• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing seed long term

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing seed long term

So my pondering on the swather with no radio. I’ve had decent varieties over the years which I quit using in favour of others for good reasons but remember the good qualities they had in certain conditions. Boyer oats were a great early variety. Anyway don’t know if it’s practical but thought I have so many pails with lids and why not save half a dozen pails of every variety I grow. Maybe dig a hole in the hill. Imagine they’d suffer from future diseases in the future but if weather ever turned to their advantage you could replicate them if you had a few bushels. I don’t know maybe a dumb idea.

https://time.com/doomsday-vault/
    Maybe the folks in svalbard will let you borrow some of theirs.

Comment

Accidental like. It is an interesting idea but you’d need more than a dozen pails to make it worthwhile. I get dabs of seed left over accumulating and usually end up just selling them because they just hang around

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        https://time.com/doomsday-vault/
        Maybe the folks in svalbard will let you borrow some of theirs.
        Yeah that’s what got me thinking about this. Lol. Too much thinking time.

Comment

Originally posted by Livewire View Post
          Accidental like. It is an interesting idea but you’d need more than a dozen pails to make it worthwhile. I get dabs of seed left over accumulating and usually end up just selling them because they just hang around
          Yeah it’d take a big hole in the hill. Better to hide my guns and gold in smaller hole.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
            Yeah it’d take a big hole in the hill. Better to hide my guns and gold in smaller hole.
            If you order your seed early before spring, there should be a reasonable supply. Barley yields on good land seem to be turning out better than anticipated! Dry years usually make good germination, less seed needed as the kernels are smaller, so less needed to get the same planted population...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
              If you order your seed early before spring, there should be a reasonable supply. Barley yields on good land seem to be turning out better than anticipated! Dry years usually make good germination, less seed needed as the kernels are smaller, so less needed to get the same planted population...

Cheers
              No wonder you so happy 😂😂

Comment

Do seeds have to be stored at or near freezing to have a long lifespan ( 15-20 years ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  No wonder you so happy 😂😂
                  Tom you bring a lot to this site and thank you , but I guarantee you see huge dollar signs .
                  Good on you for being in that position, but really book your seed early ?? When guys migh and will go broke ?
                  C’mon man

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Tom you bring a lot to this site and thank you , but I guarantee you see huge dollar signs .
                    Good on you for being in that position, but really book your seed early ?? When guys migh and will go broke ?
                    C’mon man
                    I am happy for you if your crop germs and you can plant your own!

In northern/central Alberta and in irrigation country there will be good seed supplies for 2022, northern SK as well.

Folks can see which varieties helg out well... would be wise to plant well adapted varieties for your local area! Many folks will spray glyph fill contracts, and need new seed stocks... not an unreasonable idea to discuss what came through the best in 2021, for 2022.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      So my pondering on the swather with no radio. I’ve had decent varieties over the years which I quit using in favour of others for good reasons but remember the good qualities they had in certain conditions. Boyer oats were a great early variety. Anyway don’t know if it’s practical but thought I have so many pails with lids and why not save half a dozen pails of every variety I grow. Maybe dig a hole in the hill. Imagine they’d suffer from future diseases in the future but if weather ever turned to their advantage you could replicate them if you had a few bushels. I don’t know maybe a dumb idea.
                      Old small unused grain bins with good roof works well or a container to store seed stocks long term. Dry and cool storage is the best.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                        Old small unused grain bins with good roof works well or a container to store seed stocks long term. Dry and cool storage is the best.

Cheers

LOL!!!
                        Just thinking about Gerry Ritz standing up in the house telling all his crony's that it was the CWB that spoiled all his grain when all he had to do was put it in small, old wooden bins and wait until there was a market. He sure had them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...