fogs keep up till 11am each morning!!!
                    Barley had already lost a couple # bushel weight with the last rains.
                    LOTS of weeds and volunteers started growing so lots of guys will be using up any lower price glyphosate they had leftover!!

Comment

Over the years I've noticed that bearded wheat can handle hail better.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                        Over the years I've noticed that bearded wheat can handle hail better.
                        Interesting observation. I've only ever grown bearded, so can't compare, but one of the main reasons I grow a lot of wheat acres in a traditional barley growing area, is the wheat's vastly superior resistance to haul, here in the western end of the Alberta hail belt.
                        As in 90% damage to barley equates to 10% damage in wheat side by side.
                        I'd rather suffer the consequences of trying to harvest a long season crop in a short season climate, than have nothing left to harvest from the inevitable hail and excess rain.

Comment

My condolences on the hail GDR
                          I watched that storm from old yesterday, looked big and nasty.
                          If it is any consolation, we had the pleasure of losing a crop twice in one year in 2013. Almost completely hailed out at the beginning of August.
                          Everything regrew and was looking really good, close to being mature enough to make grain. when we got snow and killing Frost in early September. Ended up billing almost all of the barley, combining canola that had more greens and pepper than good seed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...