• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baling barley?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baling barley?

So on my new hay the volunteer barley came in strong. Lots of material there, just fully headed and tall and leafy. I want to cut it and bale it up. Are the beards an issue for critters eating them?

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    So on my new hay the volunteer barley came in strong. Lots of material there, just fully headed and tall and leafy. I want to cut it and bale it up. Are the beards an issue for critters eating them?
    Some are rough awn and some are smooth awn.
    Smooth is self explanitory if you look at it close.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
      Some are rough awn and some are smooth awn.
      Smooth is self explanitory if you look at it close.
      I purposefully try to choose only rough awn varieties because the deer and moose stay away from it that way. I have baled lots of it, saved the chaff, swath grazed, and turned them in to hailed crop, almost never had a problem. Maybe a couple of abscesses that went away on their own
      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 12, 2021, 21:22.

Comment

Yeah it’s Copeland rough awn. Just have no experience w sheep. I want to cut it soon while it’s green. Not trying for dough, trying for leaves and still tender stems. Also want to capture the wild oats and give the new alfalfa time to prep for winter. Will likely also assure feed supply, or have some to sell even.

Thanks.

Comment

If it’s a rough awn cut it sooner than later. It can cause lump jaw in cattle (not sure about sheep) if the awns are stiffer. Not a pleasant experience dealing with it as it’s not easily treatable. Silage bales or chopping eliminates the issue.

“Lots of material, leafy, and tall” do not describe much for crops around here. Hopefully you get some pretty bales made. Enjoy🍀

Comment

Almost all 2 row barley is rough awn. The only true smooth awn 2 row is Maverick and it would not be suitable for grain so would be grown deliberately for forage.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...