• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattlemen - have you realized the saskparty doesnt care?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Tell that to the guys selling cows...because the disaster relief wasn't responsive.
    I stuck my neck out and bought 40k worth of hay to get through this winter. On top of what I am currently making in the field, which is 10-25% of normal.

Would government funds, particularly with the 18k worth of frieght on it, be helpful, sure.

But I won't bet the farm that it happens. The calf cheque will cover it if it doesn't.

If some people need government assistance to make it, the drought didn't end their operation; it was just the tipping point of an already questionable liquidity position.

Comment

Exactly...And why not Bulls being covered? You can't have bred cows without bulls. I guess governments haven't learned that yet...even with all their phucking around.

Herd reductions mean less bulls needed next year...puts a hurt on the purebred guys that help maintain the quality in our herds.
      Looks to me provincial government threw it in crop insurances lap and said handle this.Since when have any of you talked to a crop insurance person that knew anything about cattle,?

Comment

Herd reductions mean less bulls needed next year...puts a hurt on the purebred guys that help maintain the quality in our herds.
        Hard to say but I bet bulls will be pricey next year. Purebred guys may keep less due to feed costs while lots of guys will take the opportunity to not feed their older bulls over the winter. Personally 3 out of 4 bulls are going on a one way trip to town and will need replacing.

Comment

I don’t think the 200 is for stopping bankruptcies I think it’s so we don’t sell off 60% of the breeding animals, the 200 will definitely help a lot of ranchers but isn’t nearly enough for the guys that have been seriously dry the last few years.

Comment

For every 1000 cows sold that's 35 less bulls required.

Comment

For every 1000 cows sold that's 35 less bulls required.
              I have lower expectations for my bulls that you do of yours………….
              Maybe my black ones are a little lazier😉

P.S. Not relying or expecting on seeing any or all of this $200 anytime soon. We’re used to being on our own way out here in the sticks…….🍀
              Last edited by woodland; Aug 27, 2021, 22:25.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...