• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle guys

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle guys

Is the funding announced going to help?

Why has there been no announcement on how to apply?

How many guys have sold cows already?

Seems while everyone is taking the time to thank each other nothing is getting done other than cows keep getting sold.

Yeah in the announcement, “more details in the coming days” hasn’t turned out to be very accurate.

We still haven’t heard what the valuation on a ewe is either.

Comment

And yes, it will help us personally. IF it actually happens. I had pre booked some hay with a guy way back at reasonable prices when I saw we may be short. If they value the ewes at what I would expect them to relative to cows, it would more than buy us enough extra hay to keep things positive here.

Comment

Just focused on buying feed, regardless of any program support or not. The price of all livestock next year will be to the moon. Over 1/2 the cows in my area are already gone, with possibly another 25% to go. 50% calf crop next year with 50% of that being retained as heifers, so only 25% of calves will actually hit market fall year. I am saying at least $3-$3.50 on 5 weight steers fall 2022.

One of the worst hit guys here went from 140 cows to just over 30 within a month.

Comment

I don't think this program will be all it's being promoted.

Alberta is receipts based for federal part.

The others might follow that.

They won't spend anywhere near what is in the announcements.

Cattle will just get sold.

For all the around the clock work Bibeau talks about...it seems no one is actually working.

The program will administer itself????

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
            Just focused on buying feed, regardless of any program support or not. The price of all livestock next year will be to the moon. Over 1/2 the cows in my area are already gone, with possibly another 25% to go. 50% calf crop next year with 50% of that being retained as heifers, so only 25% of calves will actually hit market fall year. I am saying at least $3-$3.50 on 5 weight steers fall 2022.

One of the worst hit guys here went from 140 cows to just over 30 within a month.
            If you are left with 100 cows and 50 are heifers...maybe 20 would be replacements.

Funny part will be watching how quick the slaughterhouses get money when there is little to slaughter in a couple years.

Won't be much of a cull market either...

Most herds are going to be sub 5 years old cows by October.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              Yeah in the announcement, “more details in the coming days” hasn’t turned out to be very accurate.

We still haven’t heard what the valuation on a ewe is either.
              Details are sketchy but $40 per ewe in Alberta, would guess SK will be very similar as same amount for cows.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                Details are sketchy but $40 per ewe in Alberta, would guess SK will be very similar as same amount for cows.
                Yeah that’s the assumption I made.

Comment

So the federal government has put in 500 million and the provinces 322...but no knows how to get the money flowing...

Interesting to me...because when the pandemic hit , it didn't take this long for the average Canadian, that is still bitching about farmers, to get their money so they didn't lose the house or their job.

Cows still being sold.

Everything the government did is a dollar short and a month late.

Comment

Tic tok. Cows have the thistles and the fence posts left to eat. Cat tails and foxtail are gone. Called a major feed supplier, they said they could get us something in November, price unknown. Should probably haul 3 loads to the auction this week, instead of 1 like last week. Government money is necessary and appreciated but needed to be in our hands 3 weeks ago.

Comment

The way last winter was and March this spring I took out more sask rainfall insurance on my hay land and pasture land. Probably will not collect in my area or maybe just a bit but do not regret protecting my livestock investments .Wish this program was around in the 80s.

Comment

Cattle guy says crop insurance administering
                        The payment but don’t have forms until mid September
                        So much for immediate help herds will be sold
                        If you can get into a sale. Then when nothing left
                        The forms will be available.
                        What a croc of crap.

Comment

Can use the reciepts for the feed you buy for the cattle you don't have.

Comment

A quick trip to Radville, I saw parched pastures and cows scrounging for any bit of green they could find. Looks like a week of rain could help the cattle guys.

Comment

Combined some oats today that's all they are good for, cattle feed. A strippy gopher started chewing on a few kernels that fell out of the auger hopper, he gave me a dirty look and spit them out

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...