• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lite oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lite oats

Neighbor harvested his oats.
    #3 very lite.
    No company wants it.
    Not even the hog barns.
    Anyone else seeing this?

Oats have too much fibre for hogs. Not digestible enough. Not enough energy. Hulless oats can be used in nursery rations but consistent supply is an issue.

Comment

I am sure a cowboy will likely step up and pay too much for them as a maintenance ration for his cows.

Comment

Light oats still worth alot as cattle feed .Easier to haul in oats than it is hay.with 10 cents a pound for hay light oats at 15 cents os probably a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          I am sure a cowboy will likely step up and pay too much for them as a maintenance ration for his cows.
          Ummm if the next option is 10cent hay or $9 barley light oats can definitely pencil in at the right price. Last winter I sold my barley and bought discounted tough light oats off the neighbour instead. Win-win for both parties. 🍀

Comment

they are called "diet oats" not light. its all in the branding.
            But at the moment ,I'm drinking a Michelob ultra branded as an "exceptional light beer" on the can, so what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Ummm if the next option is 10cent hay or $9 barley light oats can definitely pencil in at the right price. Last winter I sold my barley and bought discounted tough light oats off the neighbour instead. Win-win for both parties. 🍀
              Yup that's what I was meaning. The paying too much just referred to feed grain prices in general.

Comment

Depends how light they are? I have 38 pound oats. Delivered them to Richardson today. They're doing some tests loads at Martensville. Could always run them through a rotary cleaner to get the weight up. Then sell the light screenings to the cattle guys.

Comment

strange ?
                  even the burnt up oats up on the hill are 250 gm
                  no rain for two years , only yielded about 60
                  is this a variety thing ?

Comment

Haven't got a weight yet but they are lighter, but the mills are going to need something and if all the the oats are light, they'll have to rethink 42 lb. oats. 57 lb. last year but still low overall yield because of areas drowned out.

Comment

Make sure the guy who did the test did it right, the usual calculation dont work, oats is a different formula.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...