• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you riding with the Hells Angels?
    Maybe owe them a favor for bill collections?

Comment

Some hemp has been harvested here.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
        We did some barley and if I post yields I’ll be accused of spreading misinformation.
        If wheat and canola are the same I’ll be happy, hopefully it doesn’t turn into a long wet harvest, nature has a way of balancing itself sometime or another.
        Was it synergy bly?
        Really doing well here compared to Copeland..

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
          Rain here as we started the first wheat field.

Can’t figure out what I am doing wrong still no tomatoes
          Is that a Horse Chestnut? We brought a few seeds home from Hyde Park in London, now we have a vigorous growing tree with leaves like that in our front yard. We will have to move it with a tree mover this fall. ( MJ would have bunches of bud on tips)

Comment

Post because I had over a 100 last couple years and this year half at best it's all about the rain. A few got the rest didn't consider yourself really lucky. New varieties are way better. It's farming. 3 inches doesn't grow much. You need 5 one every month from April on.

Comment

Pretty good rain, closed in and misty this am. More coming later in the weekend. Lots of cereals still out. I wonder if a downgrade is in the works now. In 2018 we had a 3 day misty rain right at harvest and had sprouting just enough to knock the grade down to a #2.

Comment

First measurable rain since june 08.Could not have come at a worst time.About a third harvest done,peas 10-17 ,lentils 8-15, wheat 15-28, durum 15-20, barley 10-22.No canola off yet but crop looks brutal, estimate 5-15.Have no idea how the USDA is predicting a 33 bu/ac canola crop.Also bushel weights are low and seed size is small on all crops.Checked ripe canola seed and its brown and seeds are hollow , not sure but would think oil content will be low.

Comment

Lovely rain 8 tenths in my guage just 2 months late.

Comment

6/10 so far today and yes the down grading game will begin. Don't let them baffle you with bullshit as our HRS is needed to blend with the crap wheat to make a decent loaf of bread. Back in the frost years both frost and #1 made the same loaf just farmers got ****ed.

Comment

A few combines rolling in the area. Mostly on barley. Most guys in my immediate area have quit growing peas. Barley yields so far a little better than expected, ranging from 50-70 bpa with decent bushel weights. But all you have to do is go 30 miles southeast and yields are closer to 10 bpa with lots being rolled up for feed.

Most wheat has been pre harvested, first wheat in the area was combined a few days ago, yielded around 50 by the sounds of it. Wheat looks better from the road than it is.

Some canola being swathed. My son and I have swathed a couple fields, highly variable, shows where the soil is lacking for sure. Again I would say it looks better from the road. I am not going to guess yield except to say it is below average.

I only grew one field of yellow peas, hope to finish combining it today. Certainly is standing nice for a change.

Pastures are about toast, supplementing one pasture already, expect to do that on all of them soon.

Was +3 this morning just to the west of me, +2 forecast for Monday night. Never takes long to cool off in this country.

Comment

Looks like Wednesday morning will be dicey for temps again here

Comment

Another dry week here. Lots of peas are off and canola is starting to get knocked down.

If necessity is the mother of all inventions then this is her baby this week. Made from shrapnel laying around and works great for pulling water well pumps with a tractor and no effort whatsoever. Pulled one by hand last week and there was two more for sure to pull yet and the back said no way. Best project of the year.

The corn is making cobs and hanging on exceptionally well for the conditions. Already had requests for custom planting next year but declined them as there’s hardly time to get our stuff done it seems.

Pulled the bulls out of the “hopefully” bred heifers the other day. They’re looking great and will be preg tested in month or so. Sold all the yearling steers and they’re headed south on Wednesday. Wished they could’ve stayed longer like normal but Ma Nature isn’t going to let that happen. Can’t complain too much about prices considering the cost of gain is crazy compared to a year ago.

Kinda looking forward to the end of the year when the draglines quit chewing through ground towards us. Sucks seeing what used to be nice fields of ours turned into pits and spoil piles for probably the next couple decades til it hopefully gets reclaimed.

Still building fence and pumping water to get the cows some more grazing time. Haven’t even spruced up a combine yet as the pastures have been consuming all our time.

Hopefully next year returns to some sort of normalcy. The cows agree with me.

Good luck everyone 🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...